Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2009, 11:28   #91
BHPian

It's never going to happen, fools can try all they want.

As for China, theres no language called Chinese, so what do they use? They have a bunch of different ones like us.

I am not going to use, they can fine me all they want, I know most non-maharashtrians in Mumbai will not use it, all this Marathi pride crap is just going to divide this country along with all the MNS garbage.

So much for India shining...use the frickin global language.
Old 31st March 2009, 11:36   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think Maharashtra has appealed to the High Court at least thrice and has been refused every time. So this may be just an election stunt.
I started the thread with the DCM's remark in April 2008 and the incumbent DCM that time is presently not in the Cabinet.
So cannot call it a election stunt.

Probably now Maharasthra would like to approach H.C asking it to permit people to show their party loyalties also in the Number plate. Most of the "local" number plates start with a political party symbol or flag.
Old 31st March 2009, 11:42   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagan.js View Post
It's never going to happen, fools can try all they want.

As for China, theres no language called Chinese, so what do they use? They have a bunch of different ones like us.

I am not going to use, they can fine me all they want, I know most non-maharashtrians in Mumbai will not use it, all this Marathi pride crap is just going to divide this country along with all the MNS garbage.

So much for India shining...use the frickin global language.
this is so true. All this marathi manoos crap is just a friggin political agenda. Today for anyone marathi or non marathi reading a no. plate in english is easier.

Our dy c.m has brains in his ..... .

Cheers,
AC
Old 31st March 2009, 11:44   #94
BHPian

Another non issue and totally superficial move designed to mislead the public as an alternatives like real work are too much of a distraction for the incompetent. Language is for communication, not nationalism and patriotism.

In a country like India where real problems exists there are plenty of ways for nationalists and patriots to express themselves but we never see that, we see divisive politics to particular segments of the population, very soon we will have patriots in all states and the India we all know will diminish in some way.
Old 31st March 2009, 13:49   #95
BHPian

For everyone's information who has posted on this thread, number plates are governed by the Central Motor Vehicles Act - a law passed by the Parliament.

How much authority does a state government have in changing it ? Zilch !

Simply put if I take my 4 wheels into a neighbouring state I am pulled over by the neighbouring state's police for not having a legible number plate I will file a PIL in the court against this law.

Simple. The government cannot for a handful of police officers (say less than 40k in Mumbai city alone) change the law so that lakhs of people and police of other states are inconvenienced.

OT - Suppose I have a marathi plate, I am involved in a crime committed in another state apart from Maharashtra what happens then ?

@ Mallu number plates, post - do we have a mod which can read malayalam ? lol hahahah

Last edited by mmmjgm : 31st March 2009 at 13:52.
Old 31st March 2009, 14:20   #96
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

How dumb can the politicians get?

They are prepared to shoot off from their mouth to politicize just about anything.

Marathi number plates will ensure, Maharashtra cars do not travel outside Maharashtra. Simple.

Next we will have the requirement for a new kind of national permit. (which we already have today for cars.)
Old 31st March 2009, 14:29   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post

For everyone's information who has posted on this thread, number plates are governed by the Central Motor Vehicles Act - a law passed by the Parliament.

How much authority does a state government have in changing it ? Zilch !

Simply put if I take my 4 wheels into a neighbouring state I am pulled over by the neighbouring state's police for not having a legible number plate I will file a PIL in the court against this law.

Simple. The government cannot for a handful of police officers (say less than 40k in Mumbai city alone) change the law so that lakhs of people and police of other states are inconvenienced.

OT - Suppose I have a marathi plate, I am involved in a crime committed in another state apart from Maharashtra what happens then ?

@ Mallu number plates, post - do we have a mod which can read malayalam ? lol hahahah

This is very true, the State govt can however come out with a notification which is in addition to the CMV act for additionally providing numbers in local language i.e. English with Arabic Numerals + another line for local language. Currently in Karnataka, its present but not compulsary and you can see them in only the govt owned vehicles.

On the contrary having number plates ONLY in the local language is illegal and you can see many of them in bangalore.

Last edited by dadu : 31st March 2009 at 14:30.
Old 31st March 2009, 14:34   #98
BHPian

At least in Karnataka - It is mandatory to have at least one number plate in english...having additional in their respective local language is optional.....
Old 31st March 2009, 15:16   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
This is very true, the State govt can however come out with a notification which is in addition to the CMV act for additionally providing numbers in local language i.e. English with Arabic Numerals + another line for local language. Currently in Karnataka, its present but not compulsary and you can see them in only the govt owned vehicles.

On the contrary having number plates ONLY in the local language is illegal and you can see many of them in bangalore.
I remember a suggestion by someone on T-BHP to escape being caught by Karnataka RTO in Bangalore with an other state number plate - Have your number plate in Kannada!
Old 31st March 2009, 16:20   #100
BHPian

I have seen many Indica Cab/ Sumo with Complete Kannada No... How they travel to the Other state ? Even Hosur (TN) is not even 50 Km from Bangalore. AP is also the Same...
Does those vehicle only runs in Bangalore City.
And the Funny thing is that those vehicle run for Big Big MNC in Bangalore
Old 31st March 2009, 16:53   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
I have seen many Indica Cab/ Sumo with Complete Kannada No... How they travel to the Other state ? Even Hosur (TN) is not even 50 Km from Bangalore. AP is also the Same...
true...have seen in our Blr off' shuttling cabs bearing #plates in kannada, after viewing the thread i personally discussed with our logistics manager on this, inturn he instucted the local cab owners to write alpha numerical #plates if their contract needs extension...
Old 31st March 2009, 20:04   #102
BHPian

These are just stunts by our politicians when they want to divert attention from the real issues. If we as citizens refuse to accept the change then there is squat they can do to enforce it.
Old 1st April 2009, 00:01   #103
BHPian

This is the height of stupidity and impractical too. As pointed out in earlier posts, what about vehicles traveling interstate? May be we should make 22 sets of number plates and carry them and change them as needed, if every state decides to follow suit. Policemen/RTOs will be laughing all the way to the bank though.

The tata sumo plate reads: KL-01 AN xxx, and it is a police vehicle. Like the note itself states, note that the numbers are in Arabic itself. Only the alphabets are in malayalam.

And yes, malayalam has its own set of numbers, though I would not recognize one even if it danced naked in front of me.

http://www.clickeralam.org/Malayalam-Numerals.pdf
Malayalam Unicode Entities

PS: No naked dance, those. Just numbers.
Old 1st April 2009, 07:44   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
I have see quite a few 2 wheelers and 4 wheelers having registration plate completely in Kannada at Hosur!
Old 1st April 2009, 09:46   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post

And yes, malayalam has its own set of numbers, though I would not recognize one even if it danced naked in front of me.

http://www.clickeralam.org/Malayalam-Numerals.pdf
Malayalam Unicode Entities

PS: No naked dance, those. Just numbers.
Never had the necessity or the opportunity to learn! Anyway good that you sent this!

Most Viewed