Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2021, 10:28   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Ford to wrap up India operations

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
The sudden burst of rumor mongering that started a few days before Figo AT launch - very likely that its a motivated negative media / social media campaign run by some vested interests (read as competitors) - with the likely intent of killing the prospects of Figo AT.
For a brand which is known to pull the plug on variants and features every other day, they don't need rumours to kill prospects of a new launch.

Their actions don't speak of their strong commitment to compete in the market. Their model line-up and their powertrains are old now, which they continue to flog. On top of it, they haven't come up a clear strong explanation refuting these rumours.

Either they're too lazy or they've indeed given up the fight! IMO, they themselves are to be blamed here.

PS: I will give them the credit which shows some dedication - for upgrading their diesel engines to BS6 when majority of the OEMs chose to discontinue them. They also got new engine + transmission for the Endeavour. But IMO, these are half attempts only and not enough.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 10:08   #167
BHPian

I (my heart) want to buy Ford EcoSport S diesel variant to replace my aging (but still in excellent condition) workhorse, i10 Kappa2 Sportz. I have visited two Ford dealers here in Guwahati. The dealers have said that Ford wil stay in India. One sales executive has even sent me a WhatsApp message with Ford India social media screenshot(?) confirming their commitment to stay in India. But I am holding back the purchase as Ford India is expected to clear the air in the second half of this year. Hope Ford makes an official statement considering the goodwill of us, the Ford lovers (though goodwill itself may not be sufficient enough for their stay in India).

Last edited by Fastdriver : 24th July 2021 at 10:11.
Fastdriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 12:12   #168
Senior - BHPian

If Ford is indeed not exiting India, then they can easily make it an official statement to one of the automobile journalists, I mean they can find a way to do this. For example they can set a meeting with a well know auto journalist, discuss many things like even the Figo AT or the supposedly upcoming Ecosport facelift etc and casually mention that they are here to stay. I’m not saying that Ford should call a press conference and declare their intention openly, but there are other subtle ways to do it. Might just get the customers confidence level up.

And Ford india is smart to know they can do this, but if they haven’t done it yet, then they are probably not sure themselves, might be under discussion in the US.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 14:42   #169
BANNED

Ford India has already said that it doesn't comment on media speculation. And I can't see why they need to say anything more than that.

Hypothetically, let's imagine that Ford India released a statement that the speculations are false. Or, let's take it a few notches higher - and let's imagine that Ford Global CEO himself steps in and says that Ford is committed to India. Will that help? Won't those who love indulging in rumours (with zero evidence to back it up) still say that GM CEO had said the same thing one year before GM exited India.

In short, rumours is an itch that doesn't go away that easily.

Last edited by PYSO : 24th July 2021 at 14:50.
PYSO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 15:14   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford has had so many ups and downs in India (mostly downs) - despite huge investments over 25 hears, they have not been able to break-even or scale to more than a tiny market share. However, my hypothesis is that this would be the wrong time to exit. Ford's global strategy is to lead in Electric Vehicles. And India is at the cusp of large scale electrification. India has a low cost for domestic electric power (half the cost in the US - $0.08 per KWH in India versus $0.15 in the USA and over $0.25 per KHW in many European countries). On the other hand, it has some of the highest fuel prices in the world, (double the prices in the US). So India is a great market that is likely to explode in terms of Electric Mobility in the future. This is where Ford should be, to try different business models, and they could make India the "lab" for their global EV strategy for emerging markets.

IN addition, Ford has a large business services and IT operations presence in India - they could use this to synergize and scale the India business.
84.monsoon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 15:28   #171
BHPian

Ford needs to throw out the Indian Management team. Also, do you guys think the Puma would perform well in India?
sid3091 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 15:35   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Ford has had so many ups and downs in India (mostly downs) - despite huge investments over 25 hears, they have not been able to break-even or scale to more than a tiny market share. However, my hypothesis is that this would be the wrong time to exit. Ford's global strategy is to lead in Electric Vehicles. And India is at the cusp of large scale electrification. India has a low cost for domestic electric power (half the cost in the US - $0.08 per KWH in India versus $0.15 in the USA and over $0.25 per KHW in many European countries). On the other hand, it has some of the highest fuel prices in the world, (double the prices in the US). So India is a great market that is likely to explode in terms of Electric Mobility in the future. This is where Ford should be, to try different business models, and they could make India the "lab" for their global EV strategy for emerging markets.

IN addition, Ford has a large business services and IT operations presence in India - they could use this to synergize and scale the India business.
The counter argument to this is the average selling price of a car in India vs volumes at that price. And when i say average selling price, I mean the price before taxes because none of the taxes charged on the car actually goes to the manufacturer. Electric cars are not cheap - they are cheap to run and maintain but the starting price isnt cheap. Indian government also insists on charging high taxes on imported cars including EV's if they arent built in India and if they are to be built in India, there isnt enough volume to justify a factory operation. With the automobile landscape getting increasingly competitive including a seismic shift in consumer behaviour and government regulation, it would actually help Ford if there were no distractions. India isnt a big market for Ford anyway.
Old 28th July 2021, 17:24   #173
BANNED

With each passing day, it seems, Ford innings is coming to an end in India.

Was browsing today, Ford Figo Diesel and Petrol manual are neither listed on the website nor on the brochure, the AT's being offered, it seems are to clear up the inventory.

Extremely sad, Ford's were way better than the tin cans being sold thesedays.
Old 28th July 2021, 19:32   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
With each passing day, it seems, Ford innings is coming to an end in India.

Was browsing today, Ford Figo Diesel and Petrol manual are neither listed on the website nor on the brochure, the AT's being offered, it seems are to clear up the inventory.
Both Petrol and Diesel Manual are still mentioned on the website, just that they are a bit hidden!

https://www.india.ford.com/content/d..._Techspech.pdf

Here in the drop down menu for the Figo it’s available as ‘Figo MT’! Ford if I recall had said on the launch day of the Figo AT, that the MT variants are still on sale, a Mod had confirmed the same with them!

Ford to wrap up India operations-19c320e4d2244151a0823ffc38501bc5.jpeg
Old 28th July 2021, 19:49   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
You should check this new thread with updated information regarding Figo petrol manual and diesel.

Quoting ChiragM Post here

Quote:
I happened to visit a Ford dealer over the weekend and I heard that these cars are no longer coming.

However, some said that petrol manual cars, as well as the diesel Figos, will be made available only from Jan 2022.
Link (What's with the Ford Figo petrol manual and Figo diesel?)
Old 29th July 2021, 09:17   #176
Senior - BHPian

There is another article in Economic Times about Ford’s India struggles to find a partner. It seems like Ford is really going all out to find someone to take over their capacity. Most big players like Maruti, Hyundai, Tata have nothing to gain from Ford. All of them have their in-house expertise in small cars and compact cross overs. There is no new technology or an unique model that Ford has which would interest the top 3. And the fringe players like Renault, Nissan, VW, Skoda don’t need the additional capacity considering their volumes are small.

So this is a very tricky situation for Ford. The demand in general is not great, so none of the of the manufacturers really want additional capacity. Second, potential Chinese investors have now held back their plans for the time being else that could have been an option. And third, Ford simply does not have anything great to offer in terms of a strategic partnership to any of the top manufacturers in terms of engines or gear boxes or anything like that. Almost everyone has a turbo engine these days, and everyone also has their own compact cross over.

Quite simply put, Ford has to invest significantly in new cars or shut one of their plants and run only one to cater to their existing sales as an interim solution and wait it out for another 1-2 years. Hopefully by then either the Ford board approves additional investment or some external investment comes thru.
Old 29th July 2021, 10:59   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Quite simply put, Ford has to invest significantly in new cars or shut one of their plants and run only one to cater to their existing sales as an interim solution and wait it out for another 1-2 years. Hopefully by then either the Ford board approves additional investment or some external investment comes thru.
Ford to shutdown Sanand plant and focus on high profit SUVs. Ford had a pedigree of making well built, good handling sedans/hatch. Ever since market has moved towards Crossover/SUV, they should concentrate like what they are doing in US. Endeavour and Ecosport has good fan following, get few CBU models, there are enough folks now willing to upgrade from Endeavour. A Seltos/Creta competitor 2 year down the lane will be perfect as by then the people will start looking for something fresh.

Last edited by PrideRed : 29th July 2021 at 11:02.
Old 29th July 2021, 12:28   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Ford to shutdown Sanand plant and focus on high profit SUVs.
===
A Seltos/Creta competitor 2 year down the lane will be perfect as by then the people will start looking for something fresh.
A well priced territory will no doubt make a big dent in the segment, especially now the general public is more aware of how unsafe the seltors/creta are.
Old 29th July 2021, 17:16   #179
BHPian

To me, this may actually be a right opportunity for someone like Tesla who are desperate to enter India market but are demotivated by our taxation policy for CBUs.

With Ford, they might find a right partner in a company that has same origin as theirs who can help in limiting their investment of building a facility from scratch or finding a trained workforce, or lead time to production.

I understand things are way too complex and complicated and both the companies are kind of rivals and would want to safeguard their tech; but I am sure all that can be tightly secured through strong legal agreements and this can be a good proving ground at least for CKD route for Tesla for a market like India.
Old 30th July 2021, 09:49   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford reaches out to half a dozen rival carmakers for rebooting India operations.

Ford has sought companies like Skoda Auto Volkswagen India, Hyundai Motor, Tata Motors, SAIC Motor Corp, MG Motor, and Chongqing Changan Automobile Company.

Quote:
Ford looks to have convened with them to discuss on contract manufacturing opportunities or even the sales of some part of its manufacturing operations.

The report further claims that Ford will shut or sell one of its production units as its domestic sales and export numbers have fallen in recent times. Ford may close both its factories and turn the India operations into a niche unit and thus only CKD Endeavour, Ranger and Mustang could be offered in the future according to the report.
Link
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks