Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2012, 15:14   #2011
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

^^ The way I look at it is - BTP manages traffic in Bangalore on the whole, they are not necessarily restricted to managing only KA registered vehicles here. By penalizing non-KA vehicles before June 6th and giving time for locals to get films removed, the rule is actually absurd. Going by the logic of the ruling (to prevent crime), does this mean KA registered vehicles can either be used for "criminal" activities or are considered ultra-safe, law-abiding citizens until 6th June, while non-KA vehicles are considered to be potential threats immediately? If they start collecting the penalty, better to do it uniformly from one date for all vehicles, rather than inflict step-motherly treatment till then.

We can't have newspapers mentioning the extension in the date to June 6th on one side, and traffic police catching non-KA vehicles off guard and saying the extension is only for KA vehicles, on the other side. There needs to be a proper clarification / communication on such things.

Last edited by KarthikK : 24th May 2012 at 15:27.
Old 24th May 2012, 15:29   #2012
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Slightly OT, people normally forget the grief once they get something nice to cheer-up. In this case, it’s the other way around. A bigger pain came up (in the form of Petrol price hike), and suddenly the sun-film agony started to look trivial. This thread has a sudden drop in action after the price hike announcement
As a matter of fact, both are related, in a way. Remove sun film, use more AC, lesser milage, more petrol consumption, expensive fuel, bigger hole in the wallet

Rajan
Old 24th May 2012, 15:32   #2013
BHPian

No action being taken in Hyderabad as of now. I don't care even if they stop me some day and remove my all black tints on all glasses. I made my mind and I'm prepared. I'm ready with curtains :-P
kingofmyworld is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 15:45   #2014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
^^ The way I look at it is - BTP manages traffic in Bangalore on the whole, they are not necessarily restricted to managing only KA registered vehicles here. By penalizing non-KA vehicles before June 6th and giving time for locals to get films removed, the rule is actually absurd. Going by the logic of the ruling (to prevent crime), does this mean KA registered vehicles can either be used for "criminal" activities or are considered ultra-safe, law-abiding citizens until 6th June, while non-KA vehicles are considered to be potential threats immediately? If they start collecting the penalty, better to do it uniformly from one date for all vehicles, rather than inflict step-motherly treatment till then.

We can't have newspapers mentioning the extension in the date to June 6th on one side, and traffic police catching non-KA vehicles off guard and saying the extension is only for KA vehicles, on the other side. There needs to be a proper clarification / communication on such things.
It may have 2 agenda, as other states have not given any timelines, so the rule is actually implemented from 4th May, so BTP is within its own limits to fine them, and other point is to check non-KA registered cars, who are avoiding road tax and staying in KA.
asdon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 15:58   #2015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Interpretation of the law is with connection to the spirit of law. Don't do word by word interpretation. The intention of the law by an enactment is the first and foremost thing .
If tints are the only constraint, i do not see a reason why films like 3M CR70 are banned. They dont block any view. One can clearly see the occupants from outside
Old 24th May 2012, 16:10   #2016
Senior - BHPian

I will be buying those black cotton window stick ons if I've to remove sunfilm. I will wait till Supreme Court bans those and I will invest in window curtains. When those are banned, I will seal the windows completely.

The order is meaningless. Is it wrong to collectively defy a stupid order?
Old 24th May 2012, 16:13   #2017
BHPian

Just removed the sunfilms from my car. It doesn't looks good and lost my privacy as well.
Old 24th May 2012, 16:22   #2018
BHPian

No action in Pune last week or so... and I have run across many cops and officers in the interim. Off to Goa for a few days, and hopefully, I will not have any problems on the way!
Old 24th May 2012, 16:28   #2019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post

70% MIN Transparency (of the glass) X 70% VLT (of the film) theoretically make 49%, which is not legal. But have you tested it practically? When 2 surfaces are joined together the VLR of the second surface will not be as high as if it was the only surface and hence increasing the VLT. My point is, please test using a lux meter (available on ebay.in for 1-2k) how far the theoretical calculation holds true.
Could you please post a link to the product? I searched high and low on ebay.in, but am unable to find any such device for 1-2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post

BTW, here's one of my cars with illegal films at night, as per some novice unsubstantiated theoretical calculations, this is 49% VLT and by that logic 24% VLT pass through the car.
Here is where that novice resides. And they seem to be manufacturing these meters as well as training law enforcement officers.

Thanks,
Rajan
Old 24th May 2012, 16:35   #2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Yes, This was happened exactly 6:50 P.M. Actually, I used to maintain right lane to escape from them. But this time, they caught me when i just came out from the tollbooth. I had no other way to stop.

Today, I gave my car to BOSCH service centre, Vadapalani to peel off sunfilms to avoid further fines. Because, to my enroute (with less traffic) cops always waiting for.
Hi Jebs,

How much did it cost to remove the sunfilm at Bosch service center? My friend got it removed at GP road for Rs. 200. They use a paper cutter knife to remove it and then clean the windshield with glass cleaner. Do they do the same procedure at Bosch or is it something more professional?

-r
Old 24th May 2012, 17:12   #2021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post

Non co operation movement? Its seems right after many years, not at that time.
Old 24th May 2012, 17:14   #2022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I will be buying those black cotton window stick ons if I've to remove sunfilm. I will wait till Supreme Court bans those and I will invest in window curtains. When those are banned, I will seal the windows completely.

If you go through the order SC has mentioned
Quote:
" 23. In light of the above discussion, we have no hesitation in holding that use of black films or any other material upon safety glass, windscreen and side windows is impermissible."
So don't waste on curtains, get some Petrol/Diesel.

Last edited by asdon : 24th May 2012 at 17:16.
Old 24th May 2012, 17:24   #2023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
No action in Pune last week or so... and I have run across many cops and officers in the interim. Off to Goa for a few days, and hopefully, I will not have any problems on the way!
happy holidays, bring back some petrol for us. or at least the winds that reduce tax on petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
No action being taken in Hyderabad as of now. I don't care even if they stop me some day and remove my all black tints on all glasses. I made my mind and I'm prepared. I'm ready with curtains :-P
This is what I intend to do. Er, am doing!
Old 24th May 2012, 17:28   #2024
BANNED

Guys

Are the Traffic dept/RTO the only cops allowed to penalize vehicles for tints? I mean if a brown shirted regular cop out on a bribe hunt decides to rake up a list of offences and starts talking about my tints, Can I tell him to FO ..?

--R
Old 24th May 2012, 17:34   #2025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Guys

Are the Traffic dept/RTO the only cops allowed to penalize vehicles for tints? I mean if a brown shirted regular cop out on a bribe hunt decides to rake up a list of offences and starts talking about my tints, Can I tell him to FO ..?

--R
It's a law & order issue so you can't tell any cops that word who will be checking for tints.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks