Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2021, 10:10   #241
BANNED

re: Ford to wrap up India operations

In the greater scheme of things it doesn't matter if Ford stays or leaves. Hell, it doesn't even matter if Ford America or GM goes bankrupt. The automotive landscape is changing, there are going to be a lot more EV players. The entry barrier is much lower, the technology is simpler and more readily available from specialized vendors. You guys should be rejoicing, more competition means better value for us consumers.

A decade or so ago, a lot of us would have complained about Nokia missing the pulse and completely falling out of the game. And look where we are now, so many choices for mobile phones, offerings across the price spectrum. No one cares about Nokia any more.

Things are changing and for the better. Rejoice!

Last edited by Electromotive : 9th September 2021 at 10:32.
Electromotive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 14:12   #242
Senior - BHPian

https://twitter.com/REDBOXINDIA/stat...85538628669442

As per this post on Twitter -
"
Redbox India
@REDBOXINDIA
US CAR MAKER FORD TO SHUT DOWN BOTH ITS MANUFACTURING PLANT IN INDIA BY SECOND QUARTER OF 2022."

So another manufacturer wrapping up operations in India. Who's next? Honda most likely
Old 9th September 2021, 14:21   #243
Senior - BHPian

It's over. Best of luck to Ford owners.

https://twitter.com/hormazdsorabjee/...87676985524224

"Ford India finally pulls the plug on India operations. Shuts down both Sanand and Maraimalai plants thus ending a quarter century of make-in-india models. Ford brand to continue in India with niche products like Mustang and Ranger. Officially announcement expected today"
Old 9th September 2021, 14:25   #244
BHPian

Seems like Ford India has finally decided to pull the plug.

Ford to wrap up India operations-img_20210909_142412.jpg

Credits- Ford Figo India Owners Group

Last edited by abhi9044 : 9th September 2021 at 14:27.
Old 9th September 2021, 14:27   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

End of sensibly priced FTD cars

Name:  Screenshot 20210909 142511.png
Views: 161
Size:  31.0 KB
CEF_Beasts is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 14:28   #246
BHPian

Sad to hear such information. Still cannot understand - Why they introduced Figo automatic last month? Why are they readying EcoSport facelift for launch next month? If both the factories are getting closed how would the facelift be manufactured?

I do hope they are able to bring in cars like the Focus RS or the Fiesta ST through the CBU route keeping the niche product strategy in mind.
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 14:35   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Some closure to the speculations at last.

On one side feel pity for Ford India that the Figo/Aspire was such a sales dud (loved the 1.5D in the Figo), while on the other hand feel that Ford India deserved it considering how they just sat on the Ecosport's success and didn't bother to launch high riding models above or below the Ecosport, even though they had in their international line-up.

Good that they are staying to concentrate on CBUs and niche models. Mustang, Endeavour and Ranger are all pretty good models to have, and also they could import CBUs which they see fit. Also a kind of way to keep their feet on the door for any future launches. Glad they didn't stoop down to slapping the Ford Territory badge on some chinese model and selling it here.

Only if the Mahindra-Ford JV worked...

Last edited by DicKy : 9th September 2021 at 14:36.
DicKy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 14:39   #248
Senior - BHPian

As a Ford owner, I expect something much worse, glad they will offer CBU models. This will ensure continued service for older models.

Hope we get to see V6 Diesel Endeavour
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 14:47   #249
Senior - BHPian

The Ford closure is so similar to GM. Testing their new products on Indian roads to create illusion that they were here to stay. Too bad such good quality car makers can't be profitable. I find it really surprising, that the makers of Ecosport that literally defined the urban SUV concept and used the same underlying for a decade have to close their business.
Old 9th September 2021, 15:01   #250
BHPian

Only engine unit and CBU operations out of Sanand plant.
Chennai plant to shutdown completely.
Vehicles in consideration for CBU,Mustang and Mach-E
Old 9th September 2021, 15:02   #251
KPR
BANNED

Many thanks to Ford for giving us Ecosport. Even at the time when it exits Ecosport is unbeaten in terms of a complete package. Nobody is close to that practical TDCI mill in BS6. This is like Dhoni's test exit. I don't own a Ford ES yet I know what that car is.

Last edited by KPR : 9th September 2021 at 15:04.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 15:11   #252
Senior - BHPian

Ford made the decision as it was not profitable for them to continue.

Quote:
Ford made the decision as it was not profitable for them to continue, said one of the sources, adding that the process will take about a year to complete.
Quote:
The U.S. automaker will continue to sell some its cars in the country through imports, said the second source, adding that it will also provide support to dealers to service existing customers.
Reuters

Last edited by Venkatesh : 9th September 2021 at 15:12.
Old 9th September 2021, 15:11   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
As a Ford owner, I expect something much worse, glad they will offer CBU models. This will ensure continued service for older models.

Hope we get to see V6 Diesel Endeavour
I think it's more of temporary face saving. Ford's current dealership infrastructure cannot be sustained through a CBU model selling a few hundred cars nationally every month. We currently own a Ford product as well.

The servicing side will continue for sometime perhaps a couple of years at best. Retaining employees and expertise will be even more challenging as they will be swallowed up by rivals.

Once the company winds down things fall apart very fast and continuing long term ownership is questionable, as with prior examples in Daewoo, GM etc.
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 15:12   #254
BANNED

They are going because they were destined to.

Brands do make come back Ford had a stronger brand value than both Tata and VW/Skoda, but the latter have worked and are still working, and we will see the impact too. Ford simply sat and let the market slip from their hands post the Ecosport and Endy.

I am concerned about the people who will be losing their daily bread just because the management didn't had a vision - nobody else bothers me!
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 15:13   #255

If Ford is shutting shop in India, why was there an emission test on the endeavour in chakan? There's a separate thread here in team-bhp that confirmed the Bi-turbo endeavour will launch in October. I originally planned on selling my old endeavour and get a new endeavour but all these rumours are putting me in a fix. Members, please advise. I was really looking forward to getting the endeavour it's my dream car.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks