Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2021, 11:24   #916
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBM3J View Post
I dont think the quote about Taigun having no sunroof is correct. The VW site for Taigun clearly states "Electric Sunroof" as one of the features.

But it will be fantastic if the top end Taigun comes without sunroof. It would give an option to people who doesnt fancy a sunroof and still wants all the other features offered in top variant.
Yes, on the first point, that looks like a typo there. One of the differentiation points between the Kushaq and the Taigun as per the preview given was the bigger sunroof in the Taigun.

And +1 to the second point. I would love it if Skoda had a non-sunroof option in the top trim. I know I am in a minority here with my disinterest in this feature and it doesn't make business sense for a brand to have that as yet another variant. But I also don't want to forego the rest of the useful (especially safety related) features in the top trim, so will have to put up with it.
Old 22nd June 2021, 11:34   #917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
I think people hoping the Kushaq to beat the Korean twins in price is going to be disappointed. It would easily be in the Compass territory, unless I am grossly overestimating.
Cheap localized platform, small engine from the hatchback, completely built in India with 95% localization, size just above sub 4m crossovers, no stand out features, many missing features, hard plastics and Compas price?

Is it me, or the Kushaq looks really small especially in Carbon steel color?. It is going to be bit difficult to maintain this color, but looks really good.

Few more pictures (courtesy: twitter, Kushan Mitra@kushanmitra, overdrive@odmag)
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-kushaq1.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-kushaq2.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-kushaq3.jpg  

Last edited by Latheesh : 22nd June 2021 at 11:53.
Latheesh is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 12:01   #918
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
1. Who has said it is fairly tested? I would never go with a manufacturer's claims of testing a car XYZ km TBH. I would much rather rely on ownership experiences anyday. I have seen carmakers saying they have tested their cars upto 7-8L km and the same car having engine head issues and electronic niggles.
Which is the car you are mentioning about having head issues or electronic niggles? These number of kms tested is just a point to mention on the marketing material. In the background, it would be much diverse than just the kilometer reading. Guess you should understand a bit of how validation takes place in the automotive industry. It is just not performing road tests and claiming xx kms. That is just for the overall product.

Quote:
The DQ200 DSG has always been touted as an unreliable gearbox and VW has done a lot of things to shake off that image. None of that has changed anything. Failures continue to occur. It's a fundamental flaw in the design of the gearbox valve body. I believe VW is using the exact same gearbox again on the Kushaq (would love to be proved wrong though)
Do you have statistics on how many cars failed earlier and how many cars fail now? Regarding clutch pack, it is expected in AMTs and DCTs at one point of time after running. Except Torque converter ATs and maybe CVTs to some extent, nothing else will work in India in the longrun. But the issue with premature mechatronics failure has been addressed globally, and is not just a VW problem. Even Mercedes had to make adaptations due to oil contamination. However, the real effect of these improvements can only be seen a few years later in the field and not immediately. Most of the times, on the internet we find detailed information on the cars with issues, and not the cars which are running fine.

But I wont say that the DSG would be fail proof. Its just that we cant simply brush off efforts done to resolve issues that have been prominent in the long-run.

Quote:
2. A platform doesn't include engines only. It includes several components such as the suspension parts, brakes and electronic architecture. VW has been very poor at localising suspension components in the Polo and Vento and the brakes as well. This is again a point of worry obviously. The two engines are also brand new. Neither have seen Indian conditions for long enough.
Regarding this, you should keep in mind that the platform is a mix of new and old. The engine need not exclusively see Indian conditions. You have test rigs that can give engines more abuse, in a short amount of time which no vehicle testing or ownership review can do. Similarly for other components which are independent of environmental ageing. Coming to the environmental ageing of parts such as rubber bushes in the suspension, plastics etc, this would be the real challenge to test. But when it comes to powertrain, electronics, they need not be extensively tested on the road. How many test mules do you spot on the road for every car compared to how much of parts that exist in the car? Its a puny number. You can expect a good number of components to be carried over from older cars like Polo or Vento and at the same time, those components already being assessed earlier. Thats an advantage for the company in terms of R&D costs and long term reliability. A new platform does not necessarily mean everything is new. The biggest change is the body structure and the electronic architecture. And for a global company, their components are designed to be easily swappable across cars.

For VW or Skoda, their India 2.0 strategy is promising since they have openly admitted their intention of reducing maintenance costs, improving the ownership experience and also making cars more India-suitable. So we have to wait and watch.

But for the early birds, there should not be too much of a worry since this is no Tata or Mahindra. Perhaps not a Maruti or Toyota either so that would be where my expectations would be.
audioholic is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 12:03   #919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Prebooked at PPS Skoda Bengaluru just now. The dealer said they are focusing on delivering 100 cars by August 10th!
Congratulations! You are brave.

Booking the Skoda car before seeing it on flesh is bravest thing in India.
Old 22nd June 2021, 12:06   #920
Senior - BHPian

I am unable to identify where is design deviating from the Kamiq, resulting in 'awkwardness' of the rear end. Could it be the visual effect of the C pillar window which is absent on the Kushaq?
Surprisingly the prominent lip of the rear bumper, usually a staple VAG design trait in international models is almost absent in both!
Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-skodakamiqredside2019.jpg
Name:  D7WM54POJDIJIPPO4NV2I7YBSQ.png
Views: 4743
Size:  72.5 KB
Old 22nd June 2021, 12:08   #921
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Is it me, or the Kushaq looks really small especially in Carbon steel color?

Few more pictures (courtesy: twitter, Kushan Mitra@kushanmitra, overdrive@odmag)
Size deficit is even more evident with people in the frame. Here is the same journo posing with the car -

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-kushanmitraphoto2021_06_22_11_51.jpg

Not surprisingly too! Like we have discussed earlier, Kushaq is smaller than many sub-4m SUVs except in length! As for the length - like many members including us have mentioned, it feels even shorter than it actually is, thanks to the design.

Good for people looking at a slightly better alternative to the sub-4m choices available - the 1.0 TSi especially.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd June 2021 at 12:17.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 12:08   #922
BHPian

Just from the initial pictures and specs, this car car looks like it's a segment below seltos and creta. Looks more like a 4 seater than 5.

Except VW & Skoda fans Not many will prefer kushaq over Korean twins base model, for 13L or so creta looks big and is spacious.

If top end 1.5L DSG is priced on par with 1.4L DCT, it'll bring top end creta /seltos buyers.

And Skoda can never match Hyundai's sales and service network.
Even if I would want to buy kushaq, there's no service center in 100 km radius.
Hope they expand their reach and price kushaq on par / lower than Korean Boys.
Old 22nd June 2021, 12:10   #923
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Size deficit

Good for people looking at a slightly better alternative to the sub-4m choices available.
Exactly. This would look puny compared to Creta or Seltos, and I expect it to be positioned similarly. Perhaps the 1.5 DSG would carry a fat premium, but the rest of the 1.0 Variants must be priced attractively.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 12:24   #924
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
But for the early birds, there should not be too much of a worry since this is no Tata or Mahindra. Perhaps not a Maruti or Toyota either so that would be where my expectations would be.
The main issue with VW group is that they don't support customers in the event of a failure. Tata and Mahindra may not be reliable but they take care of you on a best-effort basis. VW is like our Govt income tax department - assumes customer is a crook trying to cheat the company. Their warranty plans are too complex, not cheap and claims processing is steeped in mistrust and harassment.

The group is chasing the wrong outcomes (make it cheap through localisation) and instead they should focus on friendly customer service that inspires confidence and trust even if it is a bit expensive to own a VW. There is enough market for premium products and services. There will never be a market for poor customer service which is what VW represents currently. VW thinks their problem lies in pricing and cost of ownership. People are OK to buy a Polo with extended warranty but they back off because they don't trust the brand will support them even while having a warranty cover.
androdev is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 12:27   #925
BHPian

(Might be off topic for this thread. Dear mods, please move this post if required.)

According to Skoda website there are 2 dealers in Delhi. Aryaveer Motors and Jai Auto Vehicles. I am looking for feedback for their sales and more importantly service experience.
If someone can share their feedback, from your own ownership of a Skoda vehicle or word of mouth, it will be extremely helpful. I will book 1.0L MT once the prices and spec sheet is out.

PS - I know buying a product at launch is very risky and service of Skoda is always suspect. It's a risk I am willing to take as of now.
chautob0t is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 12:35   #926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
The main issue with VW group is that they don't support customers in the event of a failure. Tata and Mahindra may not be reliable but they take care of you on a best-effort basis. VW is like our Govt income tax department - assumes customer is a crook trying to cheat the company. Their warranty plans are too complex, not cheap and claims processing is steeped in mistrust and harassment.
So true! They have time and again betrayed the customer's trust. Whether it be the injector issues in old Vento TDI models, or the constant back and forth just to get them to approve the mechatronics module replacement under warranty. First, they price the parts exorbitantly and then treat customers like they are doing them a big favor for replacing inherently faulty parts!

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 22nd June 2021 at 13:10.
nitkel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 12:49   #927
BHPian

Quote:
Do you have statistics on how many cars failed earlier and how many cars fail now? nothing else will work in India in the longrun. But the issue with premature mechatronics failure has been addressed globally, and is not just a VW problem.
Statistics do not matter. Anyone with basic information regarding cars has the impression of DSG being unreliable.

And like you said that nothing else will will work in the long run, then VW should ditch this altogether and get torque converter. They are aiming at bigger numbers with this and when the bigger numbers start having gearbox problems, then i guess we all know how the Skoda aftersales is and how quickly the word spreads across social media (Remember Seltos's DCT temperature issue?)

Quote:
For VW or Skoda, their India 2.0 strategy is promising since they have openly admitted their intention of reducing maintenance costs, improving the ownership experience and also making cars more India-suitable.
This whole point contradicts having DQ200 in the new gen cars.
Old 22nd June 2021, 13:00   #928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Skoda would definitely not risk putting a gearbox in the Kushaq unless they are really convinced of its reliability.
But what other options do they really have ? Isn't it that this was the only option they had to pick for Kushaq inspite of knowing the risks associated with it ?
Old 22nd June 2021, 13:04   #929

A few glimpses from EvoIndia's insta-story! (disappeared from their Instagram now)

https://www.instagram.com/evoindia/?hl=en

Screen recorded video can be found here: It includes music/infotainment system testing, thud sound , horn etc.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nNE...el_1AsCn8/view
and https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ceM...qmtYCZDnb/view
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-kusha1.png  

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-kushaq2.png  

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-kushaq3.png  

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-kushaq4.png  

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-kushaq5.png  

Last edited by pocketaces : 22nd June 2021 at 13:20.
pocketaces is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 13:13   #930
BHPian

Although Kushaq looks (and is) smaller than Korean twins, it has clean lines. It takes divine force to convince me that Creta looks good. While Seltos looks good, the NCAP rating will continue to haunt it. Kushaq on the other hand can manage 4 stars or that is what I believe for the time being. So, as long as the interior is spacious and comfortable, I don't care a dime about the stance. After all, we buy cars to satisfy our needs, not to impress others.

Regarding pricing, Skoda will be doing itself good by undercutting Creta/Seltos for comparable variants but to expect it to be priced like Magnite??? Well, it won't happen.
DonHyd is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks