Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2023, 09:30   #106
BHPian

Re: KA HC allows BH series to private employees

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
It's not loss of tax revenue. It's loss of illegitimate gain.
It's not illegitimate gain when BH series does not require a proof of residence in a state for renewing the registration after the initial registration; Bangalore is full of cars running on BH number plates which have been registered out of state. How is that not loss of revenue? BH will work only when states are paid their fair share of the revenue from vehicles including the cess that is collected which is with the centre only.
Bhodrolok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 09:37   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neerajku View Post
Dont think you have read the forum. Do take out time and read the posts and if still not clear do search on the net. The taxes are not reduced, just so that you know, they get spread over time.
Well, I own BH number Brezza VXI AT in Karnataka. So, I know the road tax difference, I am going to save 1.25L + inflation adjustment.
dijkstraind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 10:05   #108
Senior - BHPian

I guess if the road tax (in any state) can be paid annually over the lifetime and RTOs can be connected in backend then there won't be so much issue and inconvenience. Person can just pay yearly tax whichever state the car is in. Just like how we pay for insurance every year. There won't be a need for BH series or proving eligibility for BH. Every citizen can be benefited and states losses could also be minimized.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 13th September 2023 at 10:09.
Aviator_guy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 11:38   #109
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

There are few aspects to this -

1. Most states calculate road tax on ex-showroom price which includes GST. BH notification specifies the 2 year multiple to be done without GST. Some states follow this and some ignore. Ideally this should be harmonized in MV act for regular and BH series registration to avoid undue loss/gain and bring parity.

2. Since the road tax receipts are now each 2 years, to adjust inflation over 15 years, there is fitment factor of 1.25 already in tax calculation. So this is taken care. Problem is base tax rate. The road tax rate varies hugely across states and fixed base rate of BH will appear as loss or gain depending on your state. GoI can't do anything here as right to levy road tax is state subject and create issues in federalism. Ideally this should be tied to the state where vehicle resides.

Current system is unfair and proposed system addresses only few stakeholders and as a citizen don't want all of this in my transferable job (Government or Private). LTT should be modified as One Time Tax (OTT) and no state can levy another LTT. They should just be permitted only yearly tax if vehicle moves to a new state. No hassle of refund or another huge LTT without refund. Most people will comply and failure to pay yearly tax should be penalized heavily.
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2023, 08:16   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
not charge road tax again for full 15 years if an old vehicle came to be registered in the state
I agree to your sentiment, but the 'full 15 years' bit is not correct

There is a formula that is followed to calculate road tax on an older vehicle, which takes into account the original registration date and discounts it appropriately(taxation schedule attached has the details)

That said, I paid Rs 13000 for a 12 year old Zen, while the road tax originally paid in Chandigarh was Rs 2100
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Taxation Schedule.pdf (4.08 MB, 196 views)
Old 15th September 2023, 15:13   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post
It's not illegitimate gain when BH series does not require a proof of residence in a state for renewing the registration after the initial registration; Bangalore is full of cars running on BH number plates which have been registered out of state. How is that not loss of revenue?
Humble Note: My reply below is not based on any political or regional bias. It's applicable to any state in similar situation.

Currently, KA state is responsible for this situation and associated loss of revenue. If the government had permitted BH registration from the onset, most of such vehicles would have registered in KA itself. In my understanding, if there's no financial advantage, no one would go through the hassle of buying a car from other state and then driving/ shipping to KA.

There may be few vehicle owners who got transferred to KA and brought their BH registered vehicles from other states.

If KA allows BH registration, I believe, all such owners would pay road tax installment to KA RTOs. Caveat: for this to happen, all states should levy road tax on 'Vehicle price before GST' as mandated in notification.

Also, as I mentioned in previous post, if the states had acted fairly with citizens for vehicle transfer, BH wouldn't have come into play. Their past deeds are haunting them now.

Quote:
BH will work only when states are paid their fair share of the revenue from vehicles including the cess that is collected which is with the centre only.
Though this is crucial matter between Centre and States, there's no link/ per-condition with BH registration. This was present even before BH came into picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post
I agree to your sentiment, but the 'full 15 years' bit is not correct... There is a formula that is followed to calculate road tax on an older vehicle, which takes into account the original registration date and discounts it appropriately(taxation schedule attached has the details)
That's what I thought while transferring my 4 year old vehicle from TN11 to HR26. But full 15 year road tax was extorted from me by HR RTO (and HR RC was issued for 15years validity from that date). I was entangled in too many things that time, and difference wasn't too much (@ 6%), so paid the amount.

So, this too varies from state to state or may be from RTO to RTO.

Also, when I bought a diesel vehicle under same RTO, it charged road tax for full 15 years, even though diesel vehicles are not allowed to run in NCR beyond 10 years. This was much before inception of BH. When I protested with dealer SA, he said VAHAN system self calculates the road tax based on vehicle price. Even RTO office won't accept application as they also rely only on the VAHAN system. At last, I paid the amount.

Summary: Till the time officers are extorting excess revenue for state from common public, no authority will care.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 15th September 2023 at 15:39.
AutoNoob is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 20:32   #112
BHPian

If one were to try and carry out the registration with all necessary documents with a copy of the court order, on what grounds can the RTO refuse?

For many who are in transferable jobs, it is indeed a nuisance to not be allowed to use an option that has been available for almost 2 years now!
Old 16th September 2023, 23:07   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
If one were to try and carry out the registration with all necessary documents with a copy of the court order, on what grounds can the RTO refuse?

For many who are in transferable jobs, it is indeed a nuisance to not be allowed to use an option that has been available for almost 2 years now!
They can simply say that they haven't received any circular from the state govt.
Vehicle registration starts after you make full payment. Now, in case RTO denies BH registration, you will have to go for KA number. You can file contempt of court against the state govt/RTO but I don't think the dealer will give you car without registration and no one wants to leave a new car in the dealer stockyard after making full payment.
Old 17th September 2023, 10:28   #114
BHPian

The KA transport department is planning to file a SLP in Supreme Court. They have 90 days window to do so from the date of HC order. They will wait till the 89th day and then file. I have filed a caveat in SC so that we we’ll know when they file it. Its going to be another long fight unless the SLP gets dismissed which is unlikely.
Nomad is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 14:37   #115
BHPian

I have obtained BH series after a lot of haggle at a Bangalore RTO. Notwithstanding the fact that my employer (Bank) is owned by LIC & GoI and a GoK order stating the bank employees in transferable jobs are eligible for BH series.

For the RTO folks “sarkari” banks mean SBI, UBI, CB, BoB, etc and I need to move a mountain to convince them about my eligibility. I had to give them copies of my offer letter , transfer order copies of the past and then after dilly dallying for a fortnight, they blinked and allowed BH registration.

Invoice price is price of the car excluding all taxes and cess. An other rto where I got my colleague car registered calculated road tax including GST and cess for BH registration.
MDED is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 17:35   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
The KA transport department is planning to file a SLP in Supreme Court. They have 90 days window to do so from the date of HC order. They will wait till the 89th day and then file. I have filed a caveat in SC so that we we’ll know when they file it. Its going to be another long fight unless the SLP gets dismissed which is unlikely.
Is the 90 days counted from the data of the judgement? So, from 27th July, it'll be around 25th Oct?
Old 6th October 2023, 20:57   #117
BHPian

Yes - Usually it is from the date we get the certified copy. So post Nov 2nd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texens View Post
Is the 90 days counted from the data of the judgement? So, from 27th July, it'll be around 25th Oct?

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th October 2023 at 20:18. Reason: Fixing broken quote tag.
Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 19:42   #118
BHPian

Any update on BH registration in Karnataka? Is it worthwhile waiting for Nov?

Know someone who is working here but hails from Pune. Was able to get a BH registration done without any fuss and drive down to Bangalore. Needless to say, saved a cool 3 lakhs in the process (considering upfront payment only)
Old 27th October 2023, 21:32   #119

Is there any update on BH series registration in Karnataka for private employees? Is the HC decision being challenged in SC?
Old 28th October 2023, 20:05   #120
Senior - BHPian

I am eager too, to know any updates on this since 90 days deadline is now over I believe, as the last order is dated 27th July. I am directly affected by this because I am currently waiting to convert my temp registration to a permanent one (though I have another 3 month's time before the temporary registration expires).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks