Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2021, 18:04   #61
BHPian

Re: Scoop Pics! 4th-gen Skoda Octavia showcased in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmodromic View Post
Globally the 1.0tsi and 1.5tsi are the only petrol engine options with 2.0tsi reserved for the VRS . Given the absence of diesels from the portfolio, the 1.5tsi may put off some enthusiastic buyers...including me
If they do not launch atleast a 2.0L&K version, if not the VRS, it is going to be dead on arrival. No enthusiasts are going to buy it over the Superb, and, precious few people other than Enthusiasts are willing to shell out this kind of money on a sedan in this segment.
Old 23rd March 2021, 18:48   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmodromic View Post
Globally the 1.0tsi and 1.5tsi are the only petrol engine options with 2.0tsi reserved for the VRS . Given the absence of diesels from the portfolio, the 1.5tsi may put off some enthusiastic buyers...including me
Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
If they do not launch atleast a 2.0L&K version, if not the VRS, it is going to be dead on arrival.
The 2.0TSI is definitely launching in April. The 1.5TSI will come later.
Old 23rd March 2021, 19:05   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabhijit View Post
But the 'P' button is an interesting question.
The P button is for "park". The electronic parking brake switch is further to the rear near the bottle/cup holders.

Another example of a park button on an electronic shifter is from BMW
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop Pics! 4th-gen Skoda Octavia showcased in India-images-4.jpeg  

niteshbids is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 20:10   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
The 2.0TSI is definitely launching in April. The 1.5TSI will come later.
Do you know if this news is confirmed? I'm guessing the Style, L&K and Sportline equivalent will get the 2.0TSI, and the lower variants (Active/Ambition equivalent) will get the 1.5TSI with manual transmission.
Old 23rd March 2021, 21:49   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Fingers crossed for the 2L TSI + 7 speed wet clutch DSG + Multilink. Will be a brilliant option if the above comes true.
Here the 2L TSI is available in either RS model or with 4x4. I don't think Skoda will bring 4x4 option to India. It will be interesting if Skoda offers 2L TSI in non-RS, FWD version.
Old 23rd March 2021, 23:14   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Here the 2L TSI is available in either RS model or with 4x4. I don't think Skoda will bring 4x4 option to India. It will be interesting if Skoda offers 2L TSI in non-RS, FWD version.
Yup that's why fingers crossed. If you look at markets like your place and other countries where Octavia is sold, there is no 2L TSI front wheel drive non RS.

You either get 4x4 2L TSI or VRS245.

Hence I am skeptical on 2L TSI being tailor made for India that too for the small numbers. Octavia wont cross 200-250 per month here.

However given the fact that Octavia a premium product here, the 1.5L tSI on paper is a downgrade and selling a premium 25L sedan with a 1.5L tSI may do more harm than good for the image of the Octavia brand. So the 2L TSI is more befitting for Octavia here in India.

However with 1.5L TSI they can price it competitively and keep a safe distance from the Superb 2L TSI.

Then again the Superb is almost end of lifecycle and 2022 new one will come out internationally and will probably be in India by 2023. So the 2L TSI makes more sense on the Octavia since it can then straddle 2 segments till the new gen Superb comes out.

As you can see I have done a lot of thinking to justify the 2L TSI for India in behalf of Skoda India.
Vid6639 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 23:36   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then again the Superb is almost end of lifecycle and 2022 new one will come out internationally and will probably be in India by 2023. So the 2L TSI makes more sense on the Octavia since it can then straddle 2 segments till the new gen Superb comes out.

As you can see I have done a lot of thinking to justify the 2L TSI for India in behalf of Skoda India.
I like how you are thinking, but I think it is more likely that Skoda India will sell the Superb as long as they can and won't mind a gap of few months before bringing in the new one. The Superb is basically in a segment of one, and no competitor is going to rush in to capture sales.

But I agree the 2L TSI will be a welcome addition.
StarrySky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 02:00   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I like how you are thinking, but I think it is more likely that Skoda India will sell the Superb as long as they can and won't mind a gap of few months before bringing in the new one. The Superb is basically in a segment of one, and no competitor is going to rush in to capture sales.

But I agree the 2L TSI will be a welcome addition.
Yes the Superb will be pushed as much as possible till the new gen comes along. But being an old gen model and parked next to the new gen Octy in few months, it might struggle. Hence they might need to discount it heavily to sell. It already has 2-3 lakhs discounts if you just walk into the showroom for a TD.

So there are 2 options with the Octavia:

1. Use the 1.5L TSI engine which is the staple motor internationally. Undercut the Superb and keep both cars differentiated in price and performance.

2. Go all out and get the 2L TSI. This will increase the price and bring it very close to Superb prices. Being a newer gen car, there will be cross shopping and a few buyers who don't need the massive rear legroom, might prefer the more compact Octavia over the Superb. This will end up some what cannibalizing the current Superb till the next gen comes in 2023. They will have to live with Octavia 2L TSI taking a few sales out of the already low numbers of an older gen Superb.

Wild card: Get both engines and cater to performance guys with 2L TSI and practical buyers who will be chauffeur driven and also conscious of FE can buy the 1.5L TSI option.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 02:59   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabhijit View Post
Why would you want to do that? Just use the brake to stop and go. Why disturb the gear lever? If you want to take your foot off the brakes, use Auto Hold.
Well, if you want longevity of your transmission then avoid this practice. When the vehicle with auto transmission comes to stationary, the clutch is never fully disengaged. Therefore, it is always best to put it into neutral and press the brake fully if on an incline. Sometimes in stop and go traffic conditions, you may be required to stop the vehicle for more than just a few seconds. This is when it should be put into neutral for the sake of life of the transmission. This is especially true when it comes to DCT if it has a dry unit. Auto Hold should be used when the stop is no more than a few seconds e.g. driving up an incline from stationary. This is what is the purpose of Auto Hold. If transmission gets overheated and damaged, repair bills may run into lacs !
shaheenazk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 08:13   #70
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:

Wild card: Get both engines and cater to performance guys with 2L TSI and practical buyers who will be chauffeur driven and also conscious of FE can buy the 1.5L TSI option.
Hope they do this. Looking at the fuel efficiency, which is important for me, and anyway I dont drive too fast. However, I want a loaded car this time, and even if they offer both options, I fear that they will offer all the goodies only in the 2 litre.
nidhikapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 15:05   #71
BHPian

The all black Euro spec interior looks so classy and sporty. Not sure why we Indians have the obsession over beige and too much exterior chrome. Not liking Indian version dual tone color.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop Pics! 4th-gen Skoda Octavia showcased in India-20191112101704_skodaoctaviainterior.jpg  

Kashi053 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 15:45   #72
BHPian

I am hoping the "sea of beige" is only for the L&K version and the Sportline version has the all black theme. This looks to be the perfect upgrade for my Vento TSi that will complete 6 years next month. 2.0L TSi with 187 bhp + DQ381 seems to be a mouthwatering combination for what may be my last ICE car purchase. Also hope they offer the 1.5 TSi + DSG combo few months down the line which will keep prices sane and return better FE than the 2.0.
jogidada is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 15:53   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The launch of the fourth generation Skoda Octavia is just around the corner. In fact, the carmaker has kicked-off pre-launch activities with a private unveiling of the car.
Is the new vRS expected in India? It will definitely cost a fortune if launched.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th March 2021 at 17:52. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Please avoid quoting a large post as it inconveniences small screen users. Thanks!
Old 24th March 2021, 16:35   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogidada View Post
I am hoping the "sea of beige" is only for the L&K version and the Sportline version has the all black theme.
Unlikely. The Octavia never had a consistent Sportline variant in India except for the limited run Zeal all-black editions. VAG is perhaps rightly convinced that Indians like only beige .
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 19:27   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhikapoor View Post
Hope they do this. Looking at the fuel efficiency, which is important for me, and anyway I dont drive too fast. However, I want a loaded car this time, and even if they offer both options, I fear that they will offer all the goodies only in the 2 litre.

Definitely on the same boat here. Much as the 187 horses option is appealing, with the new persistent audio warning requirements for crossing 120kmph there’s absolutely no reason (for me) to buy an over-engineered motor that I can’t get the most out of.

I’m still torn about waiting for the 1.5TSI top trim (assuming it’s a few months down the line) vs getting another year out of my sturdy Jetta and see if the VAG group is able to launch a diesel train on the octavia next year. That would be the dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Unlikely. The Octavia never had a consistent Sportline variant in India except for the limited run Zeal all-black editions. VAG is perhaps rightly convinced that Indians like only beige .
There’s practical reasons to avoid black interiors in our insanely hot summer. They look cool, for sure, but heaven help those of us who sometimes have to park our cars outside in the heat. Never spent much time in an all black interior car but don’t they also make the cabin feel smaller?

Last edited by RoadTrippin : 24th March 2021 at 19:30. Reason: Adding multi-quote.
RoadTrippin is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks