Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2020, 01:26   #271
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India

MB India Extended warranty - Reliance Insurance.

To my understanding based on recent discussions with MB Dealership, unlike BMW, we need to get an extended warranty via an Insurance, Reliance in case of Mercedes. As per my SA, even BMW gets BRI backed up by an Insurance company and so does other companies like FORD/ Maruti.

This is something new for me. I have had zero troubles (Ok- a few ) with BMW as my communication was with the BMW Dealership/ Company but somehow don't feel comfortable with a private insurance, whose owner is now bankrupt. Our 4th Year warranty will get expired in 2024 so paying to Reliance will be a big unknown. Or is this something dealer specific and MB India has some direct plans as well?
Old 21st October 2020, 10:57   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Or is this something dealer specific and MB India has some direct plans as well?
Hi, this does not seem to be dealer specific. We just picked up a E220d on Sunday for the in laws and the extended warranty for years 4-6 is from Reliance even though the payment has been made to the dealer along with the car. This was at Global Star in Green Park. I checked with my old SA at T&T and he also said the same. In contrast, the extended warranty for my C Class came from Mercedes back in 2014.

We did show some hesitation but the owner of the dealership is friends with my brother in law and said that should anything go wrong, we will only deal with the workshop and will not have to deal with Reliance at all.

Last edited by RohanDheman : 21st October 2020 at 11:11.
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 19:41   #273
BHPian

I have a C200 that we purchased in Jun 2018. Till date it has only been driven roughly 8500km as we don't use it as a daily runabout. When we typically buy such cars we buy for a long time (for eg. this car replaced our 2002 Honda City). But reading this thread I am really concerned not with the maintenance but the repair costs post warranty. What is the likelihood of the car developing major problems repeatedly (once or twice is fine) and what do you recommend we do with it. Also if someone has owned a c class for a long period of time and can give the reliability report it would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time!
katil.garage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 20:01   #274
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by katil.garage View Post
Till date it has only been driven roughly 8500km.What is the likelihood of the car developing major problems repeatedly (once or twice is fine) and what do you recommend we do with it.
I don't have a hands-on experience with MB India but understand from the friendly dealer that as long as the car is serviced by MB India, they take care of the genuine problems. How it pans out is something needs to be checked or existing owners can share. But instead of paying a large amount to Reliance for the warranty, I will put that into a deposit for 3 Years and handle the situation as it develops at that time.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 14:37   #275
BHPian

Quote:
========
Or is this something dealer specific and MB India has some direct plans as well?
If I remember correctly, about a decade ago when we extended warranty for an Estillo, there was some questionof getting approval from some insurance company. Can't recall 0 name of the company though. About reliance getting bankrupt, your concern is genuine but I believe there would be some mechanism under law, to cover you in case your insurer goes down.
Gurgaon_lyon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 15:25   #276
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickygupta2 View Post
Not in a mood to spend 40k when I have a Rs. 1.2 lakh gear oil service on my head. Also considering buying Bosch charger.
What is the gear oil service interval ? Is it every 40k miles or 4 years ? or is it once in 5 years ?
Does the interval differ for 7G tronic and 9G tronic models ?

Last edited by sgm : 22nd October 2020 at 15:50.
Old 23rd October 2020, 02:21   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

To my understanding based on recent discussions with MB Dealership, unlike BMW, we need to get an extended warranty via an Insurance, Reliance in case of Mercedes. As per my SA, even BMW gets BRI backed up by an Insurance company and so does other companies like FORD/ Maruti.
Similar case with Audi too. Our 2011 A6 E.W. was through an insurance company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katil.garage View Post
I have a C200 that we purchased in Jun 2018. Till date it has only been driven roughly 8500km as we don't use it as a daily runabout. When we typically buy such cars we buy for a long time (for eg. this car replaced our 2002 Honda City). But reading this thread I am really concerned not with the maintenance but the repair costs post warranty. What is the likelihood of the car developing major problems repeatedly (once or twice is fine) and what do you recommend we do with it. Also if someone has owned a c class for a long period of time and can give the reliability report it would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time!
Our C220d has completed 4 years but there have been niggles. Thankfully most of them were sorted out under warranty.
Like yours, our running was low too with 6K completed in 2 years.
As yours is a later model most bugs should be sorted out, but regular wear and rear is on the higher side such as brake pads, tyres, etc. compared to your City.

Coming to maintenance Costs: If your car has been relatively reliable these two years - I'd expect it to continue.

Also, use this time to find out about reliable and good independent garages in your city who have experience with premium vehicles - they can handle routine services, some electronic parts such as sensors, and the like. You may still prefer to give it to Mercedes for more complex jobs such as gearbox oil change, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgm View Post
What is the gear oil service interval ? Is it every 40k miles or 4 years ?
On our 2016 C220d, it is 4 years / 60Kkm.

Last edited by manson : 23rd October 2020 at 15:34. Reason: Deleted blank rows.
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 09:11   #278
BHPian

I own a 2013 E200 and the car is running on it's original battery.From the past few days the battery has been giving me trouble and the car is refusing to start. It just makes a tick-tick-tick sound and all the lights flicker when I turn the ignition on.I contacted T&T Workshop in Okhla and they're quoting me 31K for a new battery and I feel that's a bit too much. Any help or advice from fellow BHPians will be highly appreciated.
Old 29th October 2020, 16:26   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc_Freak View Post
I own a 2013 E200 and the car is running on it's original battery.From the past few days the battery has been giving me trouble and the car is refusing to start. It just makes a tick-tick-tick sound and all the lights flicker when I turn the ignition on.I contacted T&T Workshop in Okhla and they're quoting me 31K for a new battery and I feel that's a bit too much. Any help or advice from fellow BHPians will be highly appreciated.
Thats steep for the battery. I had kept an E250 CDI for 2 yrs and sold last week (missing her terribly ) but the battery can be bought from open market. I know someone who might be able to help. PM me.

I have owned an e250 for 2 yrs which I bought pre-owned (2011 model). The first thing I did was to get it serviced (Engine oil, oil filter, fuel filter, topping up coolant and brake fluid, cleaning of AC filter). All this cost me about 12k. Then I also got the tranny serviced (oil and filter). This cost me 13k. But then its for next 50k km.
All these I got done from an old guy who runs a garage exclusively for Mercs for the past 50 yrs. This guy is good and by the rates I have written, I think pretty reasonable. However though the Merc was my first premium car, I can easily say with confidence that its the cheapest premium car to maintain. A wiper blade set from motor market in Chandigarh cost me 1100 bucks !!! More expensive that XUV that I previously owned.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Last edited by Sheel : 30th October 2020 at 09:43. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 29th October 2020, 23:27   #280
Senior - BHPian

Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parambir View Post

All these I got done from an old guy who runs a garage exclusively for Mercs for the past 50 yrs. This guy is good and by the rates I have written, I think pretty reasonable.

Since the forum is all about sharing and caring please do share the name and contact details of this gentleman. I am sure it will help a lot of Delhi bhpians.
Pancham is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 23:45   #281
BHPian

Not sure if this correct thread, but I just saw an ad for 2013 R class, 65k km for 16 lacs, what do you guys think of it? Would it be good idea?
What should be realistic price?Itt would be my first used car in India. And it would be hard to convince my parents but I need something which would do part time job (2-3 months a year when I visit India )with a good badge).
Old 30th October 2020, 00:02   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Since the forum is all about sharing and caring please do share the name and contact details of this gentleman. I am sure it will help a lot of Delhi bhpians.
There is this guy called Amarjit in Phagwara, Punjab who does repairs and service. He can be contacted on 9041100001.

Hope this helps.
Parambir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 08:15   #283
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurgaon_lyon View Post
Not sure if this correct thread, but I just saw an ad for 2013 R class, 65k km for 16 lacs, what do you guys think of it? Would it be good idea?
What should be realistic price?Itt would be my first used car in India. And it would be hard to convince my parents but I need something which would do part time job (2-3 months a year when I visit India )with a good badge).
They are not bad and quite comfortable. Only issue are the awkward looks and it will be very difficult to sell on. Its rarity means sourcing parts might be difficult.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 08:27   #284
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurgaon_lyon View Post
2013 R class, 65k km for 16 lacs, what do you guys think of it?
Buy Innova Petrol, new or slightly used. Don't even look at such cars. This particular variant, though appropriate for our conditions (good rear seats) was a flop and MB service and costs will be a royal pain. No body will give a second glance to such cars, so if you are looking for something exclusive, this is not the car. If you have higher budget, check Vellfire and a newer variant of V Class. If you have need for 7 seats, can check the Kia as well but my pick based on your requirements will be a neat Innova.

Last edited by Turbanator : 30th October 2020 at 08:31.
Turbanator is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 08:49   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc_Freak View Post
From the past few days the battery has been giving me trouble and the car is refusing to start. they're quoting me 31K for a new battery and I feel that's a bit too much. Any help or advice from fellow BHPians will be highly appreciated.
Just take your car to a good Exide or Amaron dealer and get your battery changed to the same rating one. It will be displayed on your existing battery. IMHO it should be 90 DIN. It will be much cheaper and your car will run without any issues.

You dont need to replace with the AGM battery from the dealer at all, regular maintenance free battery will serve the purpose.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks