Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Ford EcoSport with or without the Tailgate mounted Spare wheel. Which one looks better ?
The tailgate mounted Spare wheel looks good. Should have retained it ! 540 77.47%
The new clean look of the tailgate devoid of the spare looks better. 92 13.20%
Both are ok. Frankly I cant see the difference ! 65 9.33%
Voters: 697. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2021, 15:51   #61
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport SE variant dealer dispatches begin; no tailgate-mounted spare

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Ecosport, SUV and off-road aspirations. It's absolutely hilarious to read the comments on this thread.

The Fiesta on stilts was never supposed to be taken seriously as an SUV or an offroader. But it seems the marketing team ended up making a good number of people believe the opposite.

The boot spoiler on a road-going sedan and the boot mounted spare wheel on crossovers like the ES are both for aesthetics. Take it easy people.
Come on myan! The whole point of mini SUV is big ego on small budgets, right?

Why else on earth would anyone buy an ugly duckling like a mini SUV? The Freestyle from the Ford actually has 5mm more ground clearance, but buyers still throng to buy the EcoSport as it is a mini SUV!!!

I do not think Indian buyers will take to this variant with no spare tyre too well.
amitayu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 16:07   #62
MSC
BHPian

With the spare tire gone, I only hope that this doesn't opens floodgates for other manufacturers.
Just like everyone ridiculed Apple for removing charging brick from Apple 12 onwards, but later one by one everyone started deletion of charging brick.
My only hope is noone copies this stupidty .
MSC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 16:47   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
I wonder, does the rear still open sideways, or is now an upward opening hatch?

And where on earth is the spare now ?
Hello,

From what I have read the tailgate will continue to open sideways which is something that I and family prefer given the ease of closing.

Going to miss the tail mounted spare wheel for it added to the appeal of Ecosport.

Source
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rus...-12394449.html
Old 22nd February 2021, 17:24   #64

I don't like the looks of the SE. I own. 2020 EcoSport Titanium S Petrol and frankly, the spare wheel in alloy adds much more character to the car. Makes it more muscular and stand out among the plethora of CSUVs out there. The spare alloy has its own uses. Personally I would pick another car if Ford removes the spare wheel. Fanboy forever.
FordGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 17:36   #65
BHPian

Silly me, silly me, silly silly me!!! Frankly, reading the link text on the homepage, I dreaded a loosely mounted spare-wheel detaching off from the hatch door while on the move!. Anyways, greatly relieved that it is not the case.

Voted for option 3, since all CSUVs look handsome/graceful/cute/butch depending on viewers' eyes [beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder] and hence I cant see the difference, rather don't want to see any difference as long as these CSUVs - Ecosport, Nexon, Brezza etc do well and serve their owners well.
Guru_GPS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 17:51   #66
BHPian

I saw the European variant during a visit to Amsterdam, it seemed a little odd without the spare wheel. Minus the wheel it looks like a stretched hatch back like the Jazz which is not a bad thing actually.
Old 22nd February 2021, 18:02   #67
BHPian

Another loss is the 5th alloy wheel itself in this variant. Ecosport was one of those rare cars that gave you a fifth alloy wheel in the higher variants. Meanwhile, most of it's competitors tucked away the ugly steel wheel under the boot floor.

This is something that even most reviewers missed pointing out when it was compared to its rivals.
JithinR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 18:17   #68
BHPian

The hate on "mini SUVs" and especially EcoSport is a bit much in this thread.

IMHO people didn't ask for these mini SUVs, the Indian government gave birth to this segment. And considering the horrible roads our country has (I've lived in Delhi/Mumbai/Bangalore long enough), it is not a bad thing at all.

This segment with its GC exists to make sure you don't scrape your car in the city potholes, craters and the mountainous speed breakers, 99% of these buyers aren't looking to take these cars off road. And, I'm sure even in "proper SUV" segment people don't take their cars off road as much as we might think.

While I agree that relying on a TPMS and a puncture repair kit on Indian roads is silly, very silly indeed and Ford bashing is justified, but making fun of people or their budgets is something I never expect from TBHP folks.
chautob0t is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 18:44   #69
BHPian

When I bought my Ecosport in 2017, I was very close to the next version launch but I took the plunge anyways. The European model had just been launched without the spare on the tail gate, and I was glad they did not do this to the Indian model. But 4 years later, it happens and I ask why?

I feel tail gate mounted spare adds a character to the vehicle and I honestly found the ecosport to be more SUVish than other pseudo ones in the market. But without the spare on the tail gate, it looks too lame. Hope this concept dies at inception only.

But again, looks are subjective and some might actually like it even. So to each his own, I am glad mine has the spare where I want it to be.
justwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 19:35   #70
BHPian

We never had the spare wheel on the tailgate in the US.
Old 22nd February 2021, 19:49   #71
BHPian

Don't worry guys both the ones with spare wheel and without spare wheel will be sold simultaneously. The SE variant(without spare wheel) is a way to clear unsold international inventory which is stuck in the Chennai plant. They'll sell this variant still stock clears and once that's done this variant will be axed.

I think Ford will bring out the new gen EcoSport by this year or next year. Till then, Ford will continue such feature revision games :P

My vote is for the spare wheel. Man, I use that wheel to sit and gaze the stars at night or keep it like a mini stand and obviously has saved me when I had a flat tyre and I could replace it with a spare

Last edited by jithin23 : 22nd February 2021 at 19:51.
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 20:00   #72
BHPian

What have they done? If the Ecosport was a living person he would feel the same way as Virus in this legendary scene. Please note the designer in the background too

Ford EcoSport SE variant dealer dispatches begin; no tailgate-mounted spare-virus1.png
Akash.D is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 21:33   #73
BHPian

Re: 2021 Ford EcoSport Titanium variant now gets a sunroof (Updated price list)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
So we can 'add' another feature deletion in Ford's cap. One day I won't be surprised to see the entire car deleted from their line up and Ford gone from India. I hope they re-group and give us the next gen of the Ecosport soon.
Still, it's better to remove the tailgate mounted spare and keep the car. The vise-versa would be a disaster.
Old 23rd February 2021, 07:45   #74

Looks might easily grow on me, but when I'm in Ladakh, the lack of a spare wheel won't "grow" on me. Though, I wouldn't mind driving Delhi-Mumbai if I had decent tubeless tyres and a pump.

So I guess that it'll actually be okay for those who live in large urban areas and drive on major national highways.
Old 23rd February 2021, 08:33   #75
BHPian

So now, will Ecosport as well would lose the full-size spare wheel in the next iteration? I just hate when Indians get short-changed by these manufacturers for buying their bloated-hatchbacks at exorbitant price.
arunramaswamy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks