Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2007, 10:30   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post
Surprising surprising... With over 400kgs on board on potholed roads I never experience the bottoming out. Probably the potholes you drove upon were the real deal
My friend, maybe you should visit Bangalore some time. These guys should get awards for building skyscrapers on roads, and then calling them speedbreakers.
Old 17th October 2007, 11:33   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
My friend, maybe you should visit Bangalore some time. These guys should get awards for building skyscrapers on roads, and then calling them speedbreakers.
Stayed there for five years!! I agree on this.. more than wholeheartedly. I remember the speedbreaker on the Jakkasandara intersection. Horrible it was. Probably a Sumo would have bottomed out on that

But that said, I think that the Civic bottoming out issue is blown out of proportions. In general riding conditions on semi-decent roads it is not an issue.
Old 17th October 2007, 11:38   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post
Stayed there for five years!! I agree on this.. more than wholeheartedly. I remember the speedbreaker on the Jakkasandara intersection. Horrible it was. Probably a Sumo would have bottomed out on that
OFF TOPIC
That one's an engineering marvel, i must say. To add to the spice, the tar just as soon as you get off that speed breaker has disappeared, thus increasing the angle of descent.
Old 18th October 2007, 00:21   #64
BANNED

kudos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetu4444 View Post
The same site has lot of lauras also, but civic sales are double than laura or accord or cedia or any other car in this segment,,, well too many civics on road, many accidents aswell so may be repaired and then selling them off, some cant afford the huge EMI so selling it, many coporates and bpos have company car which they sell some times early or so.. iam sure all team bhp owners of civic planing to keep the car at least for 3 years...and they are happy with it. AS about mileage i get in my A/T around 9 to 10 in city, about low seating people dont adjust their seats well, and the guy who said astra handling is better than civic, iam sure he doest not know much about cars, this car is car of the year in india, and around the world is selling very well... and we get the same car in india . well people find ways to put things down when it is on top... civic sell coz it is a world class car, if it had soo many problems as people assume it wont be selling..
hey..buddy..i totally agree with you, first people used to say that we dont get world class/international cars in india. now when we are getting good cars like civic...people are still cribbing and have put up many issues. its not a bad car at all...its been the car of the year in india and many other countries. its not really the problem of civic's suspension...its only that our roads are not laid well enough for international cars.

people are also buying cars like porsche, ferrari, lambos in india...would they complain about the car when there car bottoms out at every speedbreaker or pothole... Guys c'mon...we should be happy..that finally we are getting international cars in india..its not the cars fault that are roads are not good.

already all the cars launched in india have raised height, high profile tyres and tweaked suspensions....even in the case of civic.
the problem lies with indian roads...that even after all the tweaks..cars tend do scrape underbellys.
Old 18th October 2007, 00:28   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
people are also buying cars like porsche, ferrari, lambos in india...would they complain about the car when there car bottoms out at every speedbreaker or pothole
Porches, Lambos & Ferraris never bottom out thanks to adjustable ride height.

It would be nice if you avoid dotty posting.
Old 18th October 2007, 01:29   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You sure about that busa ?
Old 18th October 2007, 02:04   #67
BANNED

adjustable ride height??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post

It would be nice if you avoid dotty posting.
BUSA..you should get your stats right...these car dont have adjustible ride height..oh please. the have active suspensions..which mean that they have sport modes or normal modes and get stiffer on sports mode and softer on normal modes...they don't have adjustable ride height. and even if some car has it in this range, which i don't know of. it doesnt help on indian roads..they definitely are still very very low when compared to cars in india. dude...ive been driven in prosche carrera and 911 and lambo gallardo, my friend praveen owns them and even my neigbour owns a blue gallardo in gk-1, on even delhi's best roads like connaught place...these cars scrape there underbody on speed breakers or even the smallest potholes...and none of them had adjustable ride height. even in the sport mode in his carrera where the suspension gets stiffer, the car bottoms out. dude...i m not just saying this..its out of experience.
whenever you'll come to delhi...i'll let you meet this guy..he has a very big farm on the mehrauli road in delhi jusr for his cars.
Old 18th October 2007, 02:09   #68
BANNED

BUSA...only high end luxury cars or SUV's have adjustable ride height..where it literally increases or decreases the hight of the car from the road. sports cars don't have this..because adjusting their ride height would ruin their performance and wouls result in body roll and car dynamics would also suffer. they do have different modes which makes the suspension stiffer or softer.
Old 18th October 2007, 06:36   #69
Senior - BHPian

sanchits - Why dont you use the edit function for posts made within 20 minutes of time.

Well most of the supercars nose can be raised up to go over speed bumps, and you cant compare a supercar with a Civic saying it Supercars bottom out so its ok if the Civic does, supercars are used on rare occassions, Civic is a daily driver for most.

Anyways i like the Civic you can see my avtaar.
Old 18th October 2007, 10:36   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchits View Post
its not a bad car at all
No one is saying that the Civic is a bad car.

Quote:
its not really the problem of civic's suspension...its only that our roads are not laid well enough for international cars.
Aren't cars like Verna, Fiesta, SX4, Accord, Laura, Mercedes etc international cars? If none of these cars suspension bottoms out then why should Civic be an exception. And yes, if the Aveo, Fiesta, SX4, Verna or God forbid, the Fabia, Linea or GP have this problem would we be as forgiving?

Quote:
people are also buying cars like porsche, ferrari, lambos in india...would they complain about the car when there car bottoms out at every speedbreaker or pothole
Now a Civic is being compared to Lamborgini, Porsche and Ferrari! No wonder Honda has such an attitude in India!

Quote:
the problem lies with indian roads...that even after all the tweaks..cars tend do scrape underbellys.
When even the measly M800 doesn't scrape it's underbelly, why should the Civic? Didn't a company like Honda which is famed for it's technological prowess do any research before launching the car? Didn't they test the car on Indian roads before launching it? From the looks of if, it certainly looks like it.

What most people are not getting is that the problem is more of Honda's attitude then the suspension bottoming out. When you buy a 1.2 million rupee car for daily use and it keeps scrapping it's underbelly it will cause frustration. To top it the company flatly denies that any such problem exsists. Imagine the fury if this response was from GM, Ford, Skoda or Fiat.
Old 18th October 2007, 10:49   #71
Senior - BHPian

Should Honda specify that the car's underbelly will scrape on a Indian speedbreakers ? Are they promising that it wont scrape ? By the way each one of the speedbreaker is different and have dont follow any standard. How should you think Honda should certify this ?

Do you think a porsche or Ferrari owner would complain about this ? One should know what car they are buying and how its going to be on Indian roads. (by the way comparison is fine here since we are dealing with ground clearance only).

I think we are digressing since we do not know the exact reason for Civics in used car market.
Old 18th October 2007, 12:21   #72
Senior - BHPian

I agree with srishiva... there's no standards for speedbreakers in India.
:-)

With 5 people on the Mysore Ring road, I managed to scrape 3 bumpers out of some 10 to 15 that were there. Anyone who's been on that road from JP nagar to Mysore Road will know those humps. Now how can any manufacturer predict how those humps will be.

Probably they should take the size of the biggest speedbreaker and use it as the default for all others.

I think its a relevant issue as people could be selling off their Civic because of this particular issue.
Old 18th October 2007, 12:25   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

does bangalore have lot used civics for sale?
Old 18th October 2007, 20:03   #74
BHPian

was offered a 16 day old civic 2 weeks ago, 400 km on the odo, violet, manual for 9.7 L, V model

I would definately buy this particular civic to a new one, 3.5 lakh hit in 2 weeks !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 18th October 2007, 21:26   #75
Senior - BHPian

thats an awesome deal. Just close your eyes and take it. :-)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks