Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Ford EcoSport with or without the Tailgate mounted Spare wheel. Which one looks better ?
The tailgate mounted Spare wheel looks good. Should have retained it ! 540 77.47%
The new clean look of the tailgate devoid of the spare looks better. 92 13.20%
Both are ok. Frankly I cant see the difference ! 65 9.33%
Voters: 697. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2021, 08:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ford EcoSport SE variant dealer dispatches begin; no tailgate-mounted spare

2021 Ford Ecosport SE variant dealer dispatches begins

Ford EcoSport SE variant dealer dispatches begin; no tailgate-mounted spare-fb_img_16138762821392641.jpg

Ford EcoSport SE variant dealer dispatches begin; no tailgate-mounted spare-fb_img_16138762784154242.jpg

Ford EcoSport SE variant dealer dispatches begin; no tailgate-mounted spare-fb_img_16138762748091539.jpg

Source : Rushlane
Venkatesh is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 21:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Ford EcoSport Titanium variant now gets a sunroof (Updated price list)

Losing the tailgate mounted spare wheel has its merit and demerits. It would take some time to get used to this new look for sure. Cant say which is better looking, the old or the new ? I am of the understanding that there is no spare wheel elsewhere, which is a bad move in my books.

Also is this for just a particular variant or for all the variants ?

Last edited by TrackDay : 21st February 2021 at 21:48.
TrackDay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 21:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

So we can 'add' another feature deletion in Ford's cap. One day I won't be surprised to see the entire car deleted from their line up and Ford gone from India. I hope they re-group and give us the next gen of the Ecosport soon.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 22:00   #4
BHPian

People were questioning if Ford would continue its operations in India and to clear all the doubts Ford's move is to remove the spare wheel from the EcoSport, hell yeah! ( No offence meant)

The reaction of current EcoSport owners (myself included) and admirers can be summed up as:
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport SE variant dealer dispatches begin; no tailgate-mounted spare-img_20210221_215509.jpg  

Lowflyer23 is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 22:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Losing the tailgate mounted spare wheel has its merit and demerits. It would take some time to get used to this new look for sure. Cant say which is better looking, the old or the new ? I am of the understanding that there is no spare wheel elsewhere, which is a bad move in my books.

Also is this for just a particular variant or for all the variants ?
This is only for SE variant. Many articles have mentioned that the spare tyre can be omitted under specific rules like less than 9 people capacity, less than 3.5 tonne weight and a TPMS present in the car, otherwise the spare wheel is mandatory by law.

Attaching this link to the article which mentions this rule.

Last edited by chautob0t : 21st February 2021 at 22:02.
chautob0t is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 22:19   #6
BHPian

I'm actually interested in seeing if this variant is being offered with an AT or MT transmission. I think that in today's market, offering an automatic only in the top variant is a big no no. Something for Ford India to look into. When the competition is strong, this type of rejigging also does not help their case. I can only think of existing stock as a reason of introducing this variant.
Shiftlock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 22:21   #7
BHPian

Is it that the Ford team in India just wants to be seen "trying to do things"? Frankly, I can't understand what is the thought process behind this odd-ball variant. For those people for whom the Eco Sport is going to be their only car, would they be comfortable driving around with a puncture repair kit? With so many flip-flops, U-Turns and bizarre variant and pricing strategies, Ford India may be better suited to be a Political Party than a Car Company!!
octane_100 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 22:26   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like Ford poached some talent from Apple! And now s/he is just trying to make Ford also environmentally friendly.

Most people upgrading have a spare in their existing car that they can bring over and continue to use, why bother with giving them a new one!
Dry Ice is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 23:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ford EcoSport with or without the Tailgate mounted Spare wheel. Which looks better ?

Hello BHP'ians. I just came across this article where the Ford EcoSport is going to be available also without the spare wheel mounted on it's tailgate. I am not going into the whole debate of whether SUV's should have that or not. It has already been discussed on this link :
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...are-wheel.html (Real SUV's show off their spare wheel)

They you might ask why I am discussing about the EcoSport. Take it like this. Suppose you see a familiar male face who had a moustache for the last 10 years. One day he decides to get rid of his big moustache and come clean shaven. There will definitely be an element of surprise. Also the debate of whether the moustache or the clean look suits better . Fact could be both are good. Here in this case we have been seeing the EcoSport for the last 8 years or so with its tailgate mounted Spare wheel. Now with that gone what do you guys think ? The EcoSport has been a very popular product and hence this query. Kindly vote on the Poll and let me know of your opinions.
Ford EcoSport SE variant dealer dispatches begin; no tailgate-mounted spare-ecosport-new-n-old.png

Last edited by TrackDay : 22nd February 2021 at 00:10.
TrackDay is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 00:07   #10
BHPian

re: Ford EcoSport SE variant dealer dispatches begin; no tailgate-mounted spare

In my opinion the one without the spare wheel at the back looks hedious. I mean it steals away the character. I own one and I am happy that the spare wheel is where it belongs, on the tail gate. Not sure, but to me without the tail gate mounted wheel, it looks like a S Cross wierdly.
But again, it could grow on your eyes, like the European model. But I would anyway prefer a tail mounted spare.
justwheels is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 00:09   #11
BHPian

I've a slightly different POV here. I've been using cars from last decade, so far I've not encountered puncture issue outside city. I had 3 punctures in one week and puncture guy made me realize that i need to change tyres though those still has lot of thread life. Reason being, rubber gets oxidized and it becomes brittle, which can lead to punctures or tyre bursts. I've not heard a single instance from family, friends about facing puncture problem in last decade. i.e. changing tyre in mid of trip. Not sure how many of us can change tyre without any help. I know, spare wheel is like insurance where best case is never get into a scenario that demands usage.

May be ford is targeting city users who don't need spare wheel. I'm not saying spare wheel is useless, its nice to see a full size spare wheel in this segment even in lower variants. May be we get clear idea about their strategy once we hear from Ford before we jump all the guns? Or may be they are trying to fill some segment gap?

Yes, we can totally relate this to removing headphone jack or home button from iPhone.

Last edited by ramki.grandhi : 22nd February 2021 at 00:11.
ramki.grandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 02:24   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Ford EcoSport SE variant dealer dispatches begin; no tailgate-mounted spare

For a decade, am used to see my buddy keeping moustache, but one fine day if he shaves it & comes in front of me, I will feel he is looking odd!

Last edited by Samba : 22nd February 2021 at 02:34.
Samba is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 06:13   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford EcoSport SE variant dealer dispatches begin; no tailgate-mounted spare

Thanks for sharing, Venkatesh! Moving your post & replies to a new thread.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 08:11   #14
KPR
BANNED

So finally the school bag behind is taken out from its back. The lad is in covid times so need not lift the bag to school.
KPR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 09:15   #15
BHPian

Looks similar to the Ford Edge, looks can be polarising.

I prefer a clean back, just the name, and number plate moved down to the bumper.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks