Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Ford EcoSport with or without the Tailgate mounted Spare wheel. Which one looks better ?
The tailgate mounted Spare wheel looks good. Should have retained it ! 540 77.47%
The new clean look of the tailgate devoid of the spare looks better. 92 13.20%
Both are ok. Frankly I cant see the difference ! 65 9.33%
Voters: 697. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2021, 21:42   #181
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport SE variant dealer dispatches begin; no tailgate-mounted spare

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
I was comparing rear mounted spare with spare kept inside vehicle. Ford not offering a spare alltogether is another point.

But in last 10 years of driving my Punto (98% within city), I didn't have to change tyre myself. Must have had only four or five punctures - both tyres and roads are better now - atleast in Delhi.

Tubeless tyres don't deflate instantly, and give time to reach puncture repair shop. Evenin case at an odd hour, one can use a puncture repair kit to repair.

But yes, a spare is necessary - specially for out station trips. I also wouldn't go without one.
Yes, as you mentioned also, I am worried about the outstation trips. And even though the punctures could be mitigated by the repair kit, the sidewall tear in the tyre in case of any unwanted event would be a terrible thing in this scenario. And though I admit the chance of the same is low, but it is like the airbags ; chances of being used is very low, but once needed, it becomes really very crucial!

Last edited by H0RSEPOWER : 11th March 2021 at 21:43.
Old 11th March 2021, 22:04   #182
BHPian

Saw a detailed review of the new EcoSport variant on YouTube, might help prospective buyers. Not sure if India is ready for a SUV without a spare tyre.

Old 11th March 2021, 22:06   #183
BHPian

Instead of Ford spending so much effort in providing the customer so much value by removing the spare, they could have introduced the Petrol AT in the lowest and highest variant and made the Sync3 a standard offering.
octane_100 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 23:01   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
I'm aware of the SE coming with Sync but I primarily meant the Titanium and Titanium + (which doesn't exist anymore though). It must be the most sought after model and hence mentioned it.
Well Ford did already mention that SE replaced Titanium+ in their lineup. They seem to have retained the Titanium+ variant just for the AT.

Yes, it would be great if we could get the Sync3 system on their Titanium variant but if it's Android auto/Apple carplay one wants then that is something that can be fixed easily (more than enough videos on Youtube that show how to do this).

On the other hand, I really appreciate that Ford was able to provide all the electronic safety aids and a sunroof in the Titanium variant without increasing its price.
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 00:16   #185
BHPian

The SE “Sorry Edition” reminds me of my friend who removed washroom from his room saying that it’s not necessary and he can always use the washroom in another room when nature calls. Well by doing the same what he gained was a little space, the charm of which vanished in 6 months and he eventually moved to the other room.

However in the example cited above, their was a benefit of getting extra room to keep his recliner and a table whereas in the case of Ecosport, I fail to see any such advantage. The washroom is removed and their is no other washroom elsewhere but a potty chair in the room ( Read tpms and inflator) 😁.

I would really like to meet and interview anyone who buys this variant over the regular ecosport to know what he smoke prior to taking such a call.

All those things like the mounted spare rattles, adds weight are such childish replies that no sane mind could fathom. This is India, where tyre punctures are as regular as power cuts in summer, you don’t ever want them but you know it is bound to happen, thus it is always wise to have an inverter handy.
NST440 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 07:44   #186
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Raven View Post
I sincerely hope this variant flops. Otherwise if this trend catches up, soon we will be paying extra and buying spare tyres like Apple’s chargers.
Ps. Shouldn’t we change the thread title? “No tailgate mounted spare” somehow gives the impression that the spare is there somewhere else. I feel “gets no spare” is more appropriate.
I am completely with you on this one. I am terrified of cars across the board now coming up with ridiculous variants without spare wheels. Unlike many other big German cars (although I am not a fan of them not providing spare wheels either) at least the boots are big enough to shove in a spare wheel in a pinch. Here the boot is too tiny for someone to even put a spare wheel on his own accord.

Also agree with your thread title suggestion. Even I thought the spare had moved elsewhere. It was only after reading multiple posts that I realised they were actually removing the spare wheel altogether. To my mind that should be the most impactful relevant messaging of the thread title - something like “Spare wheel removed altogether”. Its then self-explanatory that it no longer appears on the tailgate.

On the least relevant note, I do feel the tailgate mounted spare gave it a slightly distinctive look, which is now gone.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 12:24   #187
BHPian

To me, the name Ecosport is synonymous with a rear mounted spare tyre. My younger daughter calls the Ecosport a "Tyre Creta" as she is unable to differentiate the Creta and the Ecosport because of the SUV'ish body.

This to me is a serious damage to the brand Ecosport.
Mechanto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 12:35   #188
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Ford's pushing things a bit too far. What a silly ad for an even sillier variant. It's not a feature - it's a bug! When did removing something critical become cool?

GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 13:52   #189
BHPian

Having a spare wheel in indian driving conditions is necessary. But that aside, i personally like the cleaner, more mature look without the spare wheel.

The world has moved on beyond the rear mounted spare wheel = SUV philosophy.

On the topic of spare wheel, it would be interesting to know answers to the following questions:

1) How many punctures has one had in the past 5 years?

2) How many times did you change the tyre yourself?

3) How many times was a tyre change necessary i.e. sidewall tear, tyre burst?

Just to get some data - that Ford must have also gathered- i 'm assuming.

Last edited by jessie007 : 12th March 2021 at 14:06. Reason: spares - changed to spare wheel
jessie007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 19:04   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Ford's pushing things a bit too far. What a silly ad for an even sillier variant
The cringiest ad till date far and wide! Ford is clearly taking the Indian market for granted, IMHO they are themselves trying to reduce whatever sales they managed rather than increase it! Ford should win the ‘Lamest Variant of the Year’ award dil SE.
Old 12th March 2021, 19:14   #191
Kln
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Ford's pushing things a bit too far. What a silly ad for an even sillier variant. It's not a feature - it's a bug! When did removing something critical become cool?

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=3D2Rmo0udyQ
If anything, this ad shows just how beautiful the OG Ecosport is. Hitting themselves in the foot.
Old 15th March 2021, 13:21   #192
BHPian

I am in market for a compact SUV and went to Ford Showroom for a test Drive of Ecosport diesel. Even the Showroom staff was least interested in selling the SE model and most customers were being directed to S version. Not sure which customer / Dealer feedback was taken by Ford to get this thing in production.
Old 27th April 2021, 22:27   #193
BHPian

3 weeks ago, I had a flat tyre due to a bend in the rim. Don’t know how the puncture repair kit is going to come handy in such a scenario instead of a spare wheel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks