Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2008, 00:17   #16
nbr
BHPian

Fortuner is not that great

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
i saw them in dubai and in bangkok but i personally dont like it.. i prefer the nissan rouge or even rav4 instead of that.
My cousin owns a Fortuner here in Dubai, its pretty cramped inside, finishing is good,but ride is not that great when compared to CRV,even space wise CRV is a great choice then fortuner. What we feel is its built for price,nothing else
Old 14th February 2008, 00:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

isnt it cheaper than the cars you mentioned?
its based on the innova/hilux if i am not wrong
Old 14th February 2008, 00:50   #18
BHPian

Heard about this car on the Car and Bike show on NDTV. And it is not going to be launched in India before 2009. So Mr. Sorabjees suggestion, settle for the CRV till then
Old 14th February 2008, 06:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

Based on Innova.

The Fortuner is based on Innova platform. This platform is called IMV( I may be wrong here in naming the platform ) and this plaftorm was to span MPV, SUV and pickup truck. The real number of vehicles from this platform is more than three.

But dont know about each and every vehicle.
And the real baffling point is that if Fortuner is based on Innova platform, it would be very easy for toyota to manufacture Fortuner here in India along with Innova and place it about the MPV.

But here they are slow.
Old 14th February 2008, 07:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

if its based on innova platform i guess space should be fine - atleast not worse than the CRV...and if its priced at around 15lakhs - im starting to save my money!
Old 15th February 2008, 12:43   #21
BHPian

Speculation about fortuner is going on since 2004 but i guess its not in our fortune before 2009 -10 knowing Toyota India.
when Toyota is making innova which share platform with fortuner why is the car not here dosnt Toyota know if made in India with a diesel what can be the potential sales of this vehicle or they still testing waters

Last edited by rubin2006 : 15th February 2008 at 12:45.
Old 15th February 2008, 12:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

if its manufactured in india it will cost less than 15 lacs,and it can beat safari and scorpio

but i myself feel its not very likely toyota will manufacture it here
Old 15th February 2008, 17:39   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The fact that it had embassy plates alone should deter our excitement; obviously Toyota India has nothing to do with it. If and when they do launch the Fortuner, I hope it is priced competitively. I don't see why it shouldn't be as it is based on the same platform as the Innova.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
i saw them in dubai and in bangkok but i personally dont like it.. i prefer the nissan rouge or even rav4 instead of that.
I remember Steeroid also not being particularly impressed with the Fortuner.
Old 15th February 2008, 17:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
And the real baffling point is that if Fortuner is based on Innova platform, it would be very easy for toyota to manufacture Fortuner here in India along with Innova and place it about the MPV. But here they are slow.
Even though the Fortuner is based on the same platform, Toyota can't manufacture it because they have a small factory that just about manages to keep up with Innova and Corolla demand. I guess more products will come when they expand capacity at Bidadi.
Old 18th February 2008, 12:20   #25
BHPian

Toyota India (TKM) is scheduled to launch Fortuner along with the new Corolla ....... around (hold your breath) sep-oct of 2008. So the wait is not that long now. It is to be launched before the festival season this year. Another beast hits the India road around the same time .... the Mitsubishi Outlander.

BTW for those saving up for the Fortuner, its gonna be in range of the current CRV prices .... maybe a notch higher.

I am eagerly looking forward to the battle of the offroaders .....
Old 18th February 2008, 20:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

If they price the Fortuner above 15L, its a serious over kill, since its basically a Innova underneath.
Old 18th February 2008, 21:28   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
If they price the Fortuner above 15L, its a serious over kill, since its basically a Innova underneath.
Unless ofcourse it comes with the 3.0 D4D and Full time four wheel drive with a center differential. I would pick it any day over the Pajero 2.8.
Old 18th February 2008, 21:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
I too saw the same at Chanakya puri a couple of months ago . It was light golden with blue color embassy no. plate . The car looked fantastic . Sorry no pics as i dont carry a cam ....
Maybe the one you saw was same. And ya the car did not excite me as much as the CRV does.
Old 19th February 2008, 04:36   #29
BHPian

I had a chat with the Market research guy from Toyota one day regarding the launch dates of the Fortuner he conformed that it will not be built in India as the plan expansion is currently taking place to manufacture Toyota's Small car ,the Fortuner will be mostly launched as a CBU or CKD(to keep the prices low)

He also mentioned that the fortuner project is being put off just for the reason that Innova will sell a lot more if the Fortuner ain't around.....

I had this chat with the Toyota guy while we were visiting Existing Corolla, Innova Customers to get their Feed Backs on how they would like to get their new small car ........so what we should generally expect would be the small car first.....
Old 19th February 2008, 05:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

Yes

Yes StarScream, it is now apparent that Toyota is not launching the Fortuner because of their production limitations. But the expansion, I believe, is mainly for small car and then they may look at fortuner.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks