Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2008, 17:55   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
One of the reasons why people aren't getting their car after a definite waiting period is that the car is being delivered to someone else out of turn. This happens in Bangalore and I'm sure it happens in other cities too where the demand is way more than the supply. Two ways of making this happen - pay the dealer more or pull the required strings.

The dealers really don't care as long as the demand is greater than supply and most people wait for their car rather than go for another brand.
I have a friend whose cousin works with a MUL Dealer at a High Post in Mumbai. Now the fact is this, many people get their cars out of turn. Why? Cause they Pay "ON", a premium for speedier delivery.
Old 13th May 2008, 18:53   #17

more questions on delays !!

It appears to be the same story of delay everywhere..
Do not know how the increased production cannot take care of bookings done in the first few days yet.

Does anyone know if any issues / problems with the product ?

Is there any sales figure / confirmed delivery numbers that anyone knows of ?

What would be the approx. stock held by Maruti at launch ? has that been exhausted and not able to meet bookings done in week one ?

Am quite confused !!
Old 13th May 2008, 20:59   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
I have a friend whose cousin works with a MUL Dealer at a High Post in Mumbai. Now the fact is this, many people get their cars out of turn. Why? Cause they Pay "ON", a premium for speedier delivery.
I was shocked when my friend told me that a dealer had offered to significantly cut down the waiting period (for a Swift VDI) if he was willing to pay a "small premium". If paid, I'm sure there would be no records of the money having changed hands. In the govt. sector this would be called a bribe.

The dealers are definitely enjoying this. After all, they don't have enough competition to take away significant portion of their sales.

A person from Bimal, Indiranagar went to the extent of saying that Maruti was in a way happy too because the message going out is that it's worth waiting for several months to bring home a Swift/Dzire.
Old 13th May 2008, 21:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest a group of Dziring members go give a huge KNOCK on Maruti's doors.
Ask them for an explanation for a solution to a problem that started 3 years back with the Swift petrol .
Old 13th May 2008, 21:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine got his VDI extra fast after using some *influence*. He was unwilling to divulge the details though
Old 13th May 2008, 21:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

I just cannot understand the desperation of car buyers these days. We can just buy any product off the shelf these days.

Trust me, I too want to get the Dzire VDi. Its been on my mind from the time scoops came out. But, I will just not wait 4 months+ for that car. I fully agree its good value for money, but I do not see anything that justifies the never ending waiting period. The market is pretty open with choices, isnt it. Its the price point that is working in MUL's favour.

I would urge buyers to be patient and delay their purchases till this craze is over. I would rather wait with my existing car rather than pay and wait for a Dzire. MUL will continue to make hay till the sun shines.

Also, I do not see a pressing need for another thread to vent individual buyer desperation. This is being discussed extensively on other threads. Capacity issues, black marketing, charging premium for prefferential allotment for the swift are known facts. I dont think there is any other reasons for the delay.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 13th May 2008 at 21:50.
Old 13th May 2008, 22:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

@ Mail4ajo : Very well said ! Well i guess every buyer has the right for the urgency. As far has i know few people who had booked Dzire have been cancelling their bookings ( especially those who had booked zdi) cos of 6-7 months wait period. Logan & Indigo are good options but anything with MSIL tag sells. I dont see demand for Dzire reducing now.
Old 13th May 2008, 22:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

The waiting period is one reason that I hate Maruti. Waited 4.5 months to get my Swift VDi.

I think this waiting period is caused partially due to Maruti, because they are overconfident that people will wait and partially because of the dealers, since they encourage 'influence' and are minting money.
Else, how would only Zxi and ZDi have delivery issues and only White, Silver, Black, Red have higher waiting period. Maruti have understood our markets well and are smart enough to know which color people prefer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I would urge buyers to be patient and delay their purchases till this craze is over.
Don't worry, the waiting period won't come down. They have not solved the Swift's waiting period problem for 3 years. I don't see them solving this problem for next few years.

But I seriously wish that Maruti wakes up before it too late.

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 13th May 2008 at 22:08.
Old 14th May 2008, 02:29   #24
ECM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I would suggest a group of Dziring members go give a huge KNOCK on Maruti's doors.
Ask them for an explanation for a solution to a problem that started 3 years back with the Swift petrol .
Agree and that is why I have asked for some tel nos/email/contact details of MUL officials,if possible please share.

Last edited by ECM : 14th May 2008 at 02:30.
Old 14th May 2008, 07:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

They say that price is influenced by supply and demand. But I am happy that Maruti has resisted the temptation to jack up the price of the car. If this was Skoda or Honda, they would have done exactly that.

That said, it is baffling because the Dezire should be made on the Esteem production line which had enough capacity methinks.
Old 14th May 2008, 07:31   #26
BHPian

The fact is that as long as MSIL has genuine fans like you guys (who are willing to wait for a long time to get a Maruti product), they will not do anything about it.

Why should they? It makes perfect business sense to keep the loooong waiting periods & create a artificial demand.

They have done this successfully with Swift. Even after 2-3 years of introducing the car they've managed to keep the waiting period at a good level. while they could've increased the production and cleared the waiting list. And for Gods sake they can surely sustain the increased production levels.

Indian mentality High Demand/ Waiting period = Fantastic CAR
(I'm definitely not implying that Swift/dzire is bad)

Last month I helped one of my clients get a Swift VDI in just 2 weeks by pulling some strings at Mandovi. And I am pretty sure that he dint get any one else's car.

And its a known fact that almost all the dealers are charging a premium for early deliveries. Of course nothing Official about it.

The Solution = Mass Cancellation

Hit them where it hurts the most and they will have no choice but put their act together.
Old 14th May 2008, 08:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

The Swift is one good selling car BUT it still cannot meet sales figures of other smaller cars like Santro, i10 , Indica. These cars sell almost 3 times the figure individually of a Swift.

BUT MUL chooses to keep their customers waiting rather than increasing producton capacity. I feel a part of all this is Hype created artificially.

Also as many mentioned above in the thread, pulling a few strings can get you a car very soon. It all just depends. Swift Diesel in Agra has a 14 - 21 day waiting list.

DeZire VDI & ZDI is having a 2 week wait time in Agra. Now that turns away so many customers here because people here would not wait even for a week and will buy something else.

i10 is one of the best selling cars right now, I went to Hyundai's showroom and they had at least 30 i10's in stock and I could pick and choose whatever Variant / Colour if I wanted. Now that is what a customer wants today. Why can't MUL do this, despite being India's largest Car Manufacturer ?
Old 14th May 2008, 10:07   #28
Senior - BHPian

One possible reason for delays in Dezire/ Swift/ SX4 could be internal priorities of Maruti.

Its cash cows are Alto and Wagon R, and they are almost always available off the shelf. In mumbai, Alto was available in any color/variant combination in the yard when I booked mine.

Maybe Maruti tilts it (limited) production capacity towards cars that generate more $$$ for Maruti.

And I agree that as customers, we should be prepared to walk off the table if a company asks for a absurd waiting period. We are not living in 80s any more.
Old 14th May 2008, 10:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
it reminds me of the situation that prevailed at the time the SX4 ws launched. Now that the company has ramped up production an the pent up demand is over, the car is available off the shelf.

In case of the Swift and the Dzire the very affordabilit of the car is attracting people in huge numbers. This is a temporary situation and is likely to get eased in the next 3 to 6 months. As far as the Diesel engined cars are concerned Maruti seems to ave been very conservative in setting up a limited capacity engine plant. This plant has to meet export orders as well as a result of which there is not much available to service the domestic demand. Although MSIL is expanding capacity, it takes time for such huge capacity to come up and understandably the manufacturers are hesitant to come up with huge capacities which they will not be able to utilise consistently.
Old 14th May 2008, 11:16   #30
BHPian

Hey Guys!!!

I went in to book the DZire the very same day it was launched.
I went in to the dealers yard and they had around10 DZires there except in White and Silver color. I was offered the same day delivery. But my preference was Silky Silver.

So, I was told to book the car and was promised a delivery in a week. However, that was not the case. I finally got my Silky Silver DZire VDi on 30th April, almost a month after the booking.

It was not at all easy. I went in their yard every alternate day. 4 Silver DZire VDi were sold before my car was delivered despite the fact that mine was the first booking in that color.

I had a lot of arguments with sales person. Then I was communicating directly with their sales manager. I asked a friend of mine to call them and tell them that he is ready to pay the premium for DZire. And, he was promised an immediate delivery.

I then went in to see the sales manager and threatened to file a complaint against him in Maruti.

Maruti is totally against selling cars on premium. If they find out that a dealer is selling cars on premium they will stop giving him any cars for minimum of 2 months and in worst case scenario, their dealership could be canceled as well.

Anyways, I got my car in almost a month with a lot of effort.

The main problem is that, DZire and Swift are made on the same platform. MUL do not have capacity to fulfill the demand.

Most Viewed