Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2009, 11:58   #181
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Believe me, it is different.

See this, just one of the several videos.
Man, this is insane. Wonder how many SUVs (so called) in the market can do this.
Old 11th April 2009, 17:45   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
20L is way too much considering this based on the Innova's IMV platform!
Toyota knows it will have buyers making a beeline at this price too.
20 Lakhs is too much a premium for Fortuner. In Thailand it is sold at a price approximately 25% higher than innova. There is a treaty between India and Thailand which allows Toyota to import parts at no customs duty. So in India I guess it should be sold at the same price difference compared to Innova. Will be more than happy change my Innova if Fortuner is available at around 12.50 lakhs.

For Price Difference in Thailand:
Toyota Motor Thailand Co.,Ltd. - Showroom
Old 13th April 2009, 18:48   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
Will be more than happy change my Innova if Fortuner is available at around 12.50 lakhs.
Maybe why Toyota doesn't want to price them so close together, to avoid cannibalizing its own innova sales..
Old 13th April 2009, 19:46   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For Price Difference in Thailand:
Toyota Motor Thailand Co.,Ltd. - Showroom
hey, nice link Thanks. I think the premium is coz its coming as a CBU rather than being manufactured here. If you look at the prices it around 25% costlier than Innova and about 10% cheaper than Camry in there.

Interestingly Altis in Thailand is cheaper than Innova, and Yaris, a hatch is pricier than Vios. Case of "Sedan" positioning in India?
Old 14th April 2009, 11:55   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
hey, nice link Thanks. I think the premium is coz its coming as a CBU rather than being manufactured here.
Both Innova and Fortuner are based on global IMV Platform of Toyota. So I believe there should not be much of a problem for them to manufacture Fortuner on the Innova on same production lines. Further imports of parts from Thailand does not attract any duty. So if Toyota can price it competitively then it will get steam out the sales of Endeavour, CRV, Captiva and Highend Scorpios and Safaris and some sedans as well. With price differences of Rs. 2 to 3 lakhs Innova can definately survive and do well.
Old 14th April 2009, 12:36   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both Innova and Fortuner are based on global IMV Platform of Toyota. So I believe there should not be much of a problem for them to manufacture Fortuner on the Innova on same production lines. Further imports of parts from Thailand does not attract any duty. So if Toyota can price it competitively then it will get steam out the sales of Endeavour, CRV, Captiva and Highend Scorpios and Safaris and some sedans as well. With price differences of Rs. 2 to 3 lakhs Innova can definately survive and do well.
If honda can make hay while the sun shines, why not toyota!
Old 14th April 2009, 12:46   #187
BHPian

I would love to see TATA give us a world class SUV @ fair price (especially when they own technical knowhow from JLR). I would love to see TATA motors pound these japanese and europeans into submission....Till then ,these Japanese and Europeans will continue to make hay come sunshine or monsoons by selling their products at obnoxious prices.
Old 14th April 2009, 13:12   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Will be more than happy change my Innova if Fortuner is available at around 12.50 lakhs.
Its highly unlikely that it will be sold at that price or something close to that.

The 4cyl petrol version of Fortuner sells for roughly Rs 13.5 Lac in the middle east. The Corolla (1.8L) is sold in the middle east for Rs 9.5 Lac's and it costs Rs 13 Lac's in India. So I guess you can expect the Diesel version of fortuner to be somewhere in the range of 15-20 Lac range.

I might be wrong here, just my observation.
Old 14th April 2009, 14:01   #189

One factor to estimate the Fortuner pricing in India is the exchange rate between Thailand and India. By this estimation, the Thai pricing of around 12 lac baht should translate to an Indian pricing of 17 lac INR (1THB = 1.4INR).

The other factor that Toyota India will consider is the general lack of paucity of good SUV options in the Indian market below 20L. A 20 year old Pajero model retails at 20L, Ford's Endy is 16-18L, while soft roaders like Captiva, CRV and Outlander are all 20+. Given this market scenario, I would be really pleasantly surprised if Fortuner comes in at anything below 18 lacs.
My heart is totally egging Toyota on to price it around 14-15 , but my head is saying 18-20 . In either case, the Fortuner would be my next SUV upgrade from the Safari, the pricing would impact the timing of the purchase.
Old 14th April 2009, 14:54   #190
BHPian

I'm finding difficulties in justifying anything more than 14-15 lacs for the Toyota Fortuner which as many have said is based on the IMV platform.

I haven't gone through the tech specs in deep, but other than the brand value, is it so much different from a 4x4 Safari to command such a hefty premium?

I don't think we are talking in the realms of chalk and cheese. Can any informed souls do a comparo?

I hope Toyota prices it sensibly.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 14th April 2009 at 14:55.
Old 14th April 2009, 15:32   #191
Senior - BHPian

check out the various problems reported by safari owners across our forum.
Most of them swear not to go by tata again.
that is the difference Between Toyota and Tata.Tata even if buys 50% of the car company's in the world(which aint going to happen,at least for the next 10-15 years, their quality will not reach the European, japs,American,Brits or Koreans for the matter of fact.Unless they Cut and paste directly from a range rover to a safari.(i know im being very harsh here but,I hope im proved wrong and tata takes charge)
Old 14th April 2009, 15:40   #192
Senior - BHPian

What I find absolutely amazing is how companies like Toyota, Honda, Mitsu and VW think there is a great market in India for cars priced above $40k in India. That is pricey in the West as well, let alone India.

I understand that taxes here are more than places like the US but I think these companies are just lazy when they don't localize and choose to import instead. Also their strategy varies across their product range - for example, a Civic is decently priced while the CR-V is exorbitant. In contrast, VW is off the charts with the Civic-sized Jetta priced more than the Accord.

The upper middle-class sweet spot for car pricing in India, like it is abroad, is $20-25k. The success of the Civic and Innova shows that. Coming back to the topic of this thread, the Fortuner being built on the same platform as the Innova means little when it comes to final pricing - isn't the CR-V built on the same platform as the Civic? The Fortuner is going to charge a premium for its diesel engine (when compared with the competition) and Toyota badge. I may not agree with that but for a large company like Toyota, India is too insignificant and they will be happy with small numbers. In the meantime, this situation will allow players like Mahindra and Tata to hone their skills, improve their products because they can manufacture cars at the right price. For some of us the wait for a well-built SUV at a decent price may be too long...

Last edited by StarScream : 14th April 2009 at 15:43.
Old 14th April 2009, 15:54   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I agree with you guys. Given the platform sharing with the Innova, i think a premium of abotu 3 lakhs over the Innova would give them a good profit margin. However I think they will follow the lead of others and price it in the 18 to 22 range. Why not? people are willing to pay this premium.

The only way foreign manufacturs will lower the price is if Mahindra or Tata sell a world class SUV at about 15 lakhs. Honestly I am pinning my hopes in the next gen Tata Safari (if it ever comes out) or the next global SUV from Mahindra.

I love Toyota products and I can afford a budget of 20 lakhs, but I cannot get myself to pay a 100% premium over a decent Tata/Mahindra product. I doubt any of the import SUVs sold in the 20 lakhs bracket are twice as good as a high end scropio or Safari. My logic is that I can buy a Safari/Scorpio for half the cost and upgrade to a much more newer version three years down the line when hopefully we will have more choices rather than pay a ridicululous premium just because it has a Honda/Toyota/Mitsu emblem !!
Old 14th April 2009, 19:03   #194
BHPian

The Fortuner will be coming as a Knock down kit from Thailand and will be assembled in Banglore, the Prado and the Land Cruiser will be coming as CBU like it currently is coming.
Old 14th April 2009, 20:35   #195
Senior - BHPian

As a happy Corolla owner since 3/2007, the launch of Fortuner gives me an option for a new car in say 2012 (to replace not the Corolla, but the Corsa). Perhaps an expected launch of smaller car will be better for me.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks