Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2007, 22:11   #46
Senior - BHPian

I have seen plently of cars with Navy and Airforce written on them.

Maybe most Navy people are off to the merchant Navy and air force people become pilots.
Old 20th June 2007, 23:39   #47
Senior - BHPian

I have seen my uncle play a different game. His car (Matiz) is not marked, whenever a khaki or for that matter anyone of that sort try to play a mischeif, he lets them play to their best and brings his I card out at the last moment at which time these guys faces are to be seen to beleive (He easily gets access to their Identity cards after that).

Moral of the story, people who really have and respect the previlege, do not need to advertise it.
Old 21st June 2007, 01:30   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
But who needs a lawyer or a defence personnel, press or police? They simply flaunt their association to gain privilege.
err... they don't have to 'flaunt' anything to gain 'privilege'. If it is a genuine army personel, those privileges are job perks. Afterall, how many of us can claim 'dying at 25,000 ft to stray bullet from across the border' as a work place hazard?
I for one would be very proud to display an official army sticker on my car, if there ever is one, as a mark of respect to the people serving the country. The sticker in itself would not give you any special privileges.

Quote:
Interestingly I've never seen any private car displaying Navy or Air-force. It is only the Army guys who do this. Any particular reason why so?
May be because the army has a million employees while the Navy and Airforce put togather have only around 100,000?
Old 21st June 2007, 07:48   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Moral of the story, people who really have and respect the previlege, do not need to advertise it.
, Can't be a better way to put it...

Abhi
Old 12th February 2008, 13:03   #50
PVS
BHPian

Apart from the 'ARMY' stickers on vehicles, I also find many people in Hyderabad sticking 'PRESS' stickers on their vehicles. In fact, when I went to get the front number plate of my bike repainted, the guy asked if I would like to get a 'PRESS' sticker on my bike as well!
Old 12th February 2008, 13:57   #51
Senior - BHPian

I guess Sumit was talking about those huge red colored stickers "ARMY" on the wind sheilds of the cars. The army would never display a sticker that huge. Just by looking at the vehicle you will know its an army vehicle.

These stickers are made just like the many other stickers are (PRESS, POLICE etc) for fun and maybe get awat scot free after jumping a signal or any such offense.
Old 12th February 2008, 14:08   #52
Senior - BHPian

Its bad

How many vehicles i.e. private vehicles marked Police, Army, Doctor, Lawyer stop beside a road side accident to help out the matter.
NONE.

The vehicles with "press" stops for news.

I feel that the good deeds of the institution should earn them enough respect and those who are really good at heart for this nation dont have to SHOW OFF the forces they belong to.
Old 12th February 2008, 14:11   #53
BHPian

NC is right. I was referring to those ARMY stickers which generally people put to show-off. Any idiot will know of a geniune Army vehicle just by looking at it. These stickers are out to intimidate a person. That's about it. Nothing more.
Old 12th February 2008, 22:11   #54
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine,posted in Chabua as a Flying Officer,was telling me that the Govt. had (at one point) introduced a rule that allowed only Armed Forces personnel to have the ARMY/NAVY/AIR FORCE stickers on their cars/vans/bikes. I'm not sure if its in effect anymore,but if a traffic cop stops such a car,and the occupant does not show proof of employment with any of the armed forces,they can be booked and the vehicle can be impounded.
Old 12th February 2008, 22:25   #55
Senior - BHPian

We have a Safari at our office (Software Co) with a nice ARMY sticker. HR must have recruited a passing army man from the nearby Dehu road Cantonment
Old 12th February 2008, 22:30   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
A friend of mine,posted in Chabua as a Flying Officer,was telling me that the Govt. had (at one point) introduced a rule that allowed only Armed Forces personnel to have the ARMY/NAVY/AIR FORCE stickers on their cars/vans/bikes. I'm not sure if its in effect anymore,but if a traffic cop stops such a car,and the occupant does not show proof of employment with any of the armed forces,they can be booked and the vehicle can be impounded.
That's a good rule in theory. But the reality is, not too many policemen will have the testicular fortitude to stop a car with ARMY written on it, let alone question its occupants.
I think that our defence personell deserve some perks after putting their lives on the line for us. And I also think it's prety sickening that some civilans put up such stickers on their cars to get away with traffic violations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
Apart from that, there is also a trend of putting stickers of Universities on the windshield/rear window...

Quite often I see..... Oxford University, Stanford University, Illinois University, IIT-Bombay and so on....
You would see "Virginia Tech" stickers on both my cars It's just a matter of a small display of your pride for your alma mater. I don't see anything wrong with that. We're not trying to get away with breaking laws and no, we're not trying to show off.
Old 12th February 2008, 22:36   #57
Senior - BHPian

i think those police/army/press are to convey a message "dont mess up with me".
in Lucknow there are tons of politicians. they have equal multiples of family members. further there are multiples of their relatives friends etc blah blah.
so the thumb rule is if the TOP person i.e the politician has a RED light, whether authorized or unauthorized, then all their multiples gladly put those red lights and sirens on their cars and even bikes and merrily race through the traffics. they dont have to follow any signals or one ways.
Old 12th February 2008, 22:38   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Yes, they will be fined and maybe even impounded, but I doubt cops would stop such a vehicle unless they are really sure the kid on the bike is not a javan.

All vehicles with ARMY stickers are not Non-army. Meaning, these are personal vehicles of the army personnel. They stick ARMY on it so that they are not stopped by local cops.

The most defining sticker I have seen on 2 different bikes has been, in small red font, which needs to be really read twice to be confirmed..

It read - "POLITE". Pretty smart I would think.
Old 12th February 2008, 22:48   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
All vehicles with ARMY stickers are not Non-army. Meaning, these are personal vehicles of the army personnel. They stick ARMY on it so that they are not stopped by local cops.
Another reason why personal vehicles have these stickers,is so that the car/bike is identified easily when the car enters an army base.

I have personally experienced this. MY F-I-L's M800 has ARMY written on it. It has license plates from Rajasthan,and I have driven the car into the ASC Center near Airport Rd a few times,to access the canteen facilties. Of course,my FIL was with me in the car,but no questions were asked.

My dad,driving his Verna right behind us,was stopped.We had to tell the sentry that we'r together,and then my dad got through the gates.

I agree that the rule is good,but is not put into use. Well,every rule gets thrown around a lot,before it comes into effect.
Old 12th February 2008, 23:09   #60
Senior - BHPian

I am going to buy a used MM540 as soon as I can and stick "AMY" in big red font and see what our moronic cops would do.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks