Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Ford EcoSport with or without the Tailgate mounted Spare wheel. Which one looks better ?
The tailgate mounted Spare wheel looks good. Should have retained it ! 540 77.47%
The new clean look of the tailgate devoid of the spare looks better. 92 13.20%
Both are ok. Frankly I cant see the difference ! 65 9.33%
Voters: 697. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2021, 11:16   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport SE variant dealer dispatches begin; no tailgate-mounted spare

New Ford EcoSport SE launched, starting at
Rs. 10.49 Lakh (Petrol)
Rs. 10.99 Lakh (Diesel)
Bookings open today.

Ford EcoSport SE variant dealer dispatches begin; no tailgate-mounted spare-smartselect_20210310111454_twitter.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 10th March 2021 at 11:18.
Venkatesh is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 11:37   #152
BHPian

For another 50k, we can get top spec. That spare wheel itself would cost 20k easily.

I see below statement from autocar website:
Compared to the top-spec EcoSport S, the new SE trim misses out on side and curtain airbags, ESC, traction control, hill-start assist, cruise control, an auto dimming inside rear-view mirror, auto HID headlights, auto wipers, a rear seat arm rest, leatherette seat covers and 60:40 split-folding rear seats. However, the EcoSport SE does costs Rs 50,000 less than the range-topping S variant.

If this is true, then SE variant is totally worthless.

But from other videos i could see SE will get "ESC, traction control, hill-start assist, cruise control, rear seat arm rest, 60:40 split-folding rear seats"

Still S variant is much VFM than this SE variant.
ramki.grandhi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 11:59   #153
BHPian

SE variant is nothing but S minus blacked out bits, spare wheel, leatherette seats, ISOFIX, cargo management system.

Ford Microsite for SE variant - https://ecosport.fordind.com/se/fourteen/

Check this URL for complete feature list of SE vs S variant by FORD.

Last edited by varunswnt : 10th March 2021 at 12:28.
varunswnt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 12:07   #154
BHPian

Adds TPMS, puncture repair kit, Sync 3. It also has some cosmetic changes like blacked out headlamps, different interior theme which most likely doesn't affect the cost too much.

Titanium variant offers EBA, ESC, TCS, HLA and a spare wheel at 9.79L albeit without Sync 3.

Edit: As per the link above by varunswnt and Ford website, the features are more or less same as S variant, which makes this variant at 10.49L fairly priced. Whether we can live without the spare wheel or not is a different story.

Last edited by GTO : 11th March 2021 at 06:45. Reason: No foreign formatting please
chautob0t is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 12:15   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
For another 50k, we can get top spec. That spare wheel itself would cost 20k easily.

I see below statement from autocar website:
Compared to the top-spec EcoSport S, the new SE trim misses out on side and curtain airbags, ESC, traction control, hill-start assist, cruise control, an auto dimming inside rear-view mirror, auto HID headlights, auto wipers, a rear seat arm rest, leatherette seat covers and 60:40 split-folding rear seats. However, the EcoSport SE does costs Rs 50,000 less than the range-topping S variant.
If Autocar has published this then they got it wrong. SE seems to have everything they have quoted as missing except perhaps the leatherette seat covers.

The only must have feature (for some people) that I see missing is ISOFIX that Ecosport seems to have reserved only for the top end variant for some time now.

For Rs. 50,000, it doesn't seem all that bad. Ford seems to have passed on more than the cost benefit of the spare wheel to the end customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chautob0t View Post
This variant misses out on auto HID headlamps, extra airbags, EBA, ESC, TCS, HLA and spare wheel etc.
The updated brochure is available on the ford website. Please check it for yourself.

Last edited by JithinR : 10th March 2021 at 12:16.
JithinR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 12:30   #156
Kln
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
New Ford EcoSport SE launched, starting at
Rs. 10.49 Lakh (Petrol)
Rs. 10.99 Lakh (Diesel)
Bookings open today.

Attachment 2130784

Link
Sorry to say but the iconic EcoSport looks like a Renault Triber on steroids in this pic. Look how they've massacred my boy.
Kln is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 13:00   #157
BHPian

Review:

Not sure if its available in petrol automatic?
Weathered is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 13:03   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
Not sure if its available in petrol automatic?
No. It is not. Titanium+ Petrol AT is the only automatic available.
skarthiksr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 14:18   #159
BANNED

Could they not package the spare tyre under the rear bumper or something.
Old 10th March 2021, 14:42   #160
BHPian

One of my close relatives who owns an Ecosport recently had a sidewall tear while giving space to another vehicle on a narrow street. Keeping that experience in mind, I don’t think I will consider a car or variant which doesn’t have a provision for a spare. Considering the condition of our roads not having a spare tyre is a bad idea. I sincerely hope this variant flops. Otherwise if this trend catches up, soon we will be paying extra and buying spare tyres like Apple’s chargers.
Ps. Shouldn’t we change the thread title? “No tailgate mounted spare” somehow gives the impression that the spare is there somewhere else. I feel “gets no spare” is more appropriate.
Night Raven is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 01:28   #161
BHPian

Rumour: I went for a test drive of the Ford Ecosport today for a cousin and the SA said Ford is bringing the Territory to India within the next few months. The model sold in SE Asia is actually quite a capable model and would slot into the Harrier range at ~4.6M long. It retails at ~18L starting in Philippines. This would surely be an incredibly capable car if the international model makes it here. Wonder if Ford will bring it via the CBU route to test out the waters!

https://www.ford.com.ph/suvs/territory/#

Some observations from the Ecosport.

1. Build is as solid as ever. Unlike the VW stable cars where one can perceive a difference if you've owned a VW in the past, the Ford felt very well put together. Doors were HEAVY. And closed like a tank. Is it because Ford also makes the export model in India and we get the same build?

2. Materials inside are strictly average. Ford seems to have reduced the quality over time. Steering leather felt squeaky and cheap to hold. Seats were just about ok. Fusebox lid plastic was already bent (in the display unit, not even the test drive one). But was still not Maruti cheap.

3. Space was my biggest concern. Rear seat is a far cry from my Vento. Front also felt cramped.

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2021 at 07:07. Reason: typo
Annibaddh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 07:28   #162
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You know what I want for whoever in Ford's management decided this? I want him / her / the team on a drive from Mumbai to Goa or Bangalore to Goa or Delhi to Mumbai. 50% into the journey in a rural area, their tyre should get damaged (say, by missing a large pothole at speed). Or even a minor sidewall tear by going off the road to give way to someone else.

I'd then like to see what the Ford management does with their lame puncture repair kit. Forget Mumbai to Goa, let's see them end up with a damaged tyre in Lonavla (just 1.5 hours out of Bombay) or the middle of the night in Delhi, and how many hours it takes to get going again.

Now, if they come back and tell the world they can place a spare tyre in the boot, I'd like to know how the hell will they fit holiday luggage for 4? Boot space will be severely compromised.

This is the lamest variant I've seen in the longest time. As BHPians mentioned, it's pricing doesn't make sense either (relative to the other EcoSport variants). And it looks terrible without that spare at the back. Updated variants are usually a step forward; this is regressive at so many levels.

Last edited by GTO : 11th March 2021 at 07:53.
GTO is offline   (63) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 11:39   #163
Senior - BHPian

Ford has a serious acute shortage of talents in house! Dude how many shake ups they would want to do with their variant line up particularly with Ecosport?! They’re far behind in the race already. Such an irony, they were the ones who ignited this C-SUV back in 2013 and they haven’t moved further ahead much whilst the competition is leaps and bounds ahead of them.

What will they remove / add next? May be will re-introduce spare tyre after few months / a year and add another SE+ variant to the line up? I will not be surprised if Ford goes down in the same line as their American counterpart Chevy did.
Old 11th March 2021, 12:23   #164
BHPian

In reality & practical daily use -

1) the rear door mounted spare wheel housing starts rattling over time

2) the rear door is heavy to open and close

3) in case of changing tyre - removing spare wheel and mounting it back is cumbersome

4) Plus if the spare tyre is not covered, it is exposed to 40+ heat (in most parts of India), rain and hence ages faster.
jessie007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 12:41   #165
BHPian

I love the clean look but they need to do two more things - add a spare tyre in the boot by giving a proper wheel well not eating into luggage space and make the hatch open upwards which is how it should have been in the first place.
pkk077 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks