Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Ford EcoSport with or without the Tailgate mounted Spare wheel. Which one looks better ?
The tailgate mounted Spare wheel looks good. Should have retained it ! 540 77.47%
The new clean look of the tailgate devoid of the spare looks better. 92 13.20%
Both are ok. Frankly I cant see the difference ! 65 9.33%
Voters: 697. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2021, 10:27   #136
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport SE variant dealer dispatches begin; no tailgate-mounted spare

Without spare wheel this becomes strictly in-city vehicle, there should have been some other way they packed the spare wheel.
Irrespective of the looks, the one with spare wheel is a better choice.
RaceHorse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 12:56   #137
Senior - BHPian

Ford Ecosport SE variant teased by Ford India

Ford EcoSport SE variant dealer dispatches begin; no tailgate-mounted spare-smartselect_20210305125409_twitter.jpg

Ford EcoSport SE variant dealer dispatches begin; no tailgate-mounted spare-smartselect_20210305125448_twitter.jpg

Quote:
Same Unlimited Fun, Different Style. New Ford EcoSport SE Coming Soon.
Link
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 14:37   #138
BHPian

Ford India is really joking around. They used to confuse the customers with their ever confusing variants that keep on skipping functions every month.

Now they thought of deleting the spare tyre and give it a try. Maybe soon, they will delete the back seats and offer it as a 2 seater for that superior boot capacity.

SE probably stands for Spare Eliminated.

It's not about the deletion of the spare tyre from the back but the total elimination of the spare tyre from the car. Superb thinking Ford India.
igemini is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 10:15   #139
BHPian

A few questions :

1. Is the spare really eliminated or just moved into the boot like other cars.

2. Assuming both the old and new ecosport are under 4M for tax benefits, does removal of spare wheel liberate more space in the car ?

I am trying to figure out why Ford did this. Hope it’s not from dumb market survey :(
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 10:46   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
A few questions :

1. Is the spare really eliminated or just moved into the boot like other cars.

2. Assuming both the old and new ecosport are under 4M for tax benefits, does removal of spare wheel liberate more space in the car ?
1. EcoSport has no wheel well in the boot like in other cars where you can stow the spare away, so the spare wheel is completely deleted in the SE trim, it will come with a tyre puncture kit and TPMS only.

2. Won't call it old and new, both are the same cars only the spare wheel has been removed in this new SE trim. No change in interior space, it will remain the same. EcoSport's length with spare wheel is 3998mm (spare wheel is not included in the length), SE trim also has the same length at 3998mm.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 11:20   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
I am trying to figure out why Ford did this. Hope it’s not from dumb market survey :(
It's amusing that you mention it. When Ford removed the sync 3 system (or rather eliminated the Android Auto and Apple Carplay) from all but the top variant they offered up the same excuse, that a market survey indicated that customers don't really need it.

I have since seen multiple Team BHP guys who generally tend to favour driving dynamics actually dropping the EcoSport from their consideration in part due to this.

The only reason to not bash Ford for this stupidity is simply because they are at least providing employment to some youngsters.
JithinR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 11:53   #142
BHPian

Ford should fire their market research team. I know 3 people with 5 EcoSports between them over the last 10 years. NO ONE likes this new design without a spare wheel (not a great sample size, I know, but still).

The difference between Hyundai and Ford is that Hyundai would've kept the wheel and added TPMS on half the variant 3 years ago.

EDIT: If Ford is taking new campaign suggestion then how about EcoSport Ki SE Ki Taisi

Last edited by vellatechie : 6th March 2021 at 11:55. Reason: Campaign Suggestion
vellatechie is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 12:18   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
1. EcoSport has no wheel well in the boot like in other cars where you can stow the spare away, so the spare wheel is completely deleted in the SE trim, it will come with a tyre puncture kit and TPMS only.

2. Won't call it old and new, both are the same cars only the spare wheel has been removed in this new SE trim. No change in interior space, it will remain the same. EcoSport's length with spare wheel is 3998mm (spare wheel is not included in the length), SE trim also has the same length at 3998mm.
Then it makes even less sense to do this.

1. What happens if side wall gets damaged rather than a puncture. It’s rare but when it happens the only alternative will be to call RSA and hope that they have a spare tyre. Other than pray that this should not happen, a customer has no other option. God forbid If something untoward happens when some one is stuck , Ford is looking at a massive PR disaster and lack of spare may become a deal breaker.

2. If this is the case then I fail to understand what Ford is trying to accomplish. With the spare wheel Ford managed to make the vehicle look bigger than it actually is. By removing it, it is now the exact same length as other CSUVs and not so great interior space packaging. Are they trying to save the Rs 15K by eliminating a wheel ?
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 12:19   #144
BHPian

Why on earth would anyone risk driving without a stepny? You don't need it until you need it, it's like an airbag.
Old 6th March 2021, 14:42   #145
BHPian

I cannot buy a car if it doesn't come with a safety measure as simple as a spare tyre. I cannot fathom being stuck on a highway with a flat tyre at night. I wonder how much money did the bean counters at Ford saved by this move. But on the looks department, It looks fine without the tailgate mounted tyre. Almost like the old gen Creta. But no spare tyre? No thank you.
DriverNo.420 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 15:07   #146
Senior - BHPian

The only thing that makes the ES so very distinct is the rear mounted tyre. I really loved this design. Now, it just loses itself amid a sea of vehicles. Someone at Ford deserves to be fired for this 'misadventure'.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 15:55   #147
BHPian

I think we're going around in circles here. What I gauged from this discussion and from other sources is that consumers will have a choice between the standard and SE versions.

It is obvious that the SE version will be cheaper but will come with puncture repair kit and TPMS.

Basically, those who do a lot of out station runs would most likely plonk for the standard model while those going for the SE model will be the almost 100% within city driver/owners.

It would be interesting to see what is the price difference and how this pans out. If this results in incremental Ecosport sales, I wouldn't be surprised if the others follow suit i.e. do away with the spare

Last edited by Floyd de Souza : 6th March 2021 at 15:57.
Old 6th March 2021, 16:47   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza View Post
I think we're going around in circles here. What I gauged from this discussion and from other sources is that consumers will have a choice between the standard and SE versions.

It is obvious that the SE version will be cheaper but will come with puncture repair kit and TPMS.

Basically, those who do a lot of out station runs would most likely plonk for the standard model while those going for the SE model will be the almost 100% within city driver/owners.

It would be interesting to see what is the price difference and how this pans out. If this results in incremental Ecosport sales, I wouldn't be surprised if the others follow suit i.e. do away with the spare
I think Ford India simply does not have fresh product ideas nor do they have any optimism in the India domestic market in the near future. To have a CSUV car without a spare tyre is ridiculous. No one will be willing to waste time on the road fixing a puncture. They would change the tyre and then fix the bad one later. What does Ford think they have on offer? A three-point star with RunFlats?
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 21:05   #149
BHPian

Here's a detailed video of the Ecosport SE.
No spare tyre but a tyre inflator and pressure monitoring device is provided. Good to see SYNC 3 on this variant. I still think the headlights are the same HID units of the S variant.

Last edited by TaurusSHO : 7th March 2021 at 21:09.
TaurusSHO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 15:18   #150
Senior - BHPian

Ford Ecosport SE variant launch on March 10

Ford EcoSport SE variant dealer dispatches begin; no tailgate-mounted spare-smartselect_20210308151727_twitter.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks