Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What price do you expect?
15 to 21 lacs 191 20.34%
16 to 22 lacs 168 17.89%
17 to 23 lacs 177 18.85%
18 to 24 lacs 184 19.60%
19 to 25 lacs 219 23.32%
Voters: 939. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2021, 10:11   #1471
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700, now launched at 11.99 lakhs

Wow the pricing has undercut not only rivals but segments! A Harrier base variant starts at 14.5 lakhs, similar XUV700 base variant in diesel starts at 12.5 lakhs, a huge 2 lakh difference. Add to that the bling Mahindra will add even to the base variant it will surely be more tempting then the bare bones base Harrier. Harrier - Safari twins are staring at a substancial reduction in numbers in the coming months.
By the way, now where does the upcoming Scorpio sit in terms of pricing? Anyways XUV700 has already disrupted the safe zones of CSUVs, looking forward to what the Scorpio does.
Old 16th August 2021, 10:30   #1472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheStorm View Post
I searched online and found out that Nissan’s been using plastic tail gate for their Rogue model since 2013. And it seems to have won some innovation award for that. So I don’t think there is much to panic as most of the impact in case of rear end collision will be absorbed by Body in white structure (of course tailgate and rear bumper do absorb some forces)
https://www.plasticsnews.com/article...-top-spe-award
I used to have a 2009 Nissan Murano. It also had a plastic tailgate. And as others have pointed out automotive plastics are of various types and selected based on usage. And plastic does not mean plastics like PET that we commonly bump into alone.

The front fenders of the current generation XUV is also made from plastics (and so were the fenders of the Murano I owned).

I think we should indulge in informed worrying rather than panic worrying.
Sanjunair5 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 10:32   #1473
BHPian

Initial impressions -

Design: In another thread I gave Mahindra a hard time for sticking with the Jeep 7 slat grill. Whatever be the historic licensing deal, I felt it was not good for a brand with global aspirations to mimic the Jeep. The front grill though not good looking (a highly subjective opinion) is a clear move away from Jeep.

Pricing: The pricing reveal though for a small subset of variants (petrol, manual, 5 seater, till mid-level) throws some lights on what Mahindra considers competition. All 4m+ 5 seater SUVs are now under threat from the XUV700. Really smart move in shaping perceptions. The 7 seaters are likely to start from AX5 variant. You are likely to get AX7 5 seater or the equivalent of AX5 7 seater for the same price (17 lakhs approx?). My guess for 7 seaters

AX5 Petrol MT - 17
AX5 Petrol AT - 18-19
AX7 Petrol MT - 19
AX7 Petrol AT - 20-21

Diesel will carry 1 lakh premium over the respective petrol. Or will it be cheaper? There was some talk about Thar Petrol actually costing more than the diesel to make.
sramanat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 10:33   #1474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post

Indian infrastructure is not ready for space saver tires yet. Also, I feel space savers are an inconvenience everywhere - even in the US.
As I said, they are an abomination. A stop gap fix that is done in India to (barely) comply with the legal requirement. Though I wonder why they couldn't provide a full size wheel (steel wheel at least) in such a large vehicle like the XUV.

I just hope this trend doesn't catch on, like the mobile phone manufacturers not providing phone chargers citing environmental concerns. Great way to make some quick bucks selling the chargers separately. Apple started, Samsung mocked it for that. And within a couple months, followed suit and stopped providing chargers.
FloatingCanvas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 11:00   #1475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
A rough guide of the XUV700 prices against the 7-seaters.

NOTE: There is one more variant to go for XUV700 (AX7). Tried to compare the one-below top for the rest too.

Attachment 2192953
Well the price revealed is only for the 5 seater petrol variant and should be compared with price for similar 5 seater variants.

However, if you add a lakh for Automatic and another for the additional features in the AX7 and another lakh for for the additional 2 seats it will be 18 lakhs which is a mouth watering introductory price for petrol top end 7 seater. Good pricing strategy by Mahindra . They can gradually increase the price after the first lot is sold.
Old 16th August 2021, 11:04   #1476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
The new logo of Mahindra is too soft. It resembles a butterfly IMO A butterfly is soft, tender, frail, light and vulnerable. How can this be a logo to an SUV. I am scratching my head on how no body at Mahindra felt this.

Vehicles especially SUVs IMHO should be macho and rugged in appeal. Most other manufacturers put symbols/branding which are butch, signals power and danger.

Lion-Peugeot
Bull-Lamborghini
Viper- Dodge
Raptor-Ford
Horse-Ferrari
Jaguar-Tata
Ram-Chrysler
I agree that Mahindra should have designed a better logo. That butterfly logo looks silly. Even Maruti had a better one. Instead of this logo, Mahindra could have downloaded better logos on Google

By the way, Tata owns the Jaguar brand, it doesn't have Jaguar as its logo
CarNerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 11:05   #1477
BHPian

200 ps 2L petrol in a 1700-1800 kg body ! Given current fuel prices, one really needs to let their enthusiast heart take over head to buy this one

I foresee 5-6 kpl for the petrol automatic in real life city crawls.
JishD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 11:08   #1478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTigor View Post
Add to that the bling Mahindra will add even to the base variant it will surely be more tempting then the bare bones base Harrier..
Harrier comes with many safety features even at base variant. There is no such guarantee for XUV700 MX, hope Mahindra doesn't screw up safety features like ESP\TCS\RM etc. Harrier even has powerful diesel engine than XUV700. And Harrier might've overcome its "niggles" phase.

But agreed, people will get attracted to bling features and surely upcoming sales numbers for Harrier, Safari, Hector, Hector+ Alcazar will be dull.
ramki.grandhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 11:16   #1479
BHPian

I can assure you, that XUV5oo was tough has hell., coming from first hand experience of owning one for over 1lakh kms.

1. I can assure you the bumpers (assisted by metal frames and bars inside) were seriously capable in even making huge dents in cars in front and back with metal parts, without even a scratch on them. So I have no worries of a plastic tailgate.
  2. I once drove it to Vrindavan on the Expressway, where we experienced golf balls sized hail enroute, what it did to other cars was nearly total them.. with dents on the entire body and roof almost caving in. What it did to the XUV5oo was a few dents on the mental bonnet and the tailgate just below the glass area and breakage of one of the wing mirror caps, nothing on the plastic fenders
  3. I had plastic bumpers (like every other car), plastic fenders and these stood the test of time on a black car which remained in sun for 8 years under my ownership and saw all weathers of Delhi NCR of its life. You couldnt tell the metal paint surfaces apart from the plastic ones.
  4. My office was in a 5* hotel, which led to opening and closing of bonnet and boot everyday, where these guards will push them in gently instead of giving them a fair slam. Given the weight of the metal parts, this repeated motion along with the push from the guards led to my boot and bonnet lock no longer alligning properly, dont thinh this will be as big of a problem with plastic. But time will tell
  5. Also with the decreasing thickness of sheet metal these days, and there are all the Japs that you can compare it to. I would rather feel better with a good thick reinforced plastic, assisted with proper crash frame to keep me safe.
  6. I work very closely with large Auto-comp suppliers and I can assure you a proper polymer compound like Nylon6, 66 or PBT reinforced with GF is multiple times stronger and stiffer than simmilarly thick metal sheet.

I hope my fellow BHPians can really see this as an innovation and an investment from M&M which it is, rather than mistaking it as a cost saving. M&M with its XUV has always been a pioneer in bringing mnany industry and segment firsts, and I don't think they will do these ommissions in safety or quality, in the name of savings.

Also before the debate starts to go towards the electronics, even though mine was a first batch XUV literally one of the first hundred customer cars, I can vouch for their reliability and M&M's exceptional customer service in proactively fixing everything up. I have owned multiple OE brands cars and I can assure you they are right up there amongst the best and the pricing/spend on A.S.S. and spares for XUV5oo was amongst the best in its segment.

That being said, I am now seriously exploring trading in my Seltos with the 7oo. Eagerly waiting for the pricing and delivery schedules for the top end variants.
AGwagon is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 11:17   #1480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Tailgate means the rear hatch, fender is an entirely different thing. Since it was mentioned that the 'tailgate' is made of plastic, it sounds stupid on part of Mahindra if it actually is or the poster of that snap on Instagram who doesn't understand a thing about it and is reviewing a car.

Thanks! It was my bad, I was thinking bumper but wrote fender.
Ajay_Sensei is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 11:19   #1481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Here's the material colour code of XUV700

Attachment 2193365
I wouldn't trust this because of spelling mistakes. No company will put out any description with such errors. There is nothing called *Advanced Hight Strength Steel* (used in both orange and blue code). This looks likes a photo of print publication and if this really is printed then I am shocked at the copywriters of the advertising firm and editors of the publication.
Old 16th August 2021, 11:21   #1482
BHPian

What is the logic behind not revealing all the prices? Is it just a ploy to register the low price in our minds before releasing the more relevant variants which will obviously be higher in price?
The logo isn't working for me. It's just made worse by the Scross style grill.

The package looks promising and will hopefully force a few refreshes among the competition. That's good for us as a consumer. Small refreshes like the electronic park break making its way into the harrier as well as Safari upgrading their touchscreen and software would be great. I feel MG will struggle the most.
chittybang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 11:23   #1483
BHPian

I was this close to book fortuner. I have to seriously consider XUV 700 now. Loaded with electronics and on a lower budget. My family wanted a sunroof which was missing in fortuner. Endeavour was out of my choice due to the uncertainty of Ford’s future in India. Cant wait to get the full specs of AX7 AT.
febin8055 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 11:24   #1484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
200 ps 2L petrol in a 1700-1800 kg body ! Given current fuel prices, one really needs to let their enthusiast heart take over head to buy this one

I foresee 5-6 kpl for the petrol automatic in real life city crawls.
That could be the reality, but the difference is the massive torque of the motor as revealed, its 380NM just like a diesel engine. The characteristic could be different from normal gasoline engines.
Mahindra XUV700, now launched at 11.99 lakhs-20210816_095302.jpg

Thar owners can throw some light on it too.
ALCAZAR 2.0L petrol - 156ps/192nm/1400kg.
MG Hector 1.5T petrol - 150ps/250nm/1700kg
XUV700 2.0T petrol - 200ps/380nm/1800kg
Thar 2.0T petrol - 150ps/320nm/1750kg
TorqueIndia is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 11:26   #1485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachhaMan10 View Post
Thumbs up for video surveillance/recording
Looks like ventilated seats are part of package, we can see a new option called ventilation in the settings.
Also as pointed out by Saurav, the AdrenoX teaser video had an icon showing air flow from seats too (Can't be too sure if it is that ). M&M might be saving few tidbits to scatter in the coming weeks to keep the hype alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurav_Nair View Post
Few observations:
There have been numerous reports that the 7OO could potentially miss out on ventilated seats. While going through some pics in the AdrenoX teaser, saw a small icon below the airflow direction indicator. What does it indicate? I honestly have no idea. The indication is present only in one of the pics in the teaser.
Attachment 2187328
UltraViolence is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks