Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2022, 18:47   #391
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India

I can relate with your frustration..

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldemort View Post
If getting flowers and candies are what a luxury car ownership is (as opposed to peace of mind), then I don't need a luxury car. I want reliability over luxury.
Perhaps moving forward, Lexus is the way for you.
Old 25th February 2022, 21:47   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Got this letter today. Must say i appreciate MB's tracking my 14 year old C class and fixing a defective part:
Takata Air Bag issue is from 2013. Just imagine it took so long for them to issue a recall knowing that you were driving car with faulty airbags which could result in death upon deployment.

You can read more about it here.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 01:00   #393
BHPian

I have been experiencing a little squeaking noise from the back of my car for a while along with very unsettled ride when going over bumps and potholes. My car is a 2018 C200 with ~17000kms on it. The car used to be parked for stretches of 6 months at a time during the initial years. I also have 2 years of extended warranty left on the car.

When I got it checked at Silver Arrows Noida they said the shockers might be making some noise and if so they will be replaced under warranty but your tires have grown hard and that's why there is so much noise and unsettled ride.

I'm wondering whether this actually happens or am I being ripped off here. It currently has Bridgestone Turanza 250/55 R17 Run-Flat tyres.

Also kindly suggest tires that make low noise and offer a smooth ride, I think run-flats are not the way to go, tubeless should work fine
Old 31st March 2022, 07:05   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katil.garage View Post

When I got it checked at Silver Arrows Noida they said the shockers might be making some noise and if so they will be replaced under warranty but your tires have grown hard and that's why there is so much noise and unsettled ride.

I'm wondering whether this actually happens or am I being ripped off here. It currently has Bridgestone Turanza 250/55 R17 Run-Flat tyres.

Also kindly suggest tires that make low noise and offer a smooth ride, I think run-flats are not the way to go, tubeless should work fine
Shocks could be a problem. I had a similar issue but with the front shocks in my 2019 C220d and they replaced the entire set under warranty.

And I agree. These tyres even when new are very hard. I regret not changing them to something else when they were new. However, like you I too probably will change much before I cross 20k.

I have been recommended both Michelin and ContiContact. Any suggestions or advice from folks here will be deeply appreciated.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 31st March 2022 at 07:07.
Old 31st March 2022, 07:47   #395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
I have been recommended both Michelin and ContiContact. Any suggestions or advice from folks here will be deeply appreciated.
Naresh, these particular Turanza RFTs are indeed rubbish. I'm also hoping to change then on my 17K km BMW 330i.

Is your tyre size correct or is it 225/55/17? If they are 225s, there are ample choices in Michelin PS4 & P4ST offering sporty handling vs softer ride (respectively) for around 13K.

Michelin also makes an excellent RFT called the 3ZP for around 18K.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 08:33   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Naresh, these particular Turanza RFTs are indeed rubbish. I'm also hoping to change then on my 17K km BMW 330i.

Is your tyre size correct or is it 225/55/17? If they are 225s, there are ample choices in Michelin PS4 & P4ST offering sporty handling vs softer ride (respectively) for around 13K.

Michelin also makes an excellent RFT called the 3ZP for around 18K.
The size is 225/50 R17. I saw multiple choices in Michelin:

1. Primacy 4 ST
2. Pilot Sport 4

First one is W rated while the second one is Y rated. Rest very difficult to understand the difference except minor load rating difference - 94 vs. 98

Any advice?
Old 31st March 2022, 11:46   #397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. Primacy 4 ST
2. Pilot Sport 4
My layman advice:

P4ST: Longer life + cheaper + focus on softer ride & good handling
PS4: Shorter life + slightly more expensive + focus on stiffer ride & great handling.

You cannot go wrong with either I feel. I like my speed and handling, hence I'll go for the PS4 in a few months.

Last edited by itwasntme : 31st March 2022 at 11:47.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 15:17   #398
BHPian

Quote:
My layman advice:

P4ST: Longer life + cheaper + focus on softer ride & good handling
PS4: Shorter life + slightly more expensive + focus on stiffer ride & great handling.

You cannot go wrong with either I feel. I like my speed and handling, hence I'll go for the PS4 in a few months.
On this I am reminded of handling and I must admit that the current Turanza 001 have absolutely the best handling. While they are very stiff, the handling is precise and to the smallest degree, accurate and at all times. The car goes where you want it to go with absolute accuracy and grip.

So as a replacement, PS4 it is then.
nareshtrao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 15:25   #399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On this I am reminded of handling and I must admit that the current Turanza 001 have absolutely the best handling. While they are very stiff, the handling is precise and to the smallest degree, accurate and at all times. The car goes where you want it to go with absolute accuracy and grip.

So as a replacement, PS4 it is then.
If these are the same bridgestone Turanza's that came stock on our 2016 W205 C220d : there are some much nicer options available including the P4ST.

I'd give the P4ST a good strong look : the PS4 grips like a leech, but if you don't see yourself pushing the car around bends and getting the tail out on the stock Turanza's - the PS4's will be overkill!

For the performance the C200 promises, the P4ST should be able to give better grip than the stock Turanza's while not compromising on strength, comfort, wear, or noise like the PS4.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), Michelin was facing some issues with their supply when I was in the market for a new set of tyres - so picked up the Continental Conti Sport Contact 5 and am super happy with them!
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 16:09   #400
Distinguished - BHPian

Go with Primacy. They are cheaper, more readily available, likely to get fresh stock and will do just fine for stock C200. Pilot Sport is an overkill - more suitable for car+driver not wanting to losing traction under hard acceleration/braking and tight cornering, etc. for which the power on tap and driving style should go beyond most regular touring needs.
androdev is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 16:15   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
If these are the same bridgestone Turanza's that came stock on our 2016 W205 C220d : there are some much nicer options available including the P4ST.

I'd give the P4ST a good strong look : the PS4 grips like a leech, but if you don't see yourself pushing the car around bends and getting the tail out on the stock Turanza's - the PS4's will be overkill!

For the performance the C200 promises, the P4ST should be able to give better grip than the stock Turanza's while not compromising on strength, comfort, wear, or noise like the PS4.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), Michelin was facing some issues with their supply when I was in the market for a new set of tyres - so picked up the Continental Conti Sport Contact 5 and am super happy with them!
What if we skip the RFTs and go for normal tubeless tyres, something like the Yokohama BluEarth-GT AE51. If there are better options than this, please do suggest.

My goal is the quietest and plushest ride as I don't intend to push the car much
Old 31st March 2022, 16:31   #402
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Go with Primacy.
Androdev, surprised to see that the original Michelin Primacy is still listed on their site. Would this be a better option than the more modern 'Asian' P3ST version?
Attached Thumbnails
Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India-screenshot_20220331162834.jpg  

Old 31st March 2022, 16:57   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Androdev, surprised to see that the original Michelin Primacy is still listed on their site. Would this be a better option than the more modern 'Asian' P3ST version?
If I remember correctly, the P4ST comes with stiffer construction which would make them better suited for our conditions - especially given the lower profile rubber of these Germans.
Given they are pretty decently grippy and all rounder tyres, with the added stronger construction : I'd stick to the ST over the standard, unless looking for performance - in which case there are options from Continental (CSC5 which is decently priced for a performance tyre) & Michelin Pilot Series (at a premium).

I've also swapped to Continental UC6 on our Corolla & S-Cross : they're pretty good all rounder options as well. The S-Cross was using P4ST and the UC6 seem to be an equally good option as well - it's able to handle the S-Cross 1.6 monster torque, is decently quiet and comfortable too. However haven't had a chance to review the wet handling & grip as yet.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 17:51   #404
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My goal is the quietest and plushest ride as I don't intend to push the car much
Easy choice and you can go for it with your eyes closed: Michelin Primacy 4 ST:

https://www.michelin.in/auto/tyres/m...n-primacy-4-st
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 23:18   #405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What if we skip the RFTs and go for normal tubeless tyres, something like the Yokohama BluEarth-GT AE51. If there are better options than this, please do suggest.
Honestly, tubeless is the way to go: more options, better pricing, better ride & handling balance, etc.

Despite getting performance oriented tyres, they're overall a couple notches above the stock RFTs.

As suggested by itwasntme - the Michelin P4ST are a good bet followed closely by the Continental UC6.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks