Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2021, 15:27   #181
BHPian

Re: Cars that you regret NOT buying!

oh man, long list :-)

I'll narrow it down to the ones that were seriously considered when a purchase was being made

The Fiesta Petrol (new) - Could have afforded it with a small loan, but did not want to take a loan- ended up buying a maruti.

The first gen thar - was supposed to be a treat for me. Ended up getting the RE classic 500 instead.
Old 26th October 2021, 16:06   #182
Senior - BHPian

The Only Automotive regrets I have:-

1) Back in 2008, I was looking at my first used car between 3-3.5L.
I was looking at a 2003 City Vtec then, however, I didn't have much exposure back then, and i ended up buying a Hyundai Accent GLE, as it had better/beige interiors

2) 2011, It was time to upgrade from my Karizma, I ended up buying Royal Enfield Classic Chrome instead of a CBR 250. Hated the classic so much after Karizma, that I managed only 6500kms on it from 2011-2017, and almost left riding
Old 22nd November 2021, 17:14   #183
BHPian

Oh God, old wound !
Year 2011, I was on my car change journey, finalized Punto emotion pack but same day found low run Skoda Octavia, I test drove it, it was really in good condition. Car was well maintained at authorized service center.
I developed cold feet at last min due to skoda high maintenance stories and after sales service. later i heard that the person who purchased it had niggle free experience.
Old 22nd November 2021, 19:04   #184
Senior - BHPian

Fiat Palio GT (1.6): I was upgrading from my Matiz and ended up buying a Honda City GXI (iDtec) after rejecting the Palio GT due to the milage concerns.
Mitsubishi Cedia: Bought Honda City AT again in 2009 and later felt I should have gone for the Cedia
Octavia combi vRs: Being a fan of estates and crossovers I should have gone for this (by stretching my budget) and I would have retained it for really long.
Polo GT (1.2): When we were looking for a city hatch (automatic) to be used primarily by my wife, i20 Elite CVT looked like a sensible choice even though my heart was set on Polo GT. After buying i20, I ended up using the car more and soon realised I should have gone for Polo GT .

Last edited by Guna : 22nd November 2021 at 19:07.
Old 22nd November 2021, 20:25   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Fiat Palio GT (1.6): I was upgrading from my Matiz and ended up buying a Honda City GXI (iDtec) after rejecting the Palio GT due to the milage concerns.
OT:
Sir, I don't think the dolphin honda city came with an i-dtec diesel. Honda's first diesel came with the Amaze way later in 2013. Perhaps you meant idsi instead?

Last edited by porsche_guy : 22nd November 2021 at 20:30.
porsche_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 20:38   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
OT:
Sir, I don't think the dolphin honda city came with an i-dtec diesel. Honda's first diesel came with the Amaze way later in 2013. Perhaps you meant idsi instead?
Sorry, I meant 'i-DSI'.
@mods can you please correct it in my original post?
Old 24th November 2021, 10:49   #187
Senior - BHPian

Chevrolet Captiva. I had it in mind for the future but Chevy exited India. The Chevy Cruze also was impressive.

Last edited by adisan : 24th November 2021 at 10:54.
Old 25th November 2021, 14:37   #188
BHPian

My regrets:

When I was out to buy my very first car, I have it narrowed down to two cars - Fiesta 1.6 and Aveo 1.6. On paper, both of them were similar specs and Aveo had much nicer interiors. In the end, lack of sufficient insights into driving dynamics meant I ended up choosing Aveo. I never regretted buying Aveo as it was a very comfortable car with decent performance from 1.6L engine. However, the regret stays for not appreciating Fiesta enough.

Not being able to buy Pulsar from their very first pilot batch of 250 units. I started chasing the Bajaj reps over emails when I read about Pulsar and they confirmed that they are willing sell one to me to be a test mule for their very first set of bikes. Life jumped in and made me chose between saving up for my MBA vs. buying a bike. Long story short - I ended up becoming a car guy than a bike guy. I still toy with the idea of buying my first bike 20 years on!
Old 10th December 2022, 23:02   #189

The most interesting thread I've come across. I couldn't help but to answer this question. It will be a long list, but would definitely not a boring one

Going by chronological order (cars I dreamt of buying)

1. Suzuki sx4 - I have always felt it was one of the best looking cars that maruti has given us (may be it's just me). It looked masculine, robust and also stood ahead in all aspects of 'quality' that we expect in todays cars. But the poor FE of the petrol engine has stopped me from buying it in the used car market. The diesel would be a good pick though (still the boring interiors don't reflect sportiness).

2. The OG for endeavour - Biggg fan of how it looks (The 1st gen to be specific). It just appeals so much to me, more than today's cars. (again, it might just be me). Seriously considered buying a used one for dirt cheap, but my mechanic said the service is going to be a nightmare. So stepped aside.

3. The Pajero - A car that I really craved for. Biggest regret that India lost such a great car. But I am happy to see people still maintaining a good resale market for the Pajero (inspite lack of after sales service)rather than treating the car like some shit box that cannot be saved any further. I badly want one even today. It is just that I am not yet financially stable enough to own one.

4. The Punto/Linea/Avventura - The cars I actually hoped that I would own one day or the other (considering it's availability and a manageable service network). Major regret that Fiat didn't cook these well enough to stay long. It has been more than 1.5yrs Since I started searching for a good punto in the used car market (No one seems to sell a good Punto). Now I have started to feel I might not be able to find one that satisfies me.

5. Other cars I knew/know I can't afford to keep them running but still Would love to have them running on our roads - The Kizashi, The grand vitara (The most good looking SUV from Maruti), The OG Civic, The Honda city type 2, The accord

6. Lastly the list of recently discontinued cars/ facelifted cars - Really missing the 2nd Gen Swift, The duster/terrano, Nissan Kicks etc.
Old 11th December 2022, 00:15   #190
Senior - BHPian

I think I speak for a lot of us when I say the 3.2 Endeavour. We waited on buying it during the last year because I was convinced that they would bring in the twin turbo diesel engine any day now. Then Ford just shut up shop and left. Tried for a while to get a good pre-owned example but by then the pandemic used car inflation/speculation was fully underway and I finally gave up. Pains me everytime I see a black one on the road now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks