Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2021, 15:20   #16
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti-Suzuki lines up updated model range for India

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
They were also disappointingly unprepared for BS6, despite having such a sexy 1.5 diesel motor and there being demand for diesels today.
I wonder when they will re-launch their diesel engine in BS6 guise! It has been terribly delayed surprisingly. I read somewhere its only going to come next year but we keep reading reports that its almost ready.
Old 25th July 2021, 21:08   #17

I would expect Maruti to do the following instead of merely providing facelifts for their cars:

1. Use the partnership with Toyota to get better transmissions for their cars. Maruti is still stuck with an ancient 4-speed torque converter gearbox with an outdated overdrive on/off functionality. This transmission may not be a bad one but a 4-speed torque converter is unacceptable in 2021.
2. Make the cars safer by providing a build at par with at least the European Suzuki models, along with mandatory dual airbags/ABS in even the base model of its vehicles, and this includes the least expensive and most basic Maruti, the Alto Std.
3. Rework the 1.5 litre diesel to meet BS6 emission standards and reintroduce it in at least the Ciaz, Ertiga, Brezza, XL6 and S-Cross. A automatic option for these diesel models would be good as well.
4. Reintroduce the 1L Boosterjet Engine for both the Swift and Baleno. I know that turbo petrols may not sell well, may increase the price and may have lesser fuel efficiency as compared to a regular petrol engine, but there is a market in our country, however small it may be, which demands for turbo petrols and I feel Maruti should cater to this crowd as well.
5. Bring in the Jimny. It would surely give the Thar a run for its money if launched.
adkrish22290 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 10:19   #18
BANNED

Classic Maruti Suzuki, facelifts and sports/alpha/smart/disco editions and still people flog to buy them. Competition has moved far ahead, Maruti is simply too lazy. It's been 2 years and they haven't been able to convert a 1.5 l diesel to BS6 (no offense to the owners and/or admirers of the brand).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
And I'll add a few bits from my side -
  • Better crash testing ratings.
  • Variants with 6 airbags.
  • ESP/TC and other safety features.
Meanwhile Maruti :
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti-Suzuki lines up updated model range for India-images-6.jpeg  

Lowflyer23 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 10:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

If you don't cannibalise yourself, someone else will gladly do it for you

They have some aesthetic differences, and different sales channels. I think it's important to give customers what they want and having 3 on the middle row is a big, big plus for families. Then, the Glanza-Baleno and Urban Cruiser-Vitara Brezza are co-existing just fine.
But at least they are sold through different companies, and have different customer experiences to offer. Here, selling a 7 seater XL 6 through Nexa and 7 seater Ertiga through MS Arena is like saying, if you want salesmen in white shirts go to MS Arena. If you want them to be in a suit, go to Nexa. Everything else is similar. At the very least they could put a more powerful engine in the XL6 with other features to make some differentiation.

Lastly, what would MSIL do about this?:

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 26th July 2021 at 10:39.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 12:36   #20
BHPian

Without getting into too much detail, my logistics company handled all their France and Germany based Ocean imports pre Covid. This was also pre BS6, and in one of my meetings with their procurement leads, they were SO confident that their strategy of not going with a diesel in the post BS6 environment was the right one.

Would be interesting to talk to them now.
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 12:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

Maruti is typical Indian company. Unless they feel too much of heat from competition, they will not act fast. They will keep selling what is selling in market. Currently they have some good cars but yes they need fresh models too.

1 All New Alto is long due now.
2 New Vitazaa Brezaa is need of the hour. Competition is going ahead.
3 They need something in 20 Lakh space. Something above Brezza and Ertiga.
4 New S cross also needed with better back.
5 Ciaz also needs new model now. Current model is clearly struggling now.
6 They need to get sunroof in their cars like Ciaz, Brezza, Ertiga.
7 Diesel Engine !!! It's overdue now. It should have come few months back only. It can give more volume for cars like Ciaz, Ertiga, Brezza.

I am sure Maruti will do most of these but not until they feel the heat.

Last edited by aniketi : 26th July 2021 at 12:53.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 15:12   #22
BHPian

There is a generational update due for a few years on all desirable products in MS.

Swift may be the only one that looks up to date. Some of the design updates have been backwards in MS.

As already mentioned, 5 star rated vehicles, with revised looks are the need of the day.

Looking at the current market scenario, the end of ICE engines in the next 10 years or so, this will probably be the last update to the underpinnings MS may do. All future updates being only cosmetic.

Again, MS are market leaders who don't have the pressure to really do much. When logic and business management clash, logic loses.
Old 26th July 2021, 16:07   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
The Baleno and Brezza needs a whole generation change, not just updates!!!

Maybe Maruti is trying to focus on the Baleno based crossover and the Toyota collab model. But the Brezza badly needs a generation change now, or atleast a comprehensive update, not just cosmetic ones. Maybe plonk in the 1.5DDiS while they are at it.
So true. Kia is making heads over heels sales with both Petrol and Diesel engines. Brezza does looks dated from interior and exterior.

Brezza, S-Cross, Baleno needs overhaul.
swunkjyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 16:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
XL6 not only needs a facelift but also 16 inch alloys which they already have outside of India
True, if you see bhpian BunnyPunia's white XL6, a simple Alloy swap made so much difference. The stock XL6 looks very "undertyred".
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti-Suzuki lines up updated model range for India-bunnys-xl6.jpg  

Last edited by rakesh_r : 26th July 2021 at 16:39.
rakesh_r is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 16:38   #25
BHPian

I suppose these minor updates and cosmetic enhancements are just a filler for MS till they either come with a BS6 diesel powertrain or a proper hybrid technology that can return good mileage without compromising on power and torque figures. The chances of the latter happening is wafer-thin though.

On a side note-
Instead of doing this MS would have been better off giving-
  • 6 speed AT on the Brezza.
  • Sturdy body shell and outer panels to the Baleno.
  • Give the Ertiga and XL6 proper hybrid and justify a 7-seater MUV running on a 1.5-liter NA petrol engine.
Old 26th July 2021, 17:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

Refreshed XL-6 with 7 seats and new diesel engine would be high on my list.

Recently got to seat in one and even though I'm not generally a fan of the company as such, this vehicle impressed me a lot.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 20:17   #27
BHPian

MSIL must also look at a completely new Ignis too. Its a great car only let down by the somewhat controversial looks of its rear section and outdated interiors.

Last edited by Herschey : 26th July 2021 at 20:26.
Old 26th July 2021, 20:45   #28
Senior - BHPian

Yawn!

Ok, Maruti is coming out with updates? I believe the term is used pretty lethargically by Maruti of late. Nevertheless, I’m hoping Brezza gets a powerful Diesel engine! Knowing Maruti, they’re conservative in their approach to yield more profits without investing much. They’re flocking all their old-new models to keep churning monthly numbers for them. Having said that, will not degrade them too much. I’ll be hopeful for some positive news but they sure have a long gap to fill in considering how dynamic their competitors have been since BS6 implementation!
gururajrv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 20:55   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Without getting into too much detail, my logistics company handled all their France and Germany based Ocean imports pre Covid. This was also pre BS6, and in one of my meetings with their procurement leads, they were SO confident that their strategy of not going with a diesel in the post BS6 environment was the right one.

Would be interesting to talk to them now.
I had a talk with some people of other suppliers of Suzuki in Japan and as per them Suzuki is outwardly content with their decision to not invest further in Diesel Engines. As per them, Suzuki is too small a company to invest resources on next generation Gasoline, Diesel and Hybrid / EV tech at the same time. Suzuki already has its hands full apparently with the successor to K series engines which is probably the last gasoline engine series they will build. This new engine series would debut in 2023-24 apparently.

Suzuki, it seems is confident of meeting Diesel efficiency figures along with emission targets with Hybrid tech at maybe a slightly higher price for the short term till EVs take over. To, the environment conscious person, a hybrid would be more appealing than a Diesel. Suzuki seems to be counting on that. Fun to Drive factor of Diesel is far from their mind at this point. The penalties levied by CAFE rules are highest priority.

Last edited by Carma2017 : 26th July 2021 at 20:56.
Old 26th July 2021, 20:55   #30

I believe that the XL7 is already available in other parts of the world. Maybe MS just has to rename the XL6/XL7 to something else and offer it with the option of 6&7 seats.

Rest of their offering require a midlife facelift and improved interior materials. Please use this as a chance to give us new switches and buttons at least for the more expensive models. Tired of seeing the same parts(especially the window and mirror control switches) from the cheapest model to the most premium model.

Like what the other BHPians have mentioned, MS really needs to bring in their diesels back. The DDiS 225 had great reviews when it was launched in the Ciaz.

Majority of customers who have high usage have moved to other brands due to the lack of diesel engine options. No matter how sedately you drive a petrol, you will not be able to match the efficiency of the diesel. Petrol prices have crossed the Rs.100 mark long back and I hope they don't wait to launch the diesel till the petrol prices cross the Rs.120 or Rs.150 mark

I am surprised many have not mentioned the Jimny. Has everyone lost hope it will be launched in India? How I wish the Jimny is launched in India with 3&5 door option, with the choice of a petrol or diesel engine. Wish MS will make my dreams come true.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks