Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2007, 21:05   #1
BHPian

ARMY sticker behind some cars/bikes

I was wondering that a few people with connections in the armed forces have 'ARMY' prominently displayed on their bikes/cars

What do these people intend to convey? Even though they may be in the armed forces, the vehicles are generally privately owned!
Old 19th June 2007, 01:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Maybe they want the right of way just like a sick politician, all politicians are sick.
Old 19th June 2007, 02:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

come on, if someone proudly wants to display his association with an entity, let's just accept it.

i recently saw "i am an HR professional" on somebody's T shirt. who would want to display that.
vivekiny2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2007, 02:48   #4
BHPian

Its a sign of patriotism.

I have seen it all over the world during my travelling, common.

As you know we Indians copy everything we see on Cable TV etc. so may be people are learning something new these days.

(not sure if other Indians are really patriotic about their country or environment. Religion/caste seems to be more important)
Old 19th June 2007, 05:33   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Maybe they want the right of way just like a sick politician, all politicians are sick.
cant but agree with you and I've seen almost all cops in Calcutta who owns a two wheeler(of any kind) has to have "K.P." (which means "Kokata Police") written on them....stupid
Old 19th June 2007, 06:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

well, wht i heard was that one is not allowd to display either their affiliation ( army / navy / air force) or their regiment on their vehicles. people do it cause defence officers and central govt emp are allowed to pay yearly MV tax, hence many of them are of different state registrations - due to transferes, hence to let the cops identify the vehicle & NOT catch them for out of state registration.
madan80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2007, 08:24   #7
BHPian

Its their car/bike. Some people post those crazy Ferrari stickers on a 800. Nobody says anything. Now if these guys are doing what's wrong if they want? And how do we know that those people are NOT patriotic and are just doing it for the show? Why are we so keen on judging people?
Old 19th June 2007, 09:03   #8
BANNED

Why is nobody complaining about lawyers, doctors, highbrow club members, etc sticking their logos?
Old 19th June 2007, 09:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
well, wht i heard was that one is not allowd to display either their affiliation ( army / navy / air force) or their regiment on their vehicles. people do it cause defence officers and central govt emp are allowed to pay yearly MV tax, hence many of them are of different state registrations - due to transferes, hence to let the cops identify the vehicle & NOT catch them for out of state registration.

That is correct. My dad is an ex-Army officer and he has a red 'ARMY' sticker on his Tatamobile - which was there before he retired. Not taken it out ... Somehow, cops don't harass him that much.

P.S. Somehow I find POLICE and PRESS to be more ubiquitous.
Old 19th June 2007, 09:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

In chennai, bikers would put POLITE on their number plates to confuse the cops.
Old 19th June 2007, 09:30   #11
BHPian

I dont think it has anything to do with showing affiliation really. Its a message that I am here to bully you in case you mess up with me. I reside in Delhi and see half a dozen private owned car daily which have Half Red/Half Blue symbol of Delhi Police on them. I think these guys should be challaned and will generate good revenue for the govt.
Old 19th June 2007, 09:32   #12
BHPian

If Lawyers & Doctors can have their respective profession related stickers on their car , then I dont see why defence people cant.
I can understand doctors having it on thier cars since they need right of way at times!.
Old 19th June 2007, 09:37   #13
BHPian

Probably because of 2 reasons in Bangalore :
1. The state is very strict on collecting LIFE TIME road tax on the out state registrations. Army and Centre govt employees are exemted from this rule. However I wonder why they display ARMY and not any gate pass stickers and how genuine is this ARMY stuff...anyone can do that. My friend stuck any ARMY sticker on her car to avoid the road tax, excuse - her uncle is in the force in N India
2. To avoid harrasement of the Cops. They believe that cops are scared of Army guys, wonder hom much thats true...and why should they be?
Old 19th June 2007, 09:40   #14
BHPian

From my experience, the word ARMY is generally used to create a cloud and sort of warn people not to take panga with them.
Old 19th June 2007, 09:51   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashvk View Post
They believe that cops are scared of Army guys, wonder hom much thats true...and why should they be?
Cops in Bangalore: Well, they are scared of BMTC-Drivers, Taxiwalas, Autowalas, Sand-lorry drivers... So, I wouldn't be surprised if they are scared of Army guys too!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks