Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2022, 10:20   #1
BHPian

My brand-new Jeep Compass breaks down twice in a week after delivery | EDIT: Now back home

I write this with the utmost regret, horror and, for a better lack of word, disgust. This is the second weekend I'm without the jeep in the first week of ownership.

You read it right, the second time in the first week of owning the car, it has been towed away.

I took delivery of my brand new Jeep Compass S 4×4 Diesel AT (top-end variant costing Rs. 35.50 Lakh OTR) on 8th July from Landmark Jeep, WORLI and the odo reading at the time of delivery was 87 km.

Incident one -

The next day, when driving to Pune and when the odo was at 177 km, the vehicle started jerking, and the instrument cluster started flashing, “SERVICE TRANSMISSION”.

The vehicle’s transmission oil was found leaking. I stopped the vehicle immediately and called the SA from the dealership that had delivered the car on the previous day. Together we called the company’s MOPAR 24-hour RSA, who refused any help as the vehicle broke down within 48 hours of delivery and RSA wasn’t activated yet.

I was stuck there for hours with only my two kids (7 Year old's) with me in the rain.
I will never forgive and forget this.

Finally, after looking around with local contacts for 4 hours, I arranged a flatbed on my own and got the vehicle sent to Landmark Jeep, Thane. The company didn’t check the car that day because it was a Saturday evening, and then the next day, the service centre was shut because it was a Sunday, and the vehicle was inspected only on Monday.

Upon inspection, it was found that the transmission oil was leaking from a loose pipe, and it is a bit surprising that such an important part was missed during the vehicle’s PDI. This was unacceptable.

The part was rectified, and the vehicle was delivered after that. After persuasion, the vehicle’s warranty was extended from 3 years/1 lakh km to 5 years/1.5 lakh km free of charge. All was good for a couple of days, but the vehicle broke down again on the 15th of July.

Incident two-

After a tiring day at work, the car was driven usually from Powai to Bandra. At Bandra, after getting down to pick up groceries; the car wouldn't start. After contacting the team, I was told to switch off and start after half hour. After a tiring work day, I waited one hour and started. Again same issue.

A tow truck had to be called; this time, the RSA came. Again I had to go and hand over the keys.

My cousin, who was to go to the airport, was told to leave by Uber, and her mom asked me, "Where is your New Car."
I had no answer. My one-week-old vehicle has spent more time at the service centre than with me.

I cursed the day I decided to go for a JEEP vehicle—one of my biggest regrets in life. It has caused me mental stress, sleepless nights and 35 lakhs 50,000 Rupees of my hard-earned money. More than anything, it has had me questioning my biggest passion in life, Driving. My stickers of "Live To Drive" and phone covers " Driving = Meditation" are two of my biggest Mantras in Life.

Waiting for some resolution on a Sunday morning after having not slept, knowing that even today's workshop is shut, nothing will be done.

The support and encouragement I have received from my fellow members and friends have been phenomenal and kept me going through this ordeal. Many close friends have done whatever they could to escalate the matter to the highest level, and I'm forever grateful. Bhpian StrangeWizard has been kind enough to publish the article attached below.

https://www.motorbeam.com/brand-new-...fter-delivery/

My confidence in the vehicle is at a low. I have driven multiple brands for over 25 years and have never had to face something like this.

JEEP, don't make me hate what I love doing most!
Attached Thumbnails
My brand-new Jeep Compass breaks down twice in a week after delivery | EDIT: Now back home-whatsapp-image-20220715-11.29.21-am.jpeg  

My brand-new Jeep Compass breaks down twice in a week after delivery | EDIT: Now back home-whatsapp-image-20220715-11.28.27-am.jpeg  

My brand-new Jeep Compass breaks down twice in a week after delivery | EDIT: Now back home-transmission-oil-colar-pipe-not-fix.jpeg  

My brand-new Jeep Compass breaks down twice in a week after delivery | EDIT: Now back home-photo1657960735.jpeg  

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th July 2022 at 11:05. Reason: Minor formatting edits. Corrected link as well.
vinitbhavi is offline   (248) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 10:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: My brand-new Jeep Compass breaks down twice in a week after delivery | EDIT: Now back home

This is horrendous. Absolutely callous attitude of Jeep by not helping Vinit ; A brand new vehicle with less than 500 kms on the ODO, cannot simply just break down. Speaks a lot about QC of Jeep. For that matter, the whole Stellantis group now.

I feel the easy solution for Jeep is, to take this Compass back and reimburse Vinit the money or compensate him with a brand new Jeep.

We are with you brother. More power to you!
amtak is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 10:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: My brand-new Jeep Compass breaks down twice in a week after delivery | EDIT: Now back home

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
I write this with the utmost regret, horror and, for a better lack of word, disgust.
It is extremely disheartening having read your ordeal. The Compass being one of the cars being shortlisted by myself(from the same Bombay, Worli showroom going by one of your pictures) makes it that much more worrying.
There was another individual in the official JC thread here on team bhp who had a complete breakdown (Jeep Compass : Official Review) as well, his was a electronics issue.
Makes me wonder if the Jeep Compass isn't as reliable as I once thought it was vis-a-vis it's immediate german sedan competitor.

Quote:
Bhpian StrangeWizard has been kind enough to publish the article attached below.

https://https://www.motorbeam.com/br...fter-delivery/

I have corrected the link for you:
https://www.motorbeam.com/brand-new-...fter-delivery/
Maky is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 10:44   #4
BHPian

Absolutely horrible. I was almost on the verge of finalising a new car with jeep being the rop runner. My budget was getting stretched but now after reading this i am having second thoughts.

Absolutely pathetic customer service and respect for a new customer plonking his hard earned money

Shame on you Jeep...
mentalmaxout is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 10:51   #5
BHPian

Absolutely appalling and heartbreaking to read.
No help by MOPAR's RSA is
Looks like will have to ask my brother who has finalised the Compass to look elsewhere now, can't risk 35 big ones!
This is simply not done!

Hoping Jeep addresses this ASAP and returns the money, this is indeed a lemon.
driveanddrive is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 10:52   #6
BHPian

Firstly, I’m very sorry to hear this Vinit and may this nightmare end on a good note for you soon.

It is absolutely appalling to see the attitude which really boils our blood and we’re not talking about a few lakhs here. It’s a premium segment car where Jeep ASC should handle the customer with care instead they’re not even meeting the minimum standards.

Product sold = Mission accomplished. After sales, what’s that? RSA not active inspite of delivering the car is such lame excuse.

Sunday we don’t work. Whatt!!! Jeep ASC has lost it.

FCA, go get some lessons from Maruti guys on customer experience inspite of handling such volume of cars.

IMHO Vinit, if I was you, I’d take the full refund and walk away and get another car from another brand. Once the trust is lost, you can never rebuild that.

Cheers,
Amey

Last edited by Amey Kulkarni : 17th July 2022 at 11:20.
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 10:55   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The vehicle’s transmission oil was found leaking. I stopped the vehicle immediately and called the SA from the dealership that had delivered the car on the previous day. Together we called the company’s MOPAR 24-hour RSA, who refused any help as the vehicle broke down within 48 hours of delivery and RSA wasn’t activated yet.
Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Ideally, the dealership should have sorted internally with RSA and arranged your pickup. They should have sent you another car and taken care of yours. Such small gestures go a long way to keeping trust in the brand and the dealership. Things can fail but how you handle them is most important. With most cars being sold at zero discounts, I wonder why dealerships can't even do basic support, even if it means spending from their own pocket?

Quote:
Upon inspection, it was found that the transmission oil was leaking from a loose pipe, and it is a bit surprising that such an important part was missed during the vehicle’s PDI
I won't fault the dealer here as PDI is to make sure that the car is delivered in the same condition that was initially built in the factory. And attend to any service bulletins or any specific VIN-based lookouts. Beyond that, dealers can't do anything. They are not QC inspectors for the manufacturer.

Quote:
Waiting for some resolution on a Sunday morning after having not slept, knowing that even today's workshop is shut, nothing will be done.
Once again, the dealership could have done better. They could have asked a mechanic to look into this today, and only if some parts were to be replaced, they should have pushed it to Monday. I understand that the stores may not be open, but at least identifying the fault would have given you comfort. Your second failure may or may not be linked at all. It can be as small as a loose battery connection from previous repairs.

Please keep us posted on the identified problem, which will help other potential customers.

I hope your troubles are sorted soon

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th July 2022 at 11:03.
Turbanator is online now   (61) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 11:08   #8
BHPian

Pains me to read this extremely unfortunate misadventure of yours with FCA.

I sincerely hope the company replaces your vehicle with a new one OR buys back the same from you - should you wish to take this path. Lets hope for a positive response from them.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th July 2022 at 14:21. Reason: a word
haldar_siliguri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 11:13   #9
Team-BHP Support

Vinit. So very sorry to hear about your troubles with the Compass. As a brand new Jeep owner myself (my first Jeep as well as my first SUV), I’m keenly watching for your updates. I can’t imagine a worse feeling than what you’re going through as a new car owner.

I’m glad they gave you extended warranty free as a courtesy. Its the very least they can do and even that is not enough. After this second incident, they should also perhaps be giving you a courtesy replacement Compass for the period you are without your vehicle as Turbanator also suggested.

But this is the peripheral stuff. The most important aspect is for Jeep to give you a trouble free car which will somehow give you back the confidence to take this car out with your family on long (or short) journeys, as this car is meant to.

Jeep seems to be very enthusiastic and customer centric about getting feedback on the smallest complaints (from what I’ve experienced so far) so I have no doubt your issue will be getting attention at the highest level. But earnest promises are not enough. What that attention translates to in terms of actual resolution, is what all forum readers will be keenly watching.

Quote:
JEEP, don't make me hate what I love doing most!
@Jeep India & Landmark Jeep:
That last sentence really says it all. Make this right. There’s a lot of people watching where this goes from here.
Axe77 is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 11:47   #10
BHPian

I recollect having seen your pleasant announcement about taking delivery on the Jeep review thread, a few days back.

Very disturbing to see your experience. May you have the strength to tackle this situation patiently. Best wishes. Would be thankful, if you can keep us updated with the progress.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 11:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

The pain & heartbreak apart from the anguish can be well understood when one goes through such experience after trusting an 'iconic' brand and putting such a big amount of hard earned money. Most importantly, such ordeal within such small span of ownership totally wipes out cherishing the feelings of acquiring the vehicle you have been dreaming of, may be for years! Sincerely hope and pray that Jeep goes all the way to amend the shortcomings on their behalf to the satisfaction of a passionate driving enthusiast.
Kandisa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 12:08   #12

Sincerely hope the issue is rectified to your complete satisfaction (although, I personally don’t feel what solution would be okay for me if I was in your situation)

Your ordeal does reaffirm my own thoughts of cutting my losses and being done with my Dec 2021 Jeep Compass by the time it completes a year.
I drive frequently from Bangalore to Pune and really scary what you went through - especially with kids onboard.

Thanks for sharing and making others aware. I hope this reaches the top levels of Jeep (not just in India) and makes a lot more consumers aware of what might be in store for them. Although you’ve used the right strong words, I do think you’ve remained very level headed during this which is admirable.

Again, hoping for a solution to your utmost satisfaction.
yamoody is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 12:44   #13
BHPian

This is absolutely very shoddy..Every other Jeep post seems to be with small niggles or big horror stories like this.
Not like we are buying it for cheap. For the price point and brand value, one expects a premium offering and a peace of mind!!
Jeep is seemingly messing it up in India big time!!
smilingakash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 14:14   #14
BHPian

The JC 4x4 AT was one of the candidates on my shortlist to satiate my hunger for off-road quests. Until I read this horror story. This has made my task of choosing an all terrain steed much simpler with one atrocious contender (both product and afer sales service) out of the way. Hope and pray that the OP's concerns are resolved soon and in his best interest.
Sidjohri is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 14:59   #15
BHPian

Quote:
My stickers of "Live To Drive" and phone covers " Driving = Meditation" are two of my biggest Mantras in Life.
Really sad to hear about your ordeal. However, if I were you I would have never bought a Compass in the first place if "Driving = Meditation" because of the countless reports of rattling issues (especially in the top variants).

I hope that once these major issues do get sorted out that the rattling issues do not take their place and further ruin your ownership experience.
solaris007 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks