Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2022, 10:14   #121
BHPian

Re: 2022 Skoda Kushaq & VW Taigun lose electric folding mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBeeR View Post
Interesting. A retrofit hasn't been ruled out yet. Whether it will be done at our cost or Skoda's isn't known.
Looks like meat's (kushaq) back on the menu, boys
Old 29th January 2022, 17:08   #122
Senior - BHPian

So Skoda is in damage control mode and seems to be dousing the fire.
Attached Thumbnails
2022 Skoda Kushaq & VW Taigun lose electric folding mirrors-img20220129wa0054.jpg  

2022 Skoda Kushaq & VW Taigun lose electric folding mirrors-img20220129wa0048.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 29th January 2022 at 17:11.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 16:43   #123
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey1986 View Post
I am in the same boat but then the options are too too bleak. Hyundai/ Kia are not something of my liking due to their built quality. Also in my opinion long term confidence and engine power are somethings which an individual enjoy the most at least for me as I have been driving bare minimum Ecosport 1.5tdci diesel since 2013(ambiente).
What I don’t like here is that Škoda /VW aren’t being customer centric here. They aren’t saying that due to shortage we can’t you this feature and hence, we have decreased the price for now or we will provide retrofits later on. I mean this is how you build trust with people.
They actually did. I read an article where Zac Hollis did mention it can be retrofitted once available in the future

Edit: Damn, didn't notice the earlier messages on the thread. So here you go, the price of the foldable feature has been offset.

Last edited by amey027 : 30th January 2022 at 16:49.
amey027 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 16:56   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossilpastprime View Post
Still unclear if the retro fit would be at customer's cost or free as a goodwill gesture from Skoda
1. They are discounting INR 20k since the feature is missing
2. At a later stage, when the chip shortage is no more an issue, you can retrofit the auto folding mirrors by paying the discounted 20k

To me, this seems a fair deal. It's on you whether you want to spend that money considering it was anyway discounted earlier.
amey027 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 20:16   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
So, as per the screenshot, the 20K discount is going to be on the Style variant only. Why not on the Ambition variant? The auto-fold ORVMs have been removed from the Ambition variant too. I don't get it.
ladha.deepak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 10:18   #126

The issue here is that this is a necessary feature. Necessary from a couple of perspectives.

To some it is more like an insurance, especially people who are moving from a smaller vehicle. They anticipate that they may need a feature like this given the bigger dimensions and a possible situation where they have to use this feature to squeeze into/through some space.

There would be a few more who actually experience a situation like this day in and day out.

Skoda's attempt to douse the fire would help, to some extent, the decision making of the first group. The problem still remains for the second group. But anyway, with a decision like this, at least it is a way forward to resolve the issue.

I shall watch with excitement, what they are doing to the Slavia, right from it's launch.
Old 31st January 2022, 10:36   #127
BHPian

One of the reason is probably they noticed that this missing automatic ORVM is being discussed widely. If this issue wasn't in the limelight I doubt Skoda would have given the discount.

And, just imagine to what length the missing features are got in front of the audience. There could be other features too, is the customer actually going to drill down to this level and compare and then raise a voice? Skoda as a brand is in to Luxury car making, however, not in India I guess. Their motto seems different for the Indian audience!
EshanS is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 10:38   #128
BHPian

This is one company that shoots itself in foot, then tries to correct it, behaving as if it is doing something heroic.

EPC, launch with no 6 airbags in top auto, deletion of auto folding mirrors: very similar pattern. Maybe even add roofline quality in same.
Sidban85 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 11:42   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Discount is available on Style model only. I guess then others can pay 20k and get it as an accessory?

Although I really appreciate the way Skoda is hearing concerns and coming up with solution, why not clarify these while announcing feature deletion itself?
prajwalmr62 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 12:17   #130
Senior - BHPian

So if a feature is deleted now citing chip storage and then will be retrofitted later for an extra 20k does it mean that the retrofit will include an additional chip or BCM? It will be interesting to know this given that I have hardly heard of any manufacturer in India provide features by swapping chips.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 12:31   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post
IMO, Skoda can go down the following route
1. Give a discount proportionate to the amount it will cost to retrofit the folding mirrors (at the dealership; not an FNG)
2. Keep all the cheaper components like the wiring harness in place so that it makes #1 easy/easier. The BCM may need some recoding to 'learn' about these features once they are installed later.
Quote:
Looks like someone @ Skoda read my musings with seriousness
This is the right thing to do. #PowerOfSocialMedia
kedar_GT is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 12:43   #132
BHPian

This should be a lesson learnt for all Auto manufacturers who takes Indian customers for granted. A cheap tactic which got backfired to Skoda here. In the name of chip shortage or something else, every manufacturer is leveraging the opportunity and deleting features or increase the price after just 2 days of new launch (looking at you Mr. Kodiaq)
Kashi053 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 13:04   #133
BHPian

(Emphasis in the quotes below were added by me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM1706 View Post
will miss the Electrically Adjustable ORVMs due to the ongoing chip shortage
Quote:
Originally Posted by varkey View Post
SA from EVM Skoda Kochi, and when asked whether there are any feature removals, he meantioned that Auto Folding ORVM _might_ be removed, but he doesn't have the full details yet apparently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by varkey View Post
And its confirmed, it says "Manually foldable external mirrors - body coloured" for all variants now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid3091 View Post
the mirrors will fold at the push of a button, but won't close/open automatically when you lock or unlock the car with the key.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBeeR View Post
I can live with auto fold deletion, but my SA and couple of others have confirmed that the entire electric foldable mirrors functionality is removed and we have to manually fold/unfold mirrors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus corax View Post
My understanding is that the Kushaq's ORVMs are only losing the 'auto-folding' function, which to my knowledge is the mirrors getting folded automatically when the car is turned off and getting unfolded when turned on. It still retains the electric folding capability. Correct me if I am wrong.

(I can quote plenty more posts from this thread).

I think there's a lack of clarity here. Different members here are talking about the deletion of different things. Some are talking about electric folding mirrors, and some are talking about auto-folding mirrors.

These are two distinct features:
  1. Electrically folding mirror. You push a button, and the mirror folds/unfolds. I consider this a semi-automatic mirror.
  2. Automatic folding mirror. You lock the car, and the mirror folds, and vice-versa when unlocking the car. You do not have to push any button at all. In a sane world, auto-folding mirrors should have electrically-folding mirror as a prerequisite.
On some cars, like my old Optra, there was the electric folding mirror without automatic folding. There was a button to make it fold or unfold, but you had to press it everytime. It wouldn't do the folding or unfolding automatically.

On some other cars, there's automatic folding mirrors. Mirror folds automatically on locking the car, and unfolds automatically on unlocking the car. No button pressing needed.

So, which of those features were deleted from the Kushaq and Taigun? From the posts it seems to me that there's no electric folding at all and you'll have to manually physically push or pull the mirror with your hand. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitkel View Post
Such stupid moves along with a lack of clarity will put the final nail in the coffin for the Kushaq. The sales are already low with discounts being offered freely, and now this cheap move. They can blame external factors only for a limited time to cover-up for their incompetence!
Oh don't be so dramatic! The chip shortage problem is so bad, there's not even enough chips to manufacture machines that make chips.

Manufacturers across the world (in different industries) are scrambling for this now extremely precious resource and are forced to make compromises, like delaying production or as in this case deleting features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossilpastprime View Post
The issue here is that this is a necessary feature. Necessary from a couple of perspectives.
My daily-driving poverty-spec Honda City has manual mirrors. My office parking is tight, so it's necessary that I fold the mirrors once parked to be on the safer side. Manually folding and unfolding them everyday has turned out to be annoying even though it takes barely any effort. Auto-folding (or at least electric-folding) is one of those convenience features that I wish I had.

Last edited by voldemort : 31st January 2022 at 13:08.
voldemort is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 21:35   #134
Senior - BHPian

Zac Hollis clarification on the final cost of retrofittng the ORVMs and discount on MY2022 Kushaq models.

2022 Skoda Kushaq & VW Taigun lose electric folding mirrors-smartselect_20220131213251_twitter.jpg

Last edited by Venkatesh : 31st January 2022 at 21:45.
Venkatesh is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 08:50   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Zac Hollis clarification on the final cost of retrofittng the ORVMs and discount on MY2022 Kushaq models.
Good to see this from Skoda! Only hope that they are more proactive rather than reactive in the future, and make customer-oriented decisions.
nitkel is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks