Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2008, 14:42   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
I guess the Splash would replace the Wagon R .
Feb-March launch for Splash would be good , that too it has the DDIS under its hood!!!
Yes, Splash with DDiS would be great combination.
But, I dont think that Wagon R will be replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
WagonR is India's second largest selling car.
Splash would be positioned just above WR/Estilo and A-Star just above Alto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Guys, Splash will not replace the WagonR. Splash will be an alternative to the Swift. Also, there could be chances that A-star will replace the WagonR.

The recent Autocar also states that A-star might compete with i10.

I dont think that Wagon R will be replaced given that is selling well plus the car has now got a following.
Splash would be mostly competing with i10 and hopefully will come with 1.2 from Suzuki.
I am still now clear about the positioning of A-star. Could be replacement of Zen Estilo as new "Zen".
Old 23rd July 2008, 21:41   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, there could be chances that A-star will replace the WagonR.

The recent Autocar also states that A-star might compete with i10.
A-Star will not replace any car . A-star will be sold alongwith Alto . Alto will continue till 2010 , then there will be a facelift for the Alto. With Zen Estilo sales quite poor compared to Wagon R i would be surprised if MSIL slowly phases it out . But i bet most of them will miss the Zen Brand! Im sure MSIL is quite confused where to position A Star & Splash!
Old 24th July 2008, 13:38   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A-Star will not replace any car . A-star will be sold alongwith Alto . Alto will continue till 2010 , then there will be a facelift for the Alto.
Facelift for Alto? ACI mentions so right? But I hope they phase the Alto and 800 slowly.

Quote:
But i bet most of them will miss the Zen Brand! Im sure MSIL is quite confused where to position A Star & Splash!
By discontinuing the Estilo, no one will miss the Zen brand buddy. The Zen was everything that the Estilo is not. The Swift P is the only car that has taken the Zen attributes forward.

And regarding positioning, my guess is, A-star will be positioned about 10-20K below the WagonR and the Splash will be priced on par with the Swift, if not costlier.
Old 24th July 2008, 15:25   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And regarding positioning, my guess is, A-star will be positioned about 10-20K below the WagonR and the Splash will be priced on par with the Swift, if not costlier.
Yup even i feel A-star will be cheaper than the Wagon R. But ACI claims A star will compete with i10!!!
Old 24th July 2008, 17:19   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But ACI claims A star will compete with i10!!!
Have they revealed any hint on powerplant/s for A-star ?

If this is so, then where will the Splash go ? Is there more about the positioning of Splash also in ACI ?

I think that A-star will be between Alto and Wagon R. Splash will be between Wagon R and Swift.
Old 24th July 2008, 17:36   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Have they revealed any hint on powerplant/s for A-star ?

If this is so, then where will the Splash go ? Is there more about the positioning of Splash also in ACI ?

I think that A-star will be between Alto and Wagon R. Splash will be between Wagon R and Swift.

A-star will 1st get the 1.0 P engine. Later it might get the 1.2 P engine that Splash will get , the 1.2 A star will compete with Kappa.
Old 25th July 2008, 18:27   #202
BANNED

Maruti Swift Dzire is a huge hit as far as sales numbers and performance is considered. It sells more than 4000 per month.

But whatever be the sales numbers and performance of Swift Dzire prove, the car is out-of proportion when we compare front and back side profiles. The Swift hatch is a near-perfect design, but Dzire is not. From direct front view, it is OK, as Swift hatch. From direct back view also, it is OK - looks like a fresh design in Indian roads. But from the side views - from any angle, the design is out-of-proportion. Even it has an Ambassador-like look from some angles.

A small change - from the visual point of view, not from mechanical point of view - can make it a very good looking car. It can be easily made proportionate by changing its sharp-bending A-pillar-to-roof join area to a curvaceous design, just like that of Esteem A-pillar.
Old 25th July 2008, 19:16   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Maruti Swift Dzire is a huge hit as far as sales numbers and performance is considered. It sells more than 4000 per month.

But whatever be the sales numbers and performance of Swift Dzire prove, the car is out-of proportion when we compare front and back side profiles. The Swift hatch is a near-perfect design, but Dzire is not. From direct front view, it is OK, as Swift hatch. From direct back view also, it is OK - looks like a fresh design in Indian roads. But from the side views - from any angle, the design is out-of-proportion. Even it has an Ambassador-like look from some angles.

A small change - from the visual point of view, not from mechanical point of view - can make it a very good looking car. It can be easily made proportionate by changing its sharp-bending A-pillar-to-roof join area to a curvaceous design, just like that of Esteem A-pillar.
Hey, whatever you said is absolutely correct.
The only thing is this does not belong to this thread.
Old 25th July 2008, 19:33   #204
BANNED

Quote:
Yup even i feel A-star will be cheaper than the Wagon R. But ACI claims A star will compete with i10!!!
ACI can always make mistakes too. Especially when it comes to their predictions about prices and positioning.

A Star as of now looks like a definite gap filler between Alto and WagonR. And the Splash is the next step after WagonR. Yes, that's my thoughts.
Old 25th July 2008, 20:42   #205
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
It can be easily made proportionate by changing its sharp-bending A-pillar-to-roof join area to a curvaceous design, just like that of Esteem A-pillar.
I think that would make it an ambassador.

Anyways, DZire strong points are not looks, and i dont think Maruti will make any changes to it, as it has a long demand, and they have few cars slated for launch soon.
Old 26th July 2008, 12:01   #206
BHPian

As per Interview from MSIL India head, The Splash would be positioned in the segemnt of Swift. They will not phase out the Wagon R.

In UK also the car is more expensive then the swift but in India it might get the benifit of 1.2 litre unit.
Old 26th July 2008, 12:06   #207
BHPian

The Splash is sold as the Opel Agila in European markets, shud be a intresting one hope Suzuki gets the same version and not cut down on the features list.
Old 26th July 2008, 14:48   #208
Senior - BHPian

ACI also mentions that the 1242cc unit of Splash will be reduced to below 1200cc for the tax reasons. The unit will be barely able to make 80bhp.

Now if ACI is correct ( here most probably they are correct ) this is surely not good for Suzuki. The car develops less power than Swift, has less wheelbase, less boot space, but will be more expensive than the Swift. This is recepie for disaster.

More over, the popularity of Swift along with proven powertrian will lure buyers towards Swift.

Now I am going more curious about the positioning of Splash and A-star. A-star will have 1.0 ltr, approx. 60bhp, 3 cylinder engine. So it wont be against i10 1.2, but will be against Santro 1.1, i10 1.1 and Xeta.

Splash will have to compete with i10 1.2 head on. On no basis Splash can go in the Swift segment.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 26th July 2008 at 14:49.
Old 26th July 2008, 15:52   #209
BANNED

For the Splash to make any movement in the market, it should be positioned in between WagonR and Swift. Not above it.

Being Maruti, I don't think they'll goof up in positioning of these cars. I pray!
Old 27th July 2008, 09:08   #210
Senior - BHPian

With the new cars being launched, a number of new engines are also round the corner. Starting with the 800 cc three pot ( in the 800 and Alto), there is the 1.1 doing duty in the Wagon R and the Estilo. Joining these will be the 1 litre 3 pot for th A Star and the 1.2 litre 4 cylinder engine for the Splash. The Swift already has the 1.3 l DDIS and the 1.3L petrol engine. Also on the cards is the smal 1 litre diesel for the A Star .MSIL would do well to phase out some of the existing engines and rztionalise its power train portfolio. A rev happy 1.2 litre engine in the Swift would also make it eligible for the small car excise duty and help MSIL further improve its margins.

Confusing/ exciting times for MSIL as far a the small car market is concerned.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks