Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2020, 08:44   #256
BHPian

Re: Brake failure issues in the Kia Seltos

This thread seems to have gone quiet and lost all the traction. My cousin has booked a Seltos last week 1.5L Petrol manual last week and it would not be fair if I did not tell him about this issue which clearly looks more of a design defect (affecting all Seltos of a particular type) than manufacturing defect (affecting a certain batch).

I read through the posts and from what I could understand, there's insufficient brake boost at low RPMs causing hardening of brake pedals and ABS sensor releasing brake pressure more than required causing insufficient braking. Would appreciate if someone could help me understand these issues are present in 1.5L petrol manual variants of Seltos and if yes, has there been any resolution by Kia for this?

Off-topic: Reading these posts and and other posts referenced in this thread made me realise Selos / Creta have these issues since several years now. Hyundai / Kia has become only the second manufacturer after Maruti Suzuki where customers seem to overlook the shortcomings of cars and accept the trade-off in favour of overall value proposition. In my case, I highly doubt my cousin would re-consider his decision even if I told him that Seltos has potentially inadequate brakes.
ksameer1234 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 11:29   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
In my case, I highly doubt my cousin would re-consider his decision even if I told him that Seltos has potentially inadequate brakes.
Exactly the case why Hyundai have got away with it all these years and now Kia will too.
akhil994 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 12:25   #258
Senior - BHPian

An update: The owner had taken the car(one in which the brake booster was changed)couple of days back for scheduled service besides checks on brakes. Kia has just done basic checks like cleaning the brakes, measuring brake pad thickness etc. They 'advised' not to drive the car in very low rpm and to downshift early and avoid lugging. Seeing the advise given, guess they've been following this thread. Apart from that, nothing else is done. It seems like they've given up on this or rather clueless.

Not sure what else the owner could do at this stage.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 6th November 2020 at 12:33.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 19:57   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
An update: The owner had taken the car(one in which the brake booster was changed)couple of days back for scheduled service besides checks on brakes. Kia has just done basic checks like cleaning the brakes, measuring brake pad thickness etc. They 'advised' not to drive the car in very low rpm and to downshift early and avoid lugging. Seeing the advise given, guess they've been following this thread. Apart from that, nothing else is done. It seems like they've given up on this or rather clueless.

Would have sold the car very next day and filed a case in High court for endagerment of life + under article 21(Protection of life and liberty).

One can never enjoy such a car. I won't be able to sleep after such a disastrous situation.
Sran is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 22:18   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
In my case, I highly doubt my cousin would re-consider his decision even if I told him that Seltos has potentially inadequate brakes.
If the latest sub 3* gncap safety rating doesn’t change his mind, he is clearly not interested in his family’s safety when in the car. Crappy brakes, bad structural stability... wow looks like we can be sold anything with a bit of makeup on
Red Liner is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 23:19   #261
BHPian

I feel as a group TBHP Seltos owners who are affected should file a case against Hyundai/Kia for life threatening quality issues. Unless Kia is publicly humiliated for these issues in media, I don’t see them fixing this.

Has anyone got this Fixed ?
Godzilla is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 00:02   #262
BHPian

3 star rating and crappy brakes - looks like the TRoc is actually vfm at 2.5 lakh extra if you value your family
JishD is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 08:54   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
I feel as a group TBHP Seltos owners who are affected should file a case against Hyundai/Kia for life threatening quality issues. Unless Kia is publicly humiliated for these issues in media, I don’t see them fixing this.

Completely agree. This kind of crash rating or faulty brake issues very easily escapes the general public's eye since most are anyways not even aware that such a rating exists or is relevant. As long as the car has features and a sunroof and looks fancy, all is forgiven. These hard facts need to be called out and publicised in all possible social media and other forums (not just niche forums like ours) and only then could it hope to have any impact whatsoever on the unsuspecting everyday consumer. Till then the Kia craze will continue unabated while the boffins at Kia are laughing all the way to their banks.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 12th November 2020 at 08:56.
arindambasu13 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 09:14   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The potential issues with Creta brakes and quality issues with few other Hyundai cars have been shared on our forum a couple of years ago. Did it deter people like us from buying a new Hyundai or even a used one?

When Maruti AMT technology was new, users reported juddering and AMT failure cases. Did this impact the long term sales of AMT cars? We still continue to buy DSG and DCT fitted cars with a hope that we wouldn't be impacted!

Now let's talk about scores of cars which are sold in India but haven't been tested till date - how good or bad is a XYZ model from ABC company?

Unless the Government steps in and makes it mandatory to perform and share crash test results, no one can blame any OEM. As per current laws, they are still within the rules.

What is required is a law where OEM has to show the crash results of all the models sold by them (just like the power consumption star rating shown on electrical appliances). A buyer can then make an informed decision to buy a 5-Star or a Perk!
ashis89 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 10:02   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
It seems like they've given up on this or rather clueless.

Sounds like Kia instructing it’s dealer to pretend everything’s fine & dandy.

See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
Would have sold the car very next day and filed a case in High court for endagerment of life + under article 21(Protection of life and liberty).

One can never enjoy such a car. I won't be able to sleep after such a disastrous situation.
Quote:

It’s hard to get something fixed when the manufacturer vehemently refuses to acknowledge that the issue even exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
The potential issues with Creta brakes and quality issues with few other Hyundai cars have been shared on our forum a couple of years ago. Did it deter people like us from buying a new Hyundai or even a used one?

What is required is a law where OEM has to show the crash results of all the models sold by them
It won’t deter people who have vanity at the top of their buying priorities.

Hopefully this thread and the latest crash test results will help to reinforce the importance of giving safety the top priority during a new car purchase.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 10:26   #266
MSC
BHPian

Hello all.
I am not a technical person. Infact I am not even distantly related to mechanicals. I may be wrong as well but, if I am not wrong, the earlier variants of Swift LXi and VXi were also having something similar issues. In that issue as well these variants of Swift behaved in a manner which is somewhat identical to the issue faced here as well. In Swift also braking was found to be inadequate at lower engine RPMs.
It was fixed with some sort of software update which didn't let the engine RPMs fall below the desired levels.
May be a similar ECU update can be useful for the Korean cousins as well.

Last edited by MSC : 12th November 2020 at 10:30.
MSC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 10:43   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

It should be KIA/Hyundai since lot of Hyundai cars have been affected too. But I don't think they will even move a finger. Currently, they are silently rectifying the issues and haven't issued a recall which should have been the case.

I tried to get their attention for months and tried various sources to contact their top management yet they were silent. They are aware of this thread and are actively following this as I got this info from our family friend who owns a dealership here.

And if you look at the Seltos/Creta thread, most of the BHPians are new to the forum and might not be aware of this thread. I seriously think this and Crazy Driver's thread should be pinned to all KIA and Hyundai official reviews. Maybe then KIA/Hyundai might get in touch with TeamBHP.

Last edited by naveen.raju : 12th November 2020 at 10:46.
naveen.raju is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 12:17   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
It’s hard to get something fixed when the manufacturer vehemently refuses to acknowledge that the issue even exists.
I would suggest to try a few things.
  1. Try to recreate the error and videotape it.
  2. Send the faulty ABS units to an independant agency to find the root cause. See below for contact details.
  3. If the test results does not comply with Indian/global regulations, then initiate legal action.

I understand it can be tricky legally as the regulations may not clearly talk about repeatability and also the road surfaces for braking regulations. This seems to happen mostly on rough roads. Any Lawyer BHPian could help us compare Indian regulations vs the test results. In an Ideal world, Indian Govt should update/amend regulations based on these new scenarios.

BUT, filing a case itself hopefully will draw the attention and force Kia/Hyundai to take action.

India based SGS +91 (0) 22 6640 8888

https://www.sgsgroup.in/en-gb/transp...bs-esp-testing

UK Based
    https://www.actronics.co.uk/abs-ecu
    https://www.ecutesting.com/categories/abs-pump-modules/

Another question is How repeatable is this brake issue? If it happens on a specific type of road surface at specific speed then it might be possible to recreate it (Obiviously in a closed road).

Attached Thumbnails
Brake failure issues in the Kia Seltos-abs-testing.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Indian regulations.pdf (1.17 MB, 204 views)

Last edited by Godzilla : 12th November 2020 at 12:24.
Godzilla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 19:35   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
It should be KIA/Hyundai since lot of Hyundai cars have been affected too. But I don't think they will even move a finger. Currently, they are silently rectifying the issues and haven't issued a recall which should have been the case. .
They have lost me as a customer for sure, and I make sure to tell all my friends who are thinking about buying a car.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 21:04   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
3 star rating and crappy brakes - looks like the TRoc is actually vfm at 2.5 lakh extra if you value your family
They are like chalk and cheese. TROC is CBU and comes with 5 star rating. Seltos is custom made for third world with added dose of bling. 2mil OTR for Seltos is daylight robbery.
C300 is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks