Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: When is Fiat India going to shut down?
2005 : They cant survive any longer. 22 9.05%
2006 25 10.29%
2007 or in the whereabouts. 21 8.64%
I dont agree. Fiat India is here to stay - They will pull off a miracle. 175 72.02%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2005, 02:24   #316
BHPian

Just saw this in ET that Fiat is going to resume the production of their cars in 2006.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/1291143.cms
Old 11th November 2005, 03:10   #317
Senior - BHPian

Fiat India will go down in 2006 or maximum can stay on till 2007.

There's no way they're gonna stay past that.
Old 11th November 2005, 10:02   #318
Senior - BHPian

Somethign to chew on?

Taken from :

http://www.businessstandard.com/comm...dx=1&lselect=0

Fiat India is getting ready to start production from its Kurla facility in Mumbai and may launch the Grande Punto soon in the country.

De Filippis Giovanni, who took over as managing director of Fiat India recently, told Business Standard today, “The factory was badly affected by the recent floods in Mumbai and we have an estimated loss of Rs 75 crore. Repair activity is going on in full swing and we should be ready to start producing the current range of A178 platform-based cars soon,” said Giovanni.

“We are also looking at introducing the revamped Palio range and its variants, which were a runaway success in markets like Brazil when launched in 2004,” he added. “While the Palio continues to be the best suited car for Indian roads, we are looking at bringing in more exciting products.”

On whether the newly launched Fiat Grande Punto, with a 1.3 multijet diesel engine, would make sense for the Indian market, Giovanni said it was too early to predict the next move. “We are looking at the premium end of the B-segment at a later stage,” he said.

The Grande Punto, which was successfully launched recently in Europe, is a premium B-segment category car. To get a brand new model like the Grande Punto into production, Fiat will need to invest between 100 million and 400 million euros, depending on the amount of local content.

One of the mistakes we made in India was to take products to the market before they were fully localised and we do not want to do that again,” Giovanni said.

At the same time, Giovanni said it was important for Fiat to get the other aspects of its business, more importantly the sales and service network, sorted out. “We understand that Fiat products enjoy tremendous equity with Indian customers and we also know that it is the sales and service areas that need urgent work,” Giovanni said.

To address this issue, Fiat India plans to bring in new dealers in areas where the carmaker does not have any presence.

Close interaction with the Tatas on all aspects of business: Giovanni said Fiat and Tata were looking at close interactions in almost all areas of the automobile business.

“We started work the moment an MoU was signed and there is scope for doing a lot. We will be looking at common sourcing of components, joint production opportunities and sharing of service facilities. Yet, it is too early to comment on these aspects,” he said.

“We are working together with many automotive partners around the world. Fiat has a joint agreement with Ford to build a next-generation small car called “Ka”, using a Fiat platform from a company plant in eastern Europe. Similarly, our relationship with Suzuki remains excellent too,” Giovanni said.

When asked whether Fiat would be receiving help from Tata to get the Rajnandgaon greenfield facility up and running, he said it was still being discussed. “It is common knowledge that we need to get going with Rajnandgaon, and it is possible that Tata Motors will be a partner in that.”

Asked whether the company would have the option of getting 1300cc multijet diesel engines, co-developed by Fiat, from the upcoming plant of Suzuki in India, Giovanni said it was a possibility.

“We will be making the engines in India since that makes our cars cost-effective, but it is too early to say whether they will be sourced from Suzuki,” Giovanni added.

Suzuki will build the engines from a dedicated plant which is reported to have an installed capacity to build 1.5 lakh engines per annum.
Old 11th November 2005, 20:25   #319
Senior - BHPian

Just saw on a news channel that Fiat is going to resume production from Jan 06. The losses due to the floods were estimated to be Rs.75 crores.
Old 12th November 2005, 07:02   #320
Senior - BHPian

Reading through the thread posted by TypeO, Fiat is definately making the right kind of noises. New Palio, dealers in newer areas, revaming sales and service, for the first time since they launched their cars here, Fiat is talking sense and it looks like the italians are now beginning to realise where they went wrong in their Indian strategy. I hope they get their act to-gether and bring in some exciting hatches in India. I have always said this and I repeat, Fiat has the products that can help them grab market share. The Palio with the Multi-jet engine can easily out sell Maruti and Hyundai small car diesels. Come on Fiat! we are all with you!
Old 12th November 2005, 17:54   #321
Senior - BHPian

Amit, Fiat MD talks a lot and does less. Even if you look at new MD's speech, he has not committed on anything. Fiat keeps on talking about possibilities than any concrete plans. They are always non-committal. Whether it is about shifting facility to Ranjangaon, or launching new models or even launching revamped new Palio. Few things which new MD talks about, are being talked about since 2003. They better start acting than doing talking.

Previous MD did make all right noises, but was sent back in less than 4 months. Let's hope this time it is different.
Old 13th November 2005, 07:03   #322
Senior - BHPian

well said RX135 but Looks like Fiat has been able to instill faith in their products but now they need to instill the confidence of people on their dealers.
Old 13th November 2005, 09:33   #323
Senior - BHPian

This is a bit off topic, but I wonder how Fiat dealers are coping with these difficult times?
IMO, the most difficult job currently is that of the Fiat salesman. Wonder how it feels to peddle something that has the odds stacked so heavily against it (not talking about the car itself).

PS : The easiest job is that of a Honda salesman in India.
Old 13th November 2005, 20:09   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The easiest job is that of a Honda salesman in India.
And thats also the reason why Honda and it's sales people are so arrogant and behave as if they are doing the customers a favour by letting them buy their car. Toyota salespeople also have the easiest job with honda. The only expereince I have had with Toyota sales is when I went to help a friend check out the Qualis. It was the Toyota dealer in Malad. I forgot the name now. But the saleswoman there was very nice. Didn't have the arrogance of the Ichibaan Honda salesman.
Old 13th November 2005, 20:23   #325
Senior - BHPian

Honda hasn't been so much arrogant as snooty in my case. They're certainly looking at 'premiumizing' the whole experience and charging 3x-5x for repairs/svc !

Last edited by zenx : 13th November 2005 at 20:24.
Old 14th November 2005, 13:27   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
This is a bit off topic, but I wonder how Fiat dealers are coping with these difficult times?
IMO, the most difficult job currently is that of the Fiat salesman. Wonder how it feels to peddle something that has the odds stacked so heavily against it (not talking about the car itself).
I had asked about the tata alliance stuff to a salesman at the sole fiat dealer in bangalore, a while ago. He just gave a plain remark "no idea", helplessly. however, another lady recently told that people will soon get access to many tata service centers. Interesting, but its obvious that we need to wait till an official news is announced, if thats going to be true at all!
Old 14th November 2005, 13:47   #327
BHPian

My brother works for the Tata dealer NAWAB MOTORS in Noida. On my recent trip to Noida, he told me that from January, they would be selling the Fiat Cars also. The fiat website http://www.fiat-india.com/ is up now. I visited the Fiat dealer in noida and they also confirmed that the Fiat would start manufacturing the cars in January 2006 and the Tata dealers would sell them.
Old 14th November 2005, 14:26   #328
Senior - BHPian

I too, was told by fiat guys that if I wanted anything other than their present stock of vehicles, I have to wait till january after which they are going to get new stocks

Overall it seems to be a good news for fiat owners (and aspirants of course!) It definitely sounds more than just words by MD(s!) and the MoU, now once can expect some tangible benefits out of it (or at least hope so!! ).... right??
Old 14th November 2005, 15:37   #329
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s
I had asked about the tata alliance stuff to a salesman at the sole fiat dealer in bangalore, a while ago. He just gave a plain remark "no idea", helplessly.
No wonder! He must be scared to his bones. Once tata service centers start servicing Fiat, all the Fiat owners scarred by Sundaram's horrible service would switchover without much delay. Talk about past sins catching up...
Old 14th November 2005, 15:59   #330
Senior - BHPian

Again some rumours have started in Palio Users' Group saying that Sundaram has been stripped off the Fiat Dealership in Bangalore. It seems that they will just be an authorized service center. I do not know how much of this is true.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks