Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2009, 19:24   #826
Senior - BHPian

Got a chance to see the XYLO. The vehicle does not really deserve the flak it has received on this thread IMHO. There was a SCORPIO owner driving it on test and he was able to chuck it around with ease and the vehicle seemed very eager. The vehicle did seem narrow and the last seats folded makes it a four seater. The rear tail lights are really awesome. The build quality is also cool, and the vehicle looks much better inside outside when you look at it close up. Which other manufacturer has thought of recesses in the ceiling so that passengers don't bang their heads against it. Very good effort.

Whoever is against it, wait till the stripped down XYLO comes, with body coloured bumpers, no power windows, no air-conditioning and no power steering and smothers the competition.

Me thinks the INNOVA facelift is going to be 'still-born'. TOYOTA is neck deep in financial difficulty and might just roll over and die in INDIA.
Old 18th January 2009, 19:46   #827
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
the xylo didnt catch my eye on first sight...it was the same reaction when the scorpio was first launched..but i guess we'll get used to it over time as with the scorpio in spite of its design quirks..it'll do very well in the market IMO..
i second that. had a fleeting glance at the xylo . in the pics it was looking ugly. but in flesh it was ok, not so ugly but ofcourse not handsome.

i guess we will get used to it.
Old 18th January 2009, 20:37   #828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkunaldas View Post
i second that. had a fleeting glance at the xylo . in the pics it was looking ugly. but in flesh it was ok, not so ugly but ofcourse not handsome.

i guess we will get used to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Got a chance to see the XYLO. The vehicle does not really deserve the flak it has received on this thread IMHO. Whoever is against it, wait till the stripped down XYLO comes, with body coloured bumpers, no power windows, no air-conditioning and no power steering and smothers the competition.

Me thinks the INNOVA facelift is going to be 'still-born'. TOYOTA is neck deep in financial difficulty and might just roll over and die in INDIA.
after many such comments, i feel the xylo is not that ugly as described in this thread. many are actually okay with the looks of the vehicle after they see it in flesh.

i think the pictures are at fault here! i am truly impressed with the interiors anyhow, thats what matters in a MUV.
Old 18th January 2009, 21:37   #829
Team-BHP Support

Took a look at it today. Was no big deal. My Scorpio owning friend with me was consideirng it but walked out saying it looed tacky. i.e. the rear picnic trays look dodgy. Fit and finish was rough. Only attraction is price.

For peace of mind, I would look at the Innova
Old 18th January 2009, 21:56   #830
Senior - BHPian

I had my first detailed look at the Xylo yesterday, the interiors are very well done, lots of space and leg room when compared to a Scorpio & similar to an Innova.

All the cars on display had a black & silver interior, which actually looked good. My only grouse is the main instrument panel it looks real amaturish and plain. The drive assist panel is cool with a lot of information.

The gear shift is also better than the earlier Mahindra cars (not counting Logan here), though the odd angle of the shift is still there.

The seating position is grand, the 2nd row & last row seat leg room isquiet decent.

The AC vents are well designed & so is the positioning of the roof mounted A/C.

The complete roll down of 2nd row seat to make place to go to the 3rs row is excellent, something I (rather the passengers) sorely miss in the Scorpio.

The front grill in flesh actually looks good & so do the headlights, the photographs really do not do justice to the front.

The ski rack would have enhanced the looks on the top, none of the models displayed sported that.

The back could have been better, little said the better, as it has been disussed earlier.

Over a neat, value for money package thats what I feel.

I couldnt take the TD due to the long queue & my preoccupation with the work on my Scorpio.
Old 19th January 2009, 09:31   #831
Senior - BHPian

To add to Mupreti, The car looks ok in flesh. The drive has been above average with the occasional M&M 'roll'!!

Overall a good package for the cost!! True VFM!!
Old 19th January 2009, 10:27   #832
BHPian

Happened to watch the Car & Bike Show on NDTV Profit yesterday. The Xylo in Java Brown, Black & Red looked better than the images on th Xylo website. But the interior upholstery seem to be finished poorly.
Old 19th January 2009, 10:45   #833
BHPian

This is what I felt :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
The front of this vehicle reminds me of Darth Vader in Star Wars.

Reminds me of the doggy van in Dumb and Dumber.

And in CnB, the styling department head was saying " The face is all Mahindra. I think the most striking aspect is the "GRILL" " Fell off my chair
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Ingenio -Officially announced as XYLO EDIT: Celebration Edition on Page 60-699.jpg  

Old 19th January 2009, 12:01   #834
Senior - BHPian

The base XYLO comes for 7.55 on road, with all the bells and whistles, central locking, all power windows, AC and power-steering. A similar specd INNOVA would be 9 lakhs, which is a cool 1.5 lakh difference.

Imagine the misery TOYOTA is going through, they are releasing a face lifted INNOVA, and they can't even dream of increasing the price, they will in fact have to offer a discount. Imagine all the development costs of a face-lift will have to be written off as loss
Old 19th January 2009, 12:32   #835
Senior - BHPian

Toyota is launching a facelift of INnova not only in India but wherever it sells.. so the cost to make the facelift changes would be divided all accross the areas where it is sold and India might be get a small chunk as a loss. which Toyota is capable to cover up by launching special editions or increasing margins in other models...
Old 19th January 2009, 12:34   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin-jo View Post
Reminds me of the doggy van in Dumb and Dumber.

And in CnB, the styling department head was saying " The face is all Mahindra. I think the most striking aspect is the "GRILL" " Fell off my chair
But I SEriously think that the Grill is the most striking aspect. Its the signature Mahindra Grill and goes a long way in giving that tough look to the vehicle
Old 19th January 2009, 13:54   #837
jp1
BHPian

Y'day saw the car and bike show on NDTV and the Xylo was looking good than what was made out to be. It has certain distinct style , a serious no nonsense look unlike the competition. Also about the body roll, it was mentioned that Mahindra has taken care that in Xylo.
Old 19th January 2009, 13:58   #838
Senior - BHPian

I went to the Xylo showroom yesterday. At 8.00 PM on a sunday, the showroom was open and there were people checking out the MPV. The showroom folks were nice and humble and were offering test drives. I didn't drive the car as I was getting late but saw the interiors, space etc etc. The Xylo gets 10/10 here on space.

OT: The lady attending me was very pretty. She was more than willing to take my picture along with the Xylo. Will post it soon. And I was wondering why can't she be in the snap as well
Old 19th January 2009, 14:40   #839
BHPian

I saw & TEST DROVE the XYLO today. I didn't like it that much, it's kind of okay. The things I didn't like:

1. The FRONT, could've been much better.
2. The HANDLES aren't aligned properly to their holders.
3. The CONVENIENCE LIGHT in the cabin was almost falling off & loose, it wouldn't stay in it's position.
4. The GAP in the rear door was too much.
The drive wasn't very good either. Space is good, but FIT & FINISH could've been better. That's from my side.

CHEERS,
G D
Old 19th January 2009, 15:17   #840
BHPian

I threw up a little inside my mouth when i saw this horrendous looking thing in neon green rolling on the roads.

Honestly it is one of the worst looking cars i have come across. The designer for the the headlights, rear passenger windows need to be shot.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks