Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2020, 10:52   #211
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickygupta2 View Post
I have been told that to continue zero dep post 5 years there is a significant increase in premium. I have other add ons too like consumables, engine protect, NCB protector, key lock replacement and RSA.
Will depend on your usage and past claims. If you don’t use more and have no or limited claims, you can let few things go if they matter like NCB protector, Key Replacement. RSA upto a some standard distance is included in most policies, perhaps you are referring extended RSA. So if you don’t travel far off, this can also be excluded.

I will suggest you to continue with Zero Dep as it definitely helps especially on such premium cars where a lot of parts carry a high depreciation.

Last edited by Turbanator : 20th April 2020 at 10:54.
Old 20th April 2020, 11:02   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Will depend on your usage and past claims. If you don’t use more and have no or limited claims, you can let few things go if they matter like NCB protector, Key Replacement. RSA upto a some standard distance is included in most policies, perhaps you are referring extended RSA. So if you don’t travel far off, this can also be excluded.

I will suggest you to continue with Zero Dep as it definitely helps especially on such premium cars where a lot of parts carry a high depreciation.
In the past 5 years mine has been just a single claim and that too because a stone chipped my windshield in the first year of purchase. The actual price of the shied was 90,000. I will go with zero dep. Please also tell me if I should continue with the engine protect and consumable cover? Lastly the premium of around 87,000 comes at an IDV os 19.7 lakhs (10% less than last year's IDV). If I decrease the IDV to 17.7 lakhs the premium dips to 81,000. Should I make that move too? Attaching a snapshot of the proposed coverage.
Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India-mercedes-quote.jpg

Thanks for the quick response. Please guide further.
rickygupta2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 11:29   #213
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please also tell me if I should continue with the engine protect and consumable cover? Lastly the premium of around 87,000 comes at an IDV os 19.7 lakhs (10% less than last year's IDV). If I decrease the IDV to 17.7 lakhs the premium dips to 81,000. Should I make that move too?
The cost of other addons is very less, you can keep as comfortable. Lower IDV if they allow will be a factor if your car gets stolen or damaged beyond viable repairs. For normal claims, it won't make any difference. Say, if your damage is 5 or 7 lac, they will still pay you same irrespective of IDV.

I will choose an IDV close to the market price of the car.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 14:40   #214
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the quick response. Please guide further.
Your premium seems high for the value mentioned.

There are three discounts, so to speak:
1. NCB: No claim bonus
2. Discount to the premium after factoring NCB: This can go as high as 80%, but generally you can expect 70% if there has been no claim.
3. Final discount of the agent. This can be minimum 10%

The add on premiums are high. In my case, the basic premium after NCB and 75% discount is only Rs 24 K +; but add on premiums ( the works, including return to invoice) is Rs 57K +. Final discount of the agent is 14%.

So for an IDV of Rs 42 lacs, my 'payable' premium comes to Rs 92K. All included and return to invoice.
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 15:40   #215
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Your premium seems high for the value mentioned.

So for an IDV of Rs 42 lacs, my 'payable' premium comes to Rs 92K.
Is this because of the Age of the vehicle? We recently paid 43759 + GST on a new car, for an IDV of 32 lac approx. Zero Dep, consumables & Engine protection included. With TP (must be 3 Years - 25055) & GST, Total was 81200.

Not sure about 75 + 14% discounts, we are always told that discount is about 80% for regular customers.

Last edited by Turbanator : 20th April 2020 at 15:44.
Old 20th April 2020, 16:56   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Is this because of the Age of the vehicle? We recently paid 43759 + GST on a new car, for an IDV of 32 lac approx. Zero Dep, consumables & Engine protection included. With TP (must be 3 Years - 25055) & GST, Total was 81200.

Not sure about 75 + 14% discounts, we are always told that discount is about 80% for regular customers.
This SUV is 3 years old. GLE 250d. What do you mean when you say that you paid TP for 3 years and the rest for 1 year?

edit: NCB and discounts are standard offerings from the insurance companies. The final discount if what the agent offers you from his commission.

Last edited by earthian : 20th April 2020 at 16:58.
Old 20th April 2020, 17:05   #217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This SUV is 3 years old. GLE 250d. What do you mean when you say that you paid TP for 3 years and the rest for 1 year?

edit: NCB and discounts are standard offerings from the insurance companies. The final discount if what the agent offers you from his commission.
I mean, rate card may vary depending on the type/ engine capacity and Age. I am not sure.

It's now mandatory to pay for 3 Year TP when you buy a new car/ bike.

I understand that agent passes. So 80 % or so that we get might be combination of what he gets from Insurance + his comminsion.
Old 26th April 2020, 09:09   #218
BHPian

Quote:

I am myself an investment advisor and an insurance agent. However, I started vehicle insurance only a few days ago that's why I was unclear on certain aspects. You were right, the previous premium that I shared in the snapshot was way too high because the insurer wasn't giving a discount on OD premium despite having a 45% NCB on the car. So, I switched the insurer. So at an IDV of 20 lakhs for Mercedes 220 April 2015 model with Zero Dep, Hydro, Consumable Cover, RSA, and Key Lock Replacement I had to pay a total of Rs. 59,000. Zero Dep rate is on a higher side because only limited companies offer this add on after 5 years of the vehicle purchase.

And guess what, the day I got the insurance done, the company announced double commission for that specific day. So the total cost of the insurance was 59000 and I got a commission of 18000 on the same!

Last edited by rickygupta2 : 26th April 2020 at 09:09. Reason: Spelling mistakes
rickygupta2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 17:43   #219
BHPian

Hello all!

I need some advice. I own a 2013 manufactured Mercedes C-class petrol. It’s the w204 generation with the OM271 engine. After a delay of almost 40 days due to the lockdown, my car went in for it’s 7th year service. My car has just run 24K kilometers, but I was told the following by the SA:

1. The service booklet mentions that the automatic transmission fluid (ATF) has to be replaced every 4 years or 40 thousand kilometers. But my service advisor has been telling me that since the car hasn’t run much, I don’t need to replace this. Is he right?

2. He has told me that my car needs engine mounts, transmission mounts and spark plug mounts. I have not felt even a slight increase in NVH. Also, the car has just run 24k and that to on the smoothest of roads in central Delhi. Do I still need to replace them?

Would really appreciate some help.

Sanidhya
Old 28th May 2020, 20:06   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
Well, i bought my C class in 2008 and it has done 40K kms now. I changed the transmission fluid recently but not the mounts etc.

If the viscosity is okay, and it has been used decently, then i don't think you need to change it. But then, i am not an expert.
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 20:38   #221
BHPian

Quote:

Sanidhya
I have the same car (Jan 2014) manufactured and with similar running- at 33,000 km now.

Mercedes recommends that the ATF is changed once at the 4 year mark or 60,000km and it's not needed after that. I have the service schedule somewhere but can't find it. We had it changed on our car at the 4 year make and it did make some difference.

The mounts etc should be ok in all likelihood and will not need a change. That's just them trying to inflate the bill to the maximum possible. Have it checked independently and get it replaced at FNG if the need arises.

Honestly, I have stopped taking the car to the dealers here for basic service because they are all crooks of the first order always trying to inflate the bill as much as possible.

I found a very good garage run by an ex Mercedes technician will all proper tools and diagnostic equipment in moti nagar. It's call Merk motors and is run by a wonderful chap by the name of Gulsher Ali (he is on LinkedIn!). His contact number is +91 98918 07380. I paid approximate 11k for the service just before the lockdown with engine oil change, all filters replaced and grease added to the driveshaft. Oil used was Mobil 1 and he used a proper vaccum device to drain the old oil.

You may want to consider it. Feel free to drop me a PM with your contact details and we can discuss anything about the car.

Cheers
Rohan

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 29th May 2020 at 00:40. Reason: removing extra spacing
RohanDheman is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 20:57   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the automatic transmission fluid (ATF) ... I don’t need to replace this. Is he right?
If you want to keep the car for long, be generous with replacement of fluids - they are dirt cheap compared to dealing with engine/transmission repairs. If you don't plan to keep the car for long, then you can be more conservative.

Quote:
2. He has told me that my car needs engine mounts, transmission mounts and spark plug mounts.... Do I still need to replace them?
What is the worst that can happen if you don't replace them? I guess nothing - you can always replace when you see some evidence of them needing replacement. It's not the smooth vs rough roads but those occasional "oops didn't notice the speed breaker" moments that damage the mounts.
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 09:25   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Well, i bought my C class in 2008 and it has done 40K kms now. I changed the transmission fluid recently but not the mounts etc.

If the viscosity is okay, and it has been used decently, then i don't think you need to change it. But then, i am not an expert.
Thanks. The SA told me that the viscosity seems to be fine. He also told me, that in cold countries the ATF has to be replaced every 4 years. But in Indian temperatures, it is ok to do it only once the car reaches 40k Kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
I have the same car (Jan 2014) manufactured and with similar running- at 33,000....
Cheers
Rohan
Thanks a lot for the contact. Will surely try them on my next service. Did you get you transmission fluid replaced at the MBASC? If yes, then could you please tell me how much did it cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
If you want to keep the car for long, be generous with replacement of fluids - they are dirt cheap compared to dealing with engine/transmission repairs. If you don't plan to keep the car for long, then you can be more conservative.

What is the worst that can happen if you don't replace them? I guess nothing - you can always replace when you see some evidence of them needing replacement. It's not the smooth vs rough roads but those occasional "oops didn't notice the speed breaker" moments that damage the mounts.
Thanks. Yes, I do plan to keep it for a long time, which is why I was worried about the SA not replacing the transmission oil. I have heard some horror stories regarding transmission failures on German cars in India, but the SA was pretty sure it wouldn't be a problem because my car has not run too much.

Thanks for your prompt responses,

Regards
Sanidhya
Old 29th May 2020, 10:47   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Did you get you transmission fluid replaced at the MBASC? If yes, then could you please tell me how much did it cost?
Yes, we had it changed at the authorized workshop at the 4th year service. I don't have a copy of the bill with me but i remember that the cost of ATF including labor charges was upwards of INR 35,000.

On the recommendation of the workshop, we had taken a service pack for the 3rd and 4th year from Silver Arrows, Noida and the ATF change was a part of that package.

But even with your low running i would highly recommend the change. Fresh fluids and filters are for the benefit of your car and since you do plan to keep her for a fair bit, no harm in getting them changed.

Cheers
Rohan
RohanDheman is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 12:24   #225
BHPian

Is there a list of good and reliable Merc mechanics in Mumbai, especially around Bandra? Looking for 3-5 year old E class . Thank you

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks