Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2022, 09:21   #316
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Skoda Kodiaq Facelift prices leaked. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 34.99 lakh

Yesterday I took a TD of the white L & K. Wow such a handsome car. Looks really good in person. I am very impressed. Really fun to drive car. It’s got adequate power. Even in normal drive more I didn’t feel the car was lagging. Sports mode is definitely great. But does make the engine grunt a bit. Loved the ventilated seats. They will be such a relief in our weather. Tried tinkering with the DCC and the ride in comfort mode is really soft and comfortable. Hell it rides on bumps better than my X3. Seating is really comfortable and lots of options for passengers.

3rd row but is kind of unusable. Tried to fit in my 11 yr old boy in it and he was very uncomfortable. But I guess that’s the story in all cars of this category. Overall a buy from my side.

Unfortunately I wouldn’t be going ahead with the purchase. My wife wants me to buy a proper 7 seater car for our family. So I will have to save up more moolah and plan for the X7 / GLS or something else. That will be a very interesting discussion whenever I plan it.

Like always would look forward to feedback from you guys.

Cheers.

Mod Note : Clubbing your loose individual sentences into tightly composed paragraphs. Para spacing in each line is not required.

Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 16th January 2022 at 10:42. Reason: Mod note attached.
drjaygoyal is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 17:15   #317
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Skoda Kodiaq Facelift prices leaked. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 34.99 lakh

I recently took a 20 minute test drive of the L&K variant and I really hoped it would end my prolonged search for a compact luxury SUV. However, it just was not meant to be.

While there were many positives:

1. Stellar build quality - Everything from the paint, to the size, to the alloys screams European luxury. Take the badge off and it suddenly feels like an SUV from a few tiers higher
2. Plush leather seats - One of the most comfortable seats that I have ever had the privilege to sit on. I felt I could drive for days without a break
3. Superb (get it?) audio quality - With the speaker upgrade the Kodiaq now has the same audio system as the Superb. If you thought the Octavia was a disco on wheels - this car is a concert on wheels. They sounded so good I actually had to switch them off mid test-drive so as focus on the test drive

they were significantly outweighed by the negatives:

1. Unflatteringly large size - I was praying for the 5-seater version to launch as we are a small family and it will mostly be used for city driving. This 7-seater version is just too big for that purpose. Unlike the octavia, the length and width of the Kodiaq can really be left - it will most likely be a chore for smaller families to lug around
2. Delicate beige seats - I still cannot believe that they offer beige coloured seats on the top Kodiaq and Octavia variants. In just a few days since the Kodiaq was available for test drive - the driver’s seat already had black smidges that will most likely never come off short of a full seat replacement
3. Small infotainment screen - This was one of the biggest disappointments. How can a car this big, with a 360 camera get such a small screen with a mediocre resolution and outdated UI. This is compounded by the fact that you need to rely on this screen for reversing - as the IRVM and OVRMs are so frustratingly tiny. In addition, the screen is not tilted toward the driver. I took a test drive mid-afternoon and half the already small screen was unreadable due to the glare
4. Ineffective ventilated seats - I have sat in exactly 2 cars with this feature - the Jeep Compass and the Kodiaq and I can confidently say that the Jeep Compass takes the crown hands down. Even after 20 minutes of being turned to full - I did not really feel anything
5. Short people not welcome - Maybe it might be just me but once I got into my ideal driving position - the seat belt was so far behind me I really had to stretch out to grab it
6. Mediocre ground clearance - This is by no means a scientific measure but I really did not see that much of a visual difference in ground clearance between the Kodiaq and Octavia
7. Terrible mileage - I thought my Venue was bad with a 10 kmpl but the Kodiaq gave me 5.7kmpl for the test drive! The route included a 50-50 city-highway drive with a very sedate drive. Not too surprising as the engine seemed underpowered and the car does struggle at higher speeds. This was the biggest no-no in my books. For that mileage and today’s fuel prices, I can buy a premium German diesel SUV and still come out with a lower cost of ownership over 10 years.

and now the so-so items:

1. Overrated DCC - I tested comfort, normal and sport modes back to back over rough and normal patches of road - imperceptible differences. This should not sway any buying decision
2. Missing middle row collapsible lever - The Octavia has levers in the boot to collapse the back row that are missing on the Kodiaq. There is definitely a provision for them in the boot but looks like the feature was deleted
3. Skoda ASS - Always will be a big question mark

So, where does this leave me in the search for a compact luxury SUV? I am back to considering the Volvo XC40 - I have to sacrifice some driving pleasure to have a more well rounded car.
solaris007 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 18:32   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris007 View Post
So, where does this leave me in the search for a compact luxury SUV? I am back to considering the Volvo XC40 - I have to sacrifice some driving pleasure to have a more well rounded car.

In the exact same situation, I drive a Tiguan diesel at present and want to upgrade. My main requirement however is comfort and I just saw the new 2022 Citroen C5 aircross and man that looks absolutely beautiful. Has all the bells and whistles required except AWD/4x4 but for that I would prefer genuine 4x4 with low ratio gearbox. Even though Citroen has very low sales, but with the C3 launch that should increase including their service centers. Waiting for them to launch it in India soon. If you can wait, it should be a good option. By the way have you tried the outgoing C5 aircross, I dont like the way it looks right now, but the new model is beautiful.
sreejinair is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 21:03   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
I just saw the new 2022 Citroen C5 aircross and man that looks absolutely beautiful. Has all the bells and whistles required except AWD/4x4 but for that I would prefer genuine 4x4 with low ratio gearbox. Even though Citroen has very low sales, but with the C3 launch that should increase including their service centers. Waiting for them to launch it in India soon. If you can wait, it should be a good option. By the way have you tried the outgoing C5 aircross, I dont like the way it looks right now, but the new model is beautiful.
The current C5 Aircross is definitely a looker but it is missing out so many expected creature comforts at its current price point - no powered passenger seat, basic ICE and virtual cockpit, average music system, no 360* camera, no ventilated seats, no wireless Apple Carplay and no proper ambient lighting. No doubt the new 2022 C5 Aircross looks much better but if the current Aircross is not selling I see no incentive for Citroen to rush the new one to our market.

At the end of the day, as we start approaching the 40L+ segment that this Kodiaq and the current C5 Aircross are in - people are going to start thinking about stretching to the established luxury brands. For example the XC40 can be had for just 6-7L more than the Kodiaq L&K (~15% increase). Why pay for just 70-80% luxury when you are already in that ball park.
solaris007 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 21:03   #320
BHPian

Looks like some concerns on power and many on mileage from the recent test drives. And diverse views on DCC too. Hope to see team-bhp test drive results soon covering all aspects.

Another observation is that many folks who need 5 seaters are considering kodiaq. With prices increasing, I am getting a feeling that many would stick to tiguan and other options
motorhead5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 22:45   #321
BHPian

This is my first post, thanks to Team-BHP to have accepted my registration
On Thursday, I got an opportunity to test drive Kodiaq and Tiguan back to back. Going against the wave, I know many fans here have been waiting on Kodiaq since 2 years, like me. Must say that I was underwhelmed by Kodiaq after the long wait, and by no means was I overwhelmed by Tiguan.

For attributes that matters to me, my comparison below;

My reasons for Kodiaq over Tiguan
Styling – Love the way Kodiaq looks. It’s a head turner period! Tiguan doesn’t stand a chance on the looks compared to its big and handsome cousin.
Comfort – Ventilated seats (I can live without it), power nap package (comes really handy in those long drives), Wireless Apple Car play and Android Auto (I really want this feature in my next car), Wireless charger (no body likes wired charging in cars), electric front passenger seat adjustment (not important for me). All these features exists in Kodiaq and not in Tiguan which makes Kodiaq easier to live with. I’m really upset with VW to not have offered the same (at least wireless charger and wireless Apple car play). Also to note, under thigh support is better in Kodiaq.
Dashboard Layout – Found the one of Kodiaq better. It looks luxurious compared to Tiguan’s very bland styling.

My reasons for Tiguan over Kodiaq
Driving experience– Same in Tiguan for Rupees 9lacs less. I test drove for approx. 20 kms on the same stretch of road with the mix of city traffic and clear highway, I could not tell the difference. I have seen many posts describing the suspension of Tiguan to be bone jarring, I would not agree to that. Though in city, Kodiaq felt a tad softer, but the Tiguan’s is just fine. Missus and I couldn’t tell the difference with 3 settings of adaptive suspension. They were at the back seat.
Mileage – Same driving style, same stretch of road, similar traffic. At the end, Kodiaq was at 5.8 and Tiguan 9.5. Wonder why.
Infotainment – I found Kodiaq infotainment to be very slow to respond. Tiguan’s infotainment was faster to the touch and felt slick. I felt the infotainment of Kodiaq is one generation before (cannot validate). I agree with others who have pointed out that the 8 inch screen looks really tiny in Kodiaq, it really does. Still tiny for Tiguan, but because of the dashboard layout, doesn’t bother me.
Digital instrument cluster – Even though size of the cluster between the two cousins are same, Tiguan’s cluster looked sophisticated while Kodiaq’s looked funky, like the one in Taigun with the bigger screen. I also found Tiguan one’s to be more user friendly.
Rear seat comfort – I will never use the last row of Kodiaq. I feel Kodiaq’s rear seat is compromised slightly to accommodate 6th & 7th seat. Tiguan’s rear seat felt more spacious for both legroom and headroom. Also, I really liked to be able to fold the front passenger seat backrest. My usual long distance drive set up with my wife and kid at the back, this feature will make it very airy for them, though not sure if it will compromise the safety. Will look for it.
Headlights – One is Tiguan looks better. Also since Tiguan’s matrix lights is more advanced than the adaptive LEDs of Kodiaq, should work better. Could not test it as my drive was in the afternoon.
Interior Color – Living in a sea of beige for last decade, anything but beige will do. Kodiaq could have scored here if they offered brown OR black in the L&K variant. I’m not up for the sport seats at my age.

Kodiaq and Tiguan on par
Speakers - I am a music fanatic, though not audiophile, I like it bass heavy. I really thought the 8 speakers of Tiguan will not stand a chance, but both did really well. I mean it. Canton fans – please excuse my ignorance. I tested speakers for at least 10 min in both cars playing various genres.

My take
I really wanted to love the Kodiaq, and I think I do, but my mind cannot get over the fact that, I will have to pay 9lacs more than Tiguan. In Bombay, Tiguan on-road is 38.3, Kodiaq with its price hike will be around 47. With that said, I’m leaning towards Tiguan, but the decision is still not final. I can see why Kodiaq is a hit, when the exterior styling is so handsome, you overlook everything else, but for me, it does not justify the premium.
Talking about the price hike, I think it was very shameful for Skoda to have hiked the prices effective Day 3. C’mon Skoda – this is unethical. Skoda could have opened pre-booking for a week at least and called it an “introductory price” only during that week. Nor Skoda is coming out in the media to announce the same. Ad to top it up, their sales force are equally embarrassed about it and don’t agree with this move.
Jangra is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 09:50   #322
BHPian

Quote:
The current C5 Aircross is definitely a looker but it is missing out so many expected creature comforts at its current price point - no powered passenger seat, basic ICE and virtual cockpit, average music system, no 360* camera, no ventilated seats, no wireless Apple Carplay and no proper ambient lighting. No doubt the new 2022 C5 Aircross looks much better but if the current Aircross is not selling I see no incentive for Citroen to rush the new one to our market.

At the end of the day, as we start approaching the 40L+ segment that this Kodiaq and the current C5 Aircross are in - people are going to start thinking about stretching to the established luxury brands. For example the XC40 can be had for just 6-7L more than the Kodiaq L&K (~15% increase). Why pay for just 70-80% luxury when you are already in that ball park.
You are pretty right. These prices definitely go close to Volvo XC40 and open class up options for buyers. Based on test drive feedbacks of honorable members Kodiaq seems a bit hyped for what is is offering?

Cheers
Old 16th January 2022, 12:15   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangra View Post
Mileage – Same driving style, same stretch of road, similar traffic. At the end, Kodiaq was at 5.8 and Tiguan 9.5. Wonder why.
Really surprised to see your finding on the major difference in mileage when both has the same engine and transmission. Could it be because the kodiaq you drove is a very new one?

Quote:
In Bombay, Tiguan on-road is 38.3, Kodiaq with its price hike will be around 47. With that said, I’m leaning towards Tiguan, but the decision is still not final. I can see why Kodiaq is a hit, when the exterior styling is so handsome, you overlook everything else, but for me, it does not justify the premium.
That's what I am also thinking now. Such a premium is not worth it when the practical difference is the+2 seats and mechanics are fully same.

Quote:
Talking about the price hike, I think it was very shameful for Skoda to have hiked the prices effective Day 3. C’mon Skoda – this is unethical.
I am a big supporter of Skoda. But this move is bad and personally I lost a bit of trust on them. They should have planned it better and shouldn't have been opportunistic
Old 16th January 2022, 12:49   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
Really surprised to see your finding on the major difference in mileage when both has the same engine and transmission. Could it be because the kodiaq you drove is a very new one?
I too was a bit surprised. My drive was 50% spirited and the rest sedate. Both the car's trip meter was reset at the start of the test drive, so it was a like to like compare.

Yes, Kodiaq was brand new. Sales person quoted that I was the 4th person taking the test drive. But I'm not sure if that has an impact to mileage.
Jangra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 13:29   #325
BHPian

Quote:
This is definitely very interesting and surprising. If I had to benchmark the Tiguan and Kodiaq with the Octavia (which has been around a little bit longer) and run some quick unscientific numbers in terms of mileage:

*Octavia (FWD - kerb weight 1459 kg): The general consensus with mixed driving from users on this forum is around 10 - 12 kmpl. I am going to use this as the benchmark for now
*Tiguan (AWD - kerb weight 1703 kg): 15% increase in weight from Octavia implies a reduction of mileage to 8.5 - 10 kmpl. Add in AWD and maybe you will see 7.5 - 9 kmpl
*Kodiaq (AWD - kerb weight 1779 kg): 18% increase in weight - reduction of mileage to 8 - 9.5 kmpl. Add in AWD and maybe you will see 7 - 8.5 kmpl

So we have Octavia : Tiguan : Kodiaq :: 10 kmpl : 7.5 kmpl : 7 kmpl

However, counterintuitively the brochures actually say the Tiguan has the worst mileage (although the above ratio holds to an extent):

Octavia : Tiguan : Kodiaq :: 15.81 kmpl : 12.65 kmpl : 12.78 kmpl

Finally, if I had to explain why the Tiguan performed so much better than the Kodiaq I would chalk it up to either:
*Presence of ACT (Active Cylinder Technology) in the Tiguan that is not absent in the Kodiaq
*Kodiaq being a much newer car that has not going through the same engine burn in period
solaris007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 00:32   #326
BHPian

Quote:
*Kodiaq being a much newer car that has not going through the same engine burn in period
I hope it is that, else at this mileage in city, it will be a very expensive car to live with.
My request to the BHPians and official reviewers to please review this specific attribute, especially for the test drives of greater than 10kms, as I feel any less than that is not a true perspective.
Old 17th January 2022, 00:40   #327
BHPian

When Tata introduced Safari petrol I used to wonder why on earth would people buy such a heavy car in petrol variant. Now looks like history repeats.
With 5.8 on a mumbai drive, what would it become on a traffic city drive?
Shivam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 01:49   #328
BHPian

Quote:
I hope it is that, else at this mileage in city, it will be a very expensive car to live with.
My request to the BHPians and official reviewers to please review this specific attribute, especially for the test drives of greater than 10kms, as I feel any less than that is not a true perspective.
I just remembered that the old Tiguan AllSpace had very similar specs (weight, engine, 4-motion etc.) and going through the old threads folks here were getting 8.5 - 10kmpl which is not too bad. There were a few cases where using premium fuel and eco mode gave 11.5+ kmpl consistently. So, all is not terrible.

Also, Jangra we seem to be in the same boat - considering the same cars. I am actually growing partial to the Sportline variant day by day now - hoping it shows up in the showroom soon. While the entry level german SUVs are not too far away, I have already stretched so much from the Kia Sonet . Besides, I have started realising that entry level luxury is not really true luxury - you always have to go one step higher to experience it (GLC, X3, XC 60).
solaris007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 07:13   #329
Distinguished - BHPian

Would be very surprised if the Kodiaq’s mileage is actually that much worse than the Tiguan’s. My Tiguan Allspace has given an average mileage of about 7.6 kmpl over 9000 km and it is mainly used for very short runs to some of the most crowded parts of Bombay. We have seen things like 5 - but only on runs where the car is mainly stationary with the AC on.

Of course, it is important to keep the luggage compartment cover closed, if you leave it open, you are cooling a much larger volume than needed.
Hayek is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 07:41   #330
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
it is mainly used for very short runs to some of the most crowded parts of Bombay.

Of course, it is important to keep the luggage compartment cover closed, if you leave it open, you are cooling a much larger volume than needed.
Hi.

Traffic & DSG:
Given your travel routes, and since this car (I presume) is generously chauffeur driven too - how do you get comfort with DSG which notoriously doesn’t like heavy stop / go traffic conditions. Is your driver just well trained now to put it into neutral or something like that to baby the DSG?

Luggage tray:
Such an obvious one but it never occurred to me btw. The impact on cooling. My rear tray in the GT is almost permanently out because I constantly toggle with large items but good reminder to keep it in place when I can.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks