Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Ford EcoSport with or without the Tailgate mounted Spare wheel. Which one looks better ?
The tailgate mounted Spare wheel looks good. Should have retained it ! 540 77.47%
The new clean look of the tailgate devoid of the spare looks better. 92 13.20%
Both are ok. Frankly I cant see the difference ! 65 9.33%
Voters: 697. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2021, 09:29   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport SE variant dealer dispatches begin; no tailgate-mounted spare

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post

A lot depends on driver capabilities, vehicle limits and sheer luck. Doesn't always go right. Have also seen videos of EcoSports and other pseudo SUVs floating around.

There's a reason why the EcoSport brochure tells you to stay under 200mm. Insurance claims will be very tricky if something goes wrong.
You said it yourself discoverwild, one should know the vehicle’s capability. The Ecosport Brochure clearly mentions and advertises the 550mm water wading capability. May be the user manual says it more for generic vehicles since most of the time the printing material remains the same with only the name of the vehicle changed.

I don’t claim that Ecosport is an SUV but it has done the job for me and it’s still doing that after running for more than a lakh kilometres. And yes, I applaud your driving capabilities for sure
ABHI_1512 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 09:45   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
3) For heaven's sake, Ecosport was never an SUV, it is basically a bigger Hatch with a tail mounted wheel, no bragging rights whatsoever.
Might not have occurred to you, but there are plenty of consumers who do not buy the Ecosport (or for that matter, any other C-SUV) for "SUV bragging rights" (whatever your idea of that might be). The Ecosport and all other C-SUVs are made for a particular purpose, that of tackling the urban jungle and being capable of handling bad/terrible roads and huge craters, inundated in rain or otherwise. The Ecosport certainly serves that purpose superbly, and is also fun to drive at the same time - certainly has been for me and many thousands of others who are users and purchasers of the car. Bragging right is the least of my concerns, what is solely important is the utility and value of the vehicle for my specific uses.

Quote:

All the CSUVs including the Nexon, Sonet, Seltos, Venue, Brezza, XUV300 and the EcoSport are nothing but hatches on stilts. They have severe limitations when it comes to real world SUV scenarios.
What real world SUV scenarios? You mean instances where four wheel drive / proper off road situations arise? Agreed.

But very few (if any) C-SUV users buy them to take them offroading in any manner. Their demographic and purpose is entirely different from that of a proper full size SUV with all wheel drive, for instance. They are good at serving their focused purpose and therefore are popular in a country like India, where urban commutes throw up bad roads and craters and speed-breakers literally on a minute by minute basis.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 24th February 2021 at 09:46.
arindambasu13 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 11:55   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

No Spare wheel for the new variant of Ecosport- Confirmation from the pic below.

Ford EcoSport SE variant dealer dispatches begin; no tailgate-mounted spare-fordecosportsesparewheelrearview4c47_wm-1.jpg

Quote:
These images show the EcoSport SE’s underbody, which puts a full stop to the rumours that Ford will be offering an underbody-mounted spare wheel. A tyre pressure monitoring system along with a puncture repair kit is what Ford will be offering on the EcoSport SE
Link
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 12:12   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
No Spare wheel for the new variant of Ecosport- Confirmation from the pic below.

Attachment 2125273
Sync 3 system can also be confirmed from this picture!
Old 24th February 2021, 12:18   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
I didn't want to mention this before but it was always going to be the case

The Ecosport has no spare wheel well below the boot. For a 7 year old product, no company with half a mind will even look at redesigning the body shell for one variant to accommodate a spare wheel under the boot whether from inside or from out.

The reason the spare wheel was moved to the tailgate was because it was not possible to fit that size tyre back in 2012 inside the boot and be within 4m. Ford took the easy option and ended up making it a cool USP as well.

After that packaging improved and other brands figured it out.

Rest assured this car will be without a spare unless you want to keep it inside the boot standing up which would mean next to nil luggage capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerknair View Post
Yes it is the aesthetics without tailgate mounted spare that makes it desirable for some. I know those will be a minority in India. But in some markets EcoSport is sold without that tailgate mounted spare. I do expect Ford to keep a spare somewhere inside/under the car though. Without a spare at all, the car is a strict "No" for me.
I hope the above pic answers your query on spare wheel.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 12:54   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Might not have occurred to you, but there are plenty of consumers who do not buy the Ecosport (or for that matter, any other C-SUV) for "SUV bragging rights" (whatever your idea of that might be).
Please read the content in its entirety before passing judgement over what could have 'occurred' to me, dear friend.

The only thing spoken about was the claim of a 550mm water fording capability which I shared may not be true because the EcoSport manual claims only 200mm.

I drive a humble 9-yr old Vista, so bragging rights are the least of my worries. CSUVs make absolute sense in a country high on 'development' but low on quality and nature of it. Expecting them to fairly cross over almost 2 feet of water is only waiting for a disaster.

We have digressed from the topic and let's back to it.

Regarding the absence of the spare wheel, I guess manufacturers will slowly stop providing a spare in all cars now, graduating from offering a smaller sized one.
Old 24th February 2021, 13:07   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please read the content in its entirety before passing judgement over what could have 'occurred' to me, dear friend.
I am assuming you are aware that there is a reason behind why one member, in replying to another's post, quotes a specific portion of that post- it is to specifically reply to that post/portion of that post.

I have read your content in its complete entirety, and my reply on the "bragging rights" was not even directed at your post - it was in reply to another member's. In other words, dear friend, the part of my post that you have quoted (and replied to) was not even applicable/in reply to you or directed at your content. Consequently, I have no idea what "judgment" on your post you are so indignantly referring to

In fact, I made no comment on water wading capabilities (or lack thereof) of the ES or any other car. Trust that clarifies.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 24th February 2021 at 13:20.
arindambasu13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 13:11   #98
Senior - BHPian

Both the version don't look out of place and that's what matter to me in terms of design. W.r.to practicality, having a spare is peace of mind, hence would go with same. That said there are enough urban dwellers who didn't like hatch mounted spare, the SE variant is targeted at these folks.
I will not be surprised if this comes with Petrol only option.
Old 25th February 2021, 12:26   #99
BHPian

Is Ford inspired by Apple or Samsung? Just like these two phone manufacturers have started deleting essential things like headphone jack, charger,
headphones etc, Ford has gone a step ahead and deleted a spare wheel. Hopefully other manufacturers don't follow this procedure.

In my opinion,the rear looks like Mahindra XUV300.

Last edited by Neelanjan : 25th February 2021 at 12:28. Reason: Missed full stop.
Neelanjan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 14:33   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
3) For heaven's sake, Ecosport was never an SUV, it is basically a bigger Hatch with a tail mounted wheel, no bragging rights whatsoever.

Buy an SUV if you feel it's an SUV once seated inside, 99% of the Indian junta buys the psuedo SUV so that people around them feel that they own an SUV.
No offense, but this entire statement is judgemental.

I own an Ecosport, and 100% concur with your views that it’s no SUV - not by a long shot. I had driven an i10 for over 6 years before the Ecosport. The build quality and driving dynamics of the Ecosport was a revelation when I test drove one - that’s why I bought it. Not because I wanted bragging rights or an SUV feel and definitely not because I cared two hoots about what the guy next door or next car felt.

Even today, I am hard pressed to find an alternative that offers the same build quality, fun to drive and reliability factors in the same price range.
Pequod is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 15:35   #101
BHPian

Without its wheel at the back it appears like Triber for me. Its very evident that something is missing, they could have attempted to at least re-shape the rear. Doesn't give that dominating appearance IMHO without the wheel.
Old 26th February 2021, 17:00   #102
BHPian

Ford should understand that If they cannot bring upmarket products atleast donot mess up with the existing ones (atleast their bread and butter model-Ecosport). The Ecosport is the only car in the segment having Rear wheel mounted which give it a unique identity (still a stunner with a wheel mounted on the Tailgate) and was there across all the variants.
This variant (without wheel) is surely going to have identity crisis and will hardly have any buyer.
Apex1815 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 09:54   #103
BHPian

Dear t-bhp members, and fellow ecosport owners. I've recently booked ecosport titanium diesel and waiting for delivery, tentative date is: April 1st week. I don't know if my decision is right or wrong, but I've not heard anything negative about car so far, so I feel it's the right decision. I'm very impressed with both test drives. It's much better than BS4 ecosport and definitely well built than any other car in that price range(or even above?), except nexon and xuv300(didn't even try a TD, as boot space is deal breaker). But I feel Nexon is pretty expensive for the variant, thanks to worthless road taxes. I will wait for Kushaq's pricing and take a call to continue with Ecosport or cancel it and book Kushaq. I've a strong feeling that Skoda will mess up Kushaq's pricing and I'm betting on Ecosport, its a lovely machine.

I've couple of questions:
1) How are the seat covers from Ford, i don't like patterns but I don't want to spend time outside searching for perfect ones because of Covid. We are taking extreme measures to avoid any possible contact, 3 sales people are the only people I've met outside my family in the last 12 months.
2) I never liked diesel cars because of refinement, but this BS6 is the best I've experienced wrt NVH. Much better than some petrol cars. My running is low, and sometimes I've to leave the car untouched for a couple of weeks. Does this engine create any issue in such cases?
3) I think I can live with a hard clutch, but is there any solution in the long run? I'm fine even if the solution is expensive, but it has to be reliable.
4) Do i have to get paint protection and anti rust coatings? I've been using Fabia for the last decade or so, it still looks pretty good without any of these. I always park in the shade and treat cars very well.

Last edited by ramki.grandhi : 27th February 2021 at 09:57.
Old 27th February 2021, 22:16   #104
BHPian

Walk around video, not photos.
It's in Hindi.

This will be a best value for money variant, if they can offer spare wheel as an accessory and car price is <10L. Though its quite ambitious to expect this from any company.

Last edited by ramki.grandhi : 27th February 2021 at 22:27.
ramki.grandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 22:55   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
Walk around video, not photos.
It's in Hindi.

This will be a best value for money variant, if they can offer spare wheel as an accessory and car price is <10L. Though its quite ambitious to expect this from any company.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=M6E-E7cgRuI
I feel like this will replace the Titanium + MT Variant and will be priced close to what the old Titanium+ MT / Titanium special editions were priced at.
Shiftlock is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks