Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2021, 15:59   #946
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The first picture looks fabulous. Looks like an apt upgrade for 2nd car at home, now waiting for price reveal

Last edited by raj.barcode : 22nd June 2021 at 16:00.
Old 22nd June 2021, 16:07   #947
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

I was waiting for this car since forever. Specs and personality of the car look disappointing. No way it’s an upgrade over my Honda city. I cannot buy a Korean car and Tata is just too crass for my taste. I guess I’ll just wait for EVs now. Feeling cheated by Skoda. Don’t understand why they would call it vision India when there is no “Indianness” in the car.
Why couldn’t they bring some platform which can supports a wider car and tyres(195 won’t look good on a SUV) with rear overhangs for better bootspace. They have stretched a hatchback platform to it’s limit and that just won’t work with a compact SUV.
Old 22nd June 2021, 16:13   #948
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaRocks View Post
Hey where is the Red one in the media drive?
Here are some pics, courtesy Times Drive -

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-tntimesdrivepost2021_06_22_14_55.jpg

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-tntimesdrivepost2021_06_22_14_551.jpg

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-tntimesdrivepost2021_06_22_14_553.jpg

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-tntimesdrivepost2021_06_22_14_552.jpg

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-tntimesdrivepost2021_06_22_14_554.jpg

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-tntimesdrivepost2021_06_22_14_555.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousnewbie View Post
Why couldn’t they bring some platform which can supports a wider car and tyres(195 won’t look good on a SUV) with rear overhangs for better bootspace.
Don't think its a platform limitation, unless the MQB A0 IN is not really just a localized MQB A0 as VW claims.

The Skoda Kamiq based on the MQB A0, for example, has 18 inch wheels with 215 section tyres on it's range topping Monte Carlo trim.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd June 2021 at 16:25.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 16:47   #949
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Here are some pics, courtesy ...
Wow, the car looks stunning in Red - looks quite grown up in this color as well. Just love those interiors - very clean lines and shapes that is typical of a VW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscosity View Post
But what other options do they really have ? Isn't it that this was the only option they had to pick for Kushaq inspite of knowing the risks associated with it ?
Nope, Skoda could have used the DQ380 which will work very well in the Kushaq 1.5. Octavia ATs sold with the same 1.5 TSI engine in Europe come with this gearbox - it can handle up to 380 NM of Torque. Yes, it would be a bit more expensive, but then it needs to be provided only in top end trims, which are less price sensitive.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 22nd June 2021 at 16:50.
Old 22nd June 2021, 16:49   #950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaur View Post
I believe SKODA is trying to straddle 2 segments (sub4m and 4+m) with one vehicle and might position it midway in terms of price offering a decent balance of Cost-Quality-Performance solution.

They might want to pull customers from the lower (sub4m) segment and offer a step above offering and premium product at a slight stretch of a budget when compared to moving to Seltos-Creta-Hector category.
Exactly my thoughts too. Visually, the Taigun and the Kushaq look smaller than the Creta and Seltos. Secondly, Skoda and VW have no product planned in the sub 4m Cross over segment. And the new Polo is not exactly coming any time soon. So the Taigun and the Kushaq are their only mid term strategy at volumes. Hence there is quite a possibility that these 2 cars are priced just in between Ecosport/ Nexon and the Creta / Seltos segments so that there is a wow factor from day one. Skoda can hope that they can lure some under 4m cross over customers as we ones from the higher segment too. Else going head in with the Creta and Seltos with a visually smaller car is a mammoth task.
motorworks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 16:55   #951
BHPian

A sales person from Skoda Showroom in Mumbai called me, he is sticking to the same language "Car experts are saying it (1.5DSG) will be priced around 20L On road", same as what he had communicated 10 days ago.

I feel 20L is appropriate, same as GTX Seltos DCT. Smaller car, good features, and with a (hopefully) better built quality, and certainly better safety and engine.

He mentioned bookings will open on 28th June, 1.5DSG will be available for a test drive, but deliveries for this model only in August.

Looking forward to the test drive, getting the feel of interiors and boot space
vinitbarve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 17:22   #952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Here are some pics,
Is it just me or is there a gap between the lower part of the grille and the bumper?

Knowing the amount of insects/grime that gets caught on the front portion during highway drives, any gap up front will cause them to get lodged straight into the fins of the radiator/intercooler.

I hope its just an illusion.
Old 22nd June 2021, 17:37   #953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
DQ380 which will work very well in the Kushaq 1.5. Octavia ATs sold with the same 1.5 TSI engine in Europe come with this gearbox - it can handle up to 380 NM of Torque. Yes, it would be a bit more expensive, but then it needs to be provided only in top end trims, which are less price sensitive.
Only Octavia 1.5 TSI with 4x4 is offered with DQ381 wet clutch box in Europe. The 1.5 TSI with FWD is offered only with the same DQ200 dry clutch box.

Regarding Kushaq/Taigun size, it is very well known right from the day it is displayed that the dimensions would be smaller than the Korean twins. However VAG should have provided slightly more boot space instead of chopping the rear end abruptly. In the general car buying Indian market, VAG twins have more disadvantages (size, gizmos, service centres) than advantages (safety, build quality, real world engine performance, handling, etc.) compared to the Korean twins. So if they want to pull the market share from Koreans, they have to undercut Korean twins in pricing otherwise it is difficult to get sales numbers. Absence of premium touches such as panorama sunroof, EPB with autohold, aero wipers, spring loaded grab handles, big dead pedal, 8 speakers, colour MID, front parking sensors, etc. do not justify premium pricing.
gopi_rm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 17:48   #954
BHPian

I think along with prices, once we have side by side pictures of Kushaq vs Taigun vs Creta vs Seltos that too from various side angles, up, down, front & back, people will be able to come to decision quickly.

I agree with gopi_rm that from day 1 we all are aware that it is going to be smaller by some mm, but for me, it is not possible till i see it in pictures (if not in actual) to understand & tell someone how big / small this car actually is.

Yes, Quality fit & finish along with better crash ratings are important but majority of people in this segment will be concerned about size as well.
woodstock3001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 17:59   #955
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbarve View Post
1.5DSG will be available for a test drive, but deliveries for this model only in August.
No test drive of the Kushaq 1.5 DSG will be availble in July.

Kushaq 1.5L TSI to Launch on August 4, 2021

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd June 2021 at 18:07.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 18:17   #956
BHPian

I will take the contrarian view here - bigger is not always better.

This idea that the Kushaq has to be as big as the competitors (both in size and feel (i.e., road presence)) is why we don't get cars like Ford Focus and Golf GTI. Imagine discarding them because they are not 5 seaters or the boot space is inadequate or they don't have the bells and whistles that we get in the Koreans.

I am not saying Kushaq is like Ford Focus and Golf GTI, but it can very well bring a value proposition other than just its size and dimension. By all media accounts from the pre-production drive, Kushaq has set a new benchmark in the segment when it comes to driving dynamics. I will happily take a 5 star (hopefully) rated crossover, which has a great engine + transmission combo, corners like a hatchback (more or less), has a good GC, and has decent rear seat and boot space for those occasional trips.

I am holding off on any judgements till I read the Team-BHP official review and get the full picture.
ACe_10 is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 18:42   #957
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACe_10 View Post

VW already owns the bank accounts of the contrarians. They are trying to go after the majoritarians but with this low "volume per rupee" proposition, they will struggle.
androdev is online now   (30) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 19:08   #958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACe_10 View Post

This idea that the Kushaq has to be as big as the competitors (both in size and feel (i.e., road presence)) is why we don't get cars like Ford Focus and Golf GTI. Imagine discarding them because they are not 5 seaters or the boot space is inadequate or they don't have the bells and whistles that we get in the Koreans.

I am holding off on any judgements till I read the Team-BHP official review and get the full picture.
The problem is that we will not get a full picture until and unless the GNCAP tests the Kushaq. So leaving apart the safety aspect, the only differentiators can be ride and handling which will be marginal at best, as it still a high GC crossover. The 1.4 GDI of the Koreans is no slouch either. Hence, the focus on pricing this car well.
nitkel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 19:40   #959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
No test drive of the Kushaq 1.5 DSG will be availble in July.

Kushaq 1.5L TSI to Launch on August 4, 2021

Link
I feel that for Kushaq, variants with 1.0 engine and their pricing are more important commercially due to below points,
  • Not having diesel engine can be a factor for higher priced variants.
  • Dimensions are also not very large.
  • 1.0 Engine itself is competent and doesn't feel let down.
Old 22nd June 2021, 19:44   #960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
VW already owns the bank accounts of the contrarians.
Touché. I get the need to go majoritarian, but lets hope they are not going down the Honda route. There is no light at the end of that tunnel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitkel View Post
we will not get a full picture until and unless the GNCAP tests the Kushaq... the only differentiators can be ride and handling which will be marginal at best.
You are right - we should wait for the actual GNCAP results to come in. That is why I said 'hopefully' in my post. I too have learned my lesson after the Kia episode. On handling, lets see what the reviews are. At the end of the day every car/product is a 'package at a certain price point' - each come with their own pros and cons.

The only disappointment for me is that I will not be able to do an immediate test drive and see for myself. I am getting into a test drive vehicle only after 30 days from my second jab.
ACe_10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks