Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2023, 16:42   #61
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors @ Auto Expo 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Missing out on perhaps the most sought after ADAS function- Adaptive Cruise Control!
The lane keep assist is also missing.
callmeneo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 17:27   #62
Senior - BHPian

From the latest round of Tata Motors interviews incl. Mr. Shailesh Chandra, Mr.P Balaji & N. Chandrasekaran

Models/Future launches
- All concepts shown are intended for production
- Next launches will be Punch and Altroz new CNG variants
- Focus on creating more desirable products
- Too many product gaps that Tata is trying to address
- Harrier EV and Curvv EV will be launched in 2024.
- Curvv ICE will be the next all new ICE product from Tata, which will be launched following the EV variant.
- Sierra and Avinya are slated for 2025 launches

R&D
- Tata simultaneously investing in a number of powertrain technologies incl. ICE and EVs
- Working with startups/innovators for battery technologies other than lithium ion
- E20 compliant engine development ongoing
- Too many product gaps in the current portfolio that Tata is trying to address

Indian market
- Spend another 2.2 Billion USD by 2025 on all things EV
- EV market growth much faster than previously anticipated, Indian auto growth will be EV led shortly
- Indian consumers are moving upmarket, median price now 9lac+. People want bigger cars/SUVs
- Tata to boost production capacity by 60% this year
- Diesel engines will become less viable after the next emission norm changes, will gradually be less that 5% of the industry volumes
- Increasing policy support from the Govt. that will make transition to EVs faster
- By 2030 EVs will have at least 30% of the Indian car market sales.

EV business
- Targeting 25% of Tata sales to come from EVs by 2025 and this share growing larger consecutively
- 10 EV models by 2025
- Current PV+EV monthly production capacity of 50k units, will shortly increase this to 80k units.
- Big portion of the production increase will be allocated to EVs.
- Batteries aside, more than 50% of EV componentry has been localised and this will become 80% by 2025.
- Lots of interest from local vendors in setting up domestic EV component production.
- Tata Group will invest in cell manufacturing, announcement soon.
shortbread is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 18:09   #63
BHPian

They can add new MID, new Infotainment, new Red leatherette, Ambient lighting around sunroof, 1.5 level ADAS but are so not bothered to tinker with steering wheel design based on customer feedback.

It would have been so nice if they could have used Auto Expo as opportunity to change the steering wheel design, it feels so out of place.
varunswnt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 19:35   #64
BHPian

Here's the new infotainment system from Harrier and Safari in live action !

If the facelifted twins are to be defect free, then I'd expect a huge boost in sales.

Watch from 03:30
r24x7 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 19:54   #65
Senior - BHPian

shortbread is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 19:55   #66
BHPian

WOW!! Tata has come out with all guns blazing this year. Safari/Harrier now have all the must have practical features and nothing as such is a deal breaker for me even in this version. It already had the looks going for it, and I feel with these updates Tata has addressed most of the critical pain points of the existing Harrier/Safari owners. If they are able to price it slightly below or on par with XUV 700, they have a winner in their hands. That said, not having adaptive cruise control looks to be a missed opportunity. I feel, Tata thinks that Safari would be more preferred by folks who like driving their macho "SUV" and hence they want them to drive all the way

Also feels proud that 2 Indian manufacturers are going head to head to attract customers with quality products. Sure they have parts where they need to improve. But the fact that they are working on them by listening to feedback demands an appreciation from everyone.
Silent Buddha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 23:22   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post

Models/Future launches
- Too many product gaps that Tata is trying to address
- Harrier EV and Curvv EV will be launched in 2024.
- Curvv ICE will be the next all new ICE product from Tata, which will be launched following the EV variant.
- Sierra and Avinya are slated for 2025 launches

EV business
- 10 EV models by 2025
- Current PV+EV monthly production capacity of 50k units, will shortly increase this to 80k units.
Okay, so no new launches in 2022 and 2023. We will have Curvv ICE at the end of 2024. That's a whole two years and the segment has grown to have two game changers viz., grand vitara and Urban cruiser hyryder. They have pretty important gaps to cover: the creta segment and the ertiga segment. Both are high volumes + fat margins cars.

I am guessing the ten EV models would be:
Existing ones: Nexon, Nexon Max, Tigor, Xpres-T, tiago
Upcoming ones: Curvv, Sierra, Avinya, Harrier, Safari or punch.

80k production resulting from Ford's plant? Good thing they will be starting to run things right from this year. With this, i am thinking Tata can easily surpass Hyundai in sales.

I am still surprised they don't have any updates on Nexon. Their best selling car.
Benoit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 00:04   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Okay, so no new launches in 2022 and 2023. We will have Curvv ICE at the end of 2024. That's a whole two years and the segment has grown to have two game changers viz., grand vitara and Urban cruiser hyryder. They have pretty important gaps to cover: the creta segment and the ertiga segment. Both are high volumes + fat margins cars.
For the time being it will be updates/variants of the existing line up, new CNG variants of Punch, Altroz, updated Safari/Harrier etc..

The problem for Tata is where do they make these additional models/volumes?
It will take a good few months for them to adapt the Ford Sanand facility for manufacturing EVs. I think once this is complete, the Curvv and electric Harrier launches will follow soon after. It will be much earlier than 2024 end, but I'm speculating here.

Hopefully in the mean time Tata focuses on expanding the dealer and service network, perhaps dedicated ones for the EV business at least in Tier 1 cities. There is no point in targeting premium customers if the ownership experience will be laggard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
I am still surprised they don't have any updates on Nexon. Their best selling car.
The Nexon will likely be the 2 box variant of the Curvv
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 05:10   #69
BHPian

Harrier.EV will be a gamechanger. Harrier.ICE is (allegedly) unsafe and unreliable. EV will solve both these issues and turn it into the perfect car. And they've removed the ugly light cluster.

Sierra.EV is TATA's opportunity to break into the 40L+ market. I keep hearing that many don't want to spend 20L+ or 30L+ "on a TATA". But the name Sierra is something that many would spend 40L+ on. Hope they go all out on the top end variants, with many differentiating styling clues. Take on the Toyotas.
Old 13th January 2023, 07:21   #70
BHPian

Sierra wowed me the most out of all the tata cars at Expo. The best thing is that all the cars Tata has showcased at Expo will go into production and get launched.
SanjayW is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 08:52   #71
BHPian

Safari and Harrier EVs' styling could be much better. Little or no differences to exterior styling is a disappointment.

Also, for God's sake, please please change that steering wheel Tata. What is wrong with you guys? It belongs to a truck, not on a 20L+ flagship of your company. the dent on the Horn pad sucks big time. Wonder how on earth you can unsee it, Tata
rangarx is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 10:25   #72
Senior - BHPian

Few observations.
  • Harrier EV looked like a last minute job in terms of design changes.
  • Sierra on the other hand looked fantastic.
  • I liked the conversation between Autocar & Tata's design Martin Uhlarik on Sierra. Simple, straight to the point and gave out exact information one would expect from that quick conversation.
  • I feel, we will soon see Harrier & Safari with 1.5L petrol engine, probably crash tested with 5 Star rating
  • Looks like Tata will not invest in hybrid tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
Also, for God's sake, please please change that steering wheel Tata. What is wrong with you guys? It belongs to a truck, not on a 20L+ flagship of your company. the dent on the Horn pad sucks big time. Wonder how on earth you can unsee it, Tata
Here is the new steering wheel which we would see in Tata cars moving forward as confirmed by Tata's design head.

Looking at Tata's design language, I feel they should rework the brand logo/emblem. Something which looks futuristic and matches with the design language. Something on the lines of what we see on the front facia of Tata Avinya.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Motors @ Auto Expo 2023-tata.jpg  

Last edited by HammerHead : 13th January 2023 at 10:27.
HammerHead is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 12:06   #73
BHPian

As others have observed, I used to have the same thought about Harrier/Safari's steering wheel. It for sure does not belong in the Cars (Sedan/Hatchback/SUV). For some reason, they're adamant on continuing the same which looks out of place with rest of the vehicle. We can only guess if it is their leadership that is reluctant to change or design team itself.

Also time to update their logo to differentiate their trucks/buses vs Cars. Very out of place logo in the 21st century.
darthvader001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 13:21   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
The new features in Dark Red edition are what people were expecting in Harrier/Safari Facelift. These features will trickle down to regular Harrier/Safari as has been seen previously.
While I am happy that these features have finally been made available, especially the larger screen for the infotainment system, I am also a little disappointed that having purchased the Dark Edition only a few months ago, I missed out on all of this . Hopefully there should be an option to upgrade existing models.
Old 13th January 2023, 13:26   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1 View Post
Sierra.EV is TATA's opportunity to break into the 40L+ market.
The Sierra EV is built on the Sigma platform derived from the Alfa platform. I see this will be positioned below the Harrier EV which is on the OMEGA platform. For the 40L+ market a Safari EV is the best candidate and it will happen beyond 2024 given the Sierra EV & Harrier EV are slated for 2024.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks