Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2020, 12:56   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Brake failure issues in the Kia Seltos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
The easiest way to demonstrate the vacuum booster effect is to drive to a sloping road, press and hold down the brake and stop the engine. With the clutch pedal pressed, the brake is released and the car should start moving down the slope. As the brakes are pumped when the car is moving down the slope, each subsequent application should become harder until a maximum is reached after about 3 applications.

Each time the brake is applied some vacuum is used up. The reserve quantity is generally good for only about 2 or 3 brake applications.
I tried this today on my diesel manual Seltos. Stopped at a signal which was at a very mild incline. While waiting for the light to turn green, I kept releasing till the car moved a bit and then pumped the brakes. Did it for good 9 times even in quick succession but never found any difference in pedal feel or brake effectiveness. Car was idling with AC on.

Brake system running out of vacuum doesn't seem to be the problem, at least in the diesel.

Last edited by ashis89 : 24th October 2020 at 13:13.
Old 24th October 2020, 13:45   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Did it for good 9 times even in quick succession but never found any difference in pedal feel or brake effectiveness. Car was idling with AC on.
Hi Ashis, It's supposed to be done with the engine shut.
Old 24th October 2020, 14:01   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
I thought the issue was not enough vacuum being generated at near idle/stall RPM. Isn't that the concern?

The hard pedal and brake failure have been reported when the users were driving at higher gears and low speeds (leading to very low RPM).

As such booster brakes are not expected to work with the engine shut down (had learnt it the hard way in my previous car).
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 14:27   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought the issue was not enough vacuum being generated at near idle/stall RPM. Isn't that the concern

As such booster brakes are not expected to work with the engine shut down (had learnt it the hard way in my previous car).
Guess someone suggested it to just replicate the wooden feel of brake pedal. With engine shut, there would be enough vaccum for two or maximum three more applications before the vaccum is depleted fully. One would feel it's getting harder and harder.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 14:39   #215
BANNED

Quote:
I tried this today on my diesel manual Seltos.

Its a petrol only issue. Refer Post #142 in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Found this on Facebook

Brake failure issues in the Kia Seltos-122076254_1858850694268805_8898026817983993057_o.jpg

Last edited by turbo : 24th October 2020 at 14:42.
turbo is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 15:56   #216
BHPian

Quote:
...Car was idling with AC on.

Brake system running out of vacuum doesn't seem to be the problem, at least in the diesel.
The engine must be off before you try this. If the engine is running, so is the vacuum pump.
Old 24th October 2020, 16:50   #217
BHPian

I will anyday buy a Renault with poor interiors, Maruti with a not so strong build or a Skoda with only one or two service centers in the whole city, than go through all kinds of anxiety while driving .
Nalin1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 17:12   #218
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
I will anyday buy a Renault with poor interiors, Maruti with a not so strong build or a Skoda with only one or two service centers in the whole city, than go through all kinds of anxiety while driving .
Renault Duster has only 3 star ratings in NCAP while Brezza has 4. Still prefer Reanult over Suzuki !!
anb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 22:45   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would go for ecosport in this case! We do have more options now in all segments.
giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 07:46   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Its a petrol only issue. Refer Post #142 in this thread.
I thought the same but two others clarified that we cannot yet conclude it to be a Petrol Only issue. As it stands there is no conclusion yet on it being a Petrol only issue. Check the previous few pages here for more info.

Quote:
In this segment Maruti has a proven GNCAP 4 star-rated car with the Brezza - we have to raise doubts only about other untested cars here and not Maruti. It is an exception to general Maruti cars but lets appreciate them for this exception called Brezza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Renault Duster has only 3 star ratings in NCAP while Brezza has 4. Still prefer Reanult over Suzuki !!
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 09:50   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Quote:
I thought the issue was not enough vacuum being generated at near idle/stall RPM. Isn't that the concern?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
The engine must be off before you try this. If the engine is running, so is the vacuum pump.
In that case would a vacuum reservoir with sufficient capacity connected in series with the brake booster line solve the problem?.

Brake failure issues in the Kia Seltos-reservoir.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
The petrols - any of these turbo petrols? What is the vacuum source for these turbo petrols?

Sutripta
I will wait till somone who has a first hand knowledge of the issue replies but in case the issue also ocurs with a turbo petrol , i dont see how the Piston vacuum generation theory works with tubo inlet (positive pressure in inlet).
Old 25th October 2020, 10:04   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I thought the same but two others clarified that we cannot yet conclude it to be a Petrol Only issue. As it stands there is no conclusion yet on it being a Petrol only issue. Check the previous few pages here for more info.

In this segment Maruti has a proven GNCAP 4 star-rated car with the Brezza - we have to raise doubts only about other untested cars here and not Maruti. It is an exception to general Maruti cars but lets appreciate them for this exception called Brezza.

The safety ratings argument is a nice one as Maruti-Suzuki Brezza is worth it.

But, we also need to understand that safety if relative to the weight of the vehicle, speed & the nut behind the steering wheel.

Coming to Seltos/ Creta petrol low revs brake booster malfunctioning issue, I believe one needs to keep vehicle in correct drive band & not lug it. It also causes harm to engine,

I believe Hyundai-Kia will look into the matter silently, which is condemnable, but, they seem to be avoiding - one blip in product reputation & other rush at service centres as in Kia's case their service network is picking up. Not everyone had privilege as Maruti-Suzuki re the after sales network.
CARDEEP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 12:09   #223
BHPian

I don't know why safety ratings and all that came into picture .

All I meant in a generic way was, any car with other minor issues is fine as long I don't have to bother about its braking capabilities or braking technicalities.

Let's get back to the Seltos again and I sincerely hope that this issue is laid to rest soon. Surely even if it is only a handful of units now, we don't want to ruin the peace of mind of thousands of other owners.
Nalin1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 12:29   #224
BHPian

Seltos, while well built, with good rear seat legroom, a decently sized boot and a (somewhat) peppy engine, already felt too jazzed up, with too much electronics and the creepiness of being always connected to the manufacturer.

This safety issue is the decider.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 14:07   #225
Team-BHP Support

Saw something crazy yesterday, which could quite possibly have been a braking issue with the Seltos.

Went to drop and pick up wife from a friend's place on the highway. I was parked 500 metres away and started the car once she called to pick her up. A new Swift and a top end Seltos (with the fancy LED lighting) passed by and I joined the highway behind them. Both these cars were moving slow, and I was right behind them, barely shifting to third gear, when the Swift slows down as the another car ahead turned on the indicators to turn right - and unfortunately - the Seltos just went and crashed right into it.

Looked like either the Seltos just didn't brake or the driver got distracted and didn't notice the situation - because he seems to have violently swerved last minute, but still couldn't avoid hitting the left side of the Swift's boot. Speed could have been just about 30 kmph only - I just didn't expect a crash! Felt like the Seltos didn't slow down by much even when swerving.

The boot of Swift had a bad dent as expected of it. I couldn't see if the Seltos sustained any damage. Since both parties appeared not injured, and wife was already waiting in the dark by the roadside - I slowly moved ahead.

May be the driver got distracted and it may not be a fault of the car - but sure was quite unnerving to witness right in front of me at such slow speeds!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks