Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2008, 11:31   #76
BHPian

Have MIL posted specifications of the Swift Sedan aka ''Dezire'' on some site? I am curious to know how different is it from the Swift hatchback. Believe me the SX4 is a far better looking car compared to the pics of the Swift Sedan I've seen so far
Old 20th January 2008, 16:33   #77
BHPian

It would be interesting how it is going to be priced ( both Petrol and Diesel ) and sandwiched between Swift and SX4. Surely sales of one car is going to be affected between the three.
Old 20th January 2008, 16:53   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Yuck,this car looks ugly,is this a inhouse effort by maruti like the ugly previous gen zen restyle?

One more fragile rattly car coming.
Old 20th January 2008, 16:57   #79
Senior - BHPian

imho - car looks NEAT...the boot integration to the body looks really good atleast in these photos..

its really difficult to add a boot to a car which was designed to be a hatch and then make it look good and proportioned
in that sense, this car looks neat..

rear space is pretty bad in the swift

has maruti worked on this aspect or is the wheel base just the same as the swift ?
Old 20th January 2008, 16:58   #80
Team-BHP Support

Those pictures have been available for a while now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

Source: Autocar India
Old 20th January 2008, 17:03   #81
Senior - BHPian

Its ugly alright. But IMHO, the swift is not so pleasing to the eyes too. I still think the car sold more for the performance and the service network of Maruti than anything else. Looks certainly will not make me buy the car. But that is my opinion.
Old 20th January 2008, 19:31   #82
Senior - BHPian

just plain UGLY stuff from MUL:(, could have done much better,not even 1% close to the beautiful esteem
Old 20th January 2008, 19:50   #83
BHPian

Swift Sedans

I mean no offence to Maruri owners. But to put the facts straight, Esteems, Zens, M800 did not sell in large numbers because they were top class cars, but as they say "In the land of blind the one eyed man is the King". Similiarly in land of AMby,Padmini, Contessa etc. Esteem, Zen, M800 did not have to struggle to get buyers helped on by Government (it was a PSU in those days). Then when Fords, Hondas, Hyundais, Tata, GM, Mercs started entering the market, the customer had a better choice but still Maruti Suzuki had a headstart over others. But looks MUL has realised it has to bring some world class cars and have introduced Swift, SX4. these cars are not Marutis they are Suzuki and Swift Sedan will compete with Accent, Aveo, Indigo and Logan. The vast dealer network of Maruti will defintely push Swift Sedan aggresively
Old 20th January 2008, 22:17   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunpn View Post
I mean no offence to Maruri owners. But to put the facts straight, Esteems, Zens, M800 did not sell in large numbers because they were top class cars, but as they say "In the land of blind the one eyed man is the King". Then when Fords, Hondas, Hyundais, Tata, GM, Mercs started entering the market, the customer had a better choice but still Maruti Suzuki had a headstart over others. But looks MUL has realised it has to bring some world class cars and have introduced Swift, SX4. these cars are not Marutis they are Suzuki and Swift Sedan will compete with Accent, Aveo, Indigo and Logan.

The Esteem and the Zen were fantastic cars for their time. And for your info, the Esteem is the sedan version of the older generation Suzuki Swift. And just like the Swift and SX4, the Esteem and the Zen were Suzuki badged cars abroad.
Old 20th January 2008, 22:24   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt. View Post
And for your info, the Esteem is the sedan version of the older generation Suzuki Swift. And just like the Swift and SX4, the Esteem and the Zen were Suzuki badged cars abroad.

Thats true - the Zen was sold as the Alto in Europe, as was the original 800. The Zen in India was launched around the same time in India as in Europe - which was a pretty rare thing in the 1990's
Old 21st January 2008, 09:37   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapli View Post
exactly my thoughts. Good pricing may find many buyers though.
And not to forget the diesel option if the fiat gives the permission and MUL is willing to put in. May be with a slight re-map to increase the BHP and torque figures.
Old 21st January 2008, 10:00   #87
Senior - BHPian

The pics might not do justice to the car. I think one should wait till it comes to the showroom, and then decide. What would be nice is if they bring this out with various engines. a 1.6 petrol and 1.3 petrol (for FE conscious users) and the Diesel. This way, a customer can choose what type of engine they need for their kind of pocket.

Also - I wonder if they have increased the length of the chassis in order to accomodate the boot, or is it the same as the swift?

Quote:
I mean no offence to Maruri owners. But to put the facts straight, Esteems, Zens, ......... Logan. The vast dealer network of Maruti will defintely push Swift Sedan aggresively
Maruti must be doing something right if they still have been able to maintain their leadership position.

A while back we had done an analysis on their production and found that maruti is the only company which is effectively using their installed capacities.
Old 21st January 2008, 11:49   #88
NIP
Senior - BHPian

dunno about you guys, but i think it kinda looks ok. only the swift will loose its hot hatch image a little, not to mention the owners egos. if we accepted the first gen santro (i had one for 7 years!) and the i10 which looks equally grotesque (IMO), why not this ?! or does the qualis look better than this ?! oh i forgot the NHC and Logan ! man i can go on and on...!

a diesel with a 'dikky' is probably the best or only alternative that the current indigo buyers might have. weird looks might not be a deterrent for the prospective market here. the engine has already proved itself and i think it will sell well.

Last edited by NIP : 21st January 2008 at 11:53.
Old 21st January 2008, 11:56   #89
Senior - BHPian

It doesn't look that bad. Need to wait for the pics. I think it might look good actually.
Old 21st January 2008, 16:14   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
It would be interesting how it is going to be priced ( both Petrol and Diesel ) and sandwiched between Swift and SX4. Surely sales of one car is going to be affected between the three.
ACI Dec issue reported a range between 5L to 6L and Maruti is aiming at least 3K sales per month, very reasonable target.
And forget look, some of the worlds most ugliest cars sold here in large quantities, didn't they? First gen santro for example.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks