Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2008, 23:23   #106
BHPian

Scorpio AT test Drive

I have test driven both MHawk AT and Manual and I enjoyed the smooth power delivery of Manual one and I expected the same performance from AT. One thing that really looked and felt nice was absence of awkward shaped gear lever from Manual however I am not sure if there was some specific problem with test drive vehicle as the engine did not feel that smooth with AT moreover ABS light was on and it didn't break in straight line. I am going to try again after some days...if the performace is as smooth as manual version, AT version would be very comfortable and hassle free.
Old 10th October 2008, 08:37   #107
Senior - BHPian

As per ET today, the sales of AT is increasing for most brands, lady drivers love it. The M&M AT is a hot favorite, TD of AT is more done by lady drivers ( as reported by the ASC), initial nigglies are not as big as they had feared, indicating that M&M had done some house cleaning.

The iI0 AT sales has caught Hundai by surprise, they projected about 400 units per month; now selling around 1600 per month, they are scaling up fast !!!!!

Spurred by the development, Captiva will also roll out their AT and 4x4 at around 20 L, this will make it very attractive price and feature wise.

--Ramky
==========

Last edited by ramkya1 : 10th October 2008 at 08:43.
Old 10th October 2008, 09:16   #108
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I had a TD of the 2.2 MHawk Scorp AT last weekend.

Very nice vehicle, very light steering etc and easy to drive. Of course it certainly doesnt have the same pull and pickup of the manual in first and second gear, but then, it is adequate and advantage clearly is that it is absolutely perfect for city driving.

I took it on normal city roads, some empty stretches of good road, went over speed breakers and bumps and then took it onto bad terrain with broken road.

On the bad broken road, frankly I missed my manual gear shifting but as an AT, I feel the vehicle performed very well.

Then to test it I placed the selector in drive at the bottom of a 35-40 degree incline and drove it up - it went very smoothly with no real great effort.

I went back down and tried reversing up the same incline - again the vehicle went up smoothly with no great effort.

All in all, it is a great vehicle for city SUV buyers and gives a lot of much needed rest to one's left foot.

A disadvantage could be the FE of course which would be about 10-15% less than the equivalent manual version.

This vehicle was also lighter in feel than the 2.6 Crde as also the MT Hawk 2.2. I cant understand why exactly.

Handling is much the same as the regular MT 2.2 Hawk - which is better of course than the standard 2.6.

Suspension I felt to be very good especially going over speed bumps and speed breakers, slowing down of course.

Braking I found to be more than adequate at the speeds I was driving at. I only hit about 80-100 for short stretches.

All in all - good alternative choice given todays vicious bumper to bumper traffic in most cities. Ideal if one wants a City SUV and let a Chauffeur drive it with one, enjoying back seat comfort. Also Ideal if one wants to self drive. It is true that most people can drive this very easily and ladies in particular will enjoy it greatly.

Expensive vehicle though, when compared with the manual. But I suppose people who prefer the comfort of AT, will not mind stretching to meet the price.

This is my feedback on the TD.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 10th October 2008 at 09:18.
Old 10th October 2008, 11:49   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

Very nice vehicle, very light steering etc and easy to drive. Of course it certainly doesnt have the same pull and pickup of the manual in first and second gear, but then, it is adequate and advantage clearly is that it is absolutely perfect for city driving.

Thanks a lot for your review Shankar. Appreciate your efforts for having put the verhicle through a lot of steps and neatly documented the response.

I am seriously considering this verhicle for myself. Just waiting on some vehicle scheme that my company is supposed to roll out any time now.
Old 10th October 2008, 12:06   #110
Senior - BHPian

good TD Shankar.balan..How was the accelaration 0-100 etc, any approx times you judged? Also, what is the top speed of the AT Scorp?

Cheers
Old 10th October 2008, 12:12   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Shankar,

How is the gear shift? Is there substantial lag? And any jerk while shifting?
Does it hold the gear very well uphill/downhill ? Does it hunt for gears?

Thanks,
Anand
Old 10th October 2008, 12:13   #112
Senior - BHPian

That's something very appreciable Shankar !! I hope you aren't lured towards exchanging yours one with AT

Again, I hope tata should launch an AT Safari 2.2 someday !!
Old 10th October 2008, 13:36   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

, but then, it is adequate and advantage clearly is that it is absolutely perfect for city driving.

All in all, it is a great vehicle for city SUV buyers and gives a lot of much needed rest to one's left foot.

A disadvantage could be the FE of course which would be about 10-15% less than the equivalent manual version.

This vehicle was also lighter in feel than the 2.6 Crde as also the MT Hawk 2.2. I cant understand why exactly.

Handling is much the same as the regular MT 2.2 Hawk - which is better of course than the standard 2.6.

Expensive vehicle though, when compared with the manual. But I suppose people who prefer the comfort of AT, will not mind stretching to meet the price.

This is my feedback on the TD.
Hai Shankar,

Nice report on your TD.

The USP for AT is ease of driving in the dense city traffic, its a great load off your left foot.

The loss in mielage would be more than compensated with the joy of riding, people evaluate this trade-off before a decision.

2.2 wold be lighter than 2.6, I think the weight reduciton is about 70-100 kgs (don't know exactly).

I think, in all other aspects the AT would be equal to the mHwak.

Would be interesting to know what is the response / sale of AT at various cities, anybody having any information through Dealers / contacts etc.,?
--Ramky
=====
Old 10th October 2008, 17:45   #114
Senior - BHPian

hey ramky, the 2.2 is lighter than the 2.6 by about 80 kgs and thats due to the reduction in the engine weight.
shankar, very very very good review but the AT should be heavier because normally ATs are heavier than MTs...
Old 11th October 2008, 02:05   #115
BHPian

Has anyone bought an AT at BHP, it would certainly provide better perspective, I am keenly waiting for feedback however the current status doesn't show any enthusiasm.
Old 11th October 2008, 06:46   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
The iI0 AT sales has caught Hundai by surprise, they projected about 400 units per month; now selling around 1600 per month, they are scaling up fast !!!!!
I read this article in ET. I too was so surprised about this. Still wondering why the Santro was not able to make it before?
Old 15th October 2008, 13:32   #117
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

@ananth - thanks
@raj5004-thanks. just that I felt the AT to be a bit lighter than the manual.
@ramky - thanks
@asthedivx - no exchange boss -am happy with my MT Scorp 2.6 for the moment!!
@headers - didnt time the 0-100 run - again Im not terribly bothered (personally) about the time taken from 0-100. I DO like the pickup though - especially while overtaking other vehicles on a clear stretch of road.
@anandpadhye - no perceptible lag at all. no jerking etc. However, while the AT gears are good and the vehicle changes gears without fuss etc, I find personally that it changes upwards a bit too early for my liking - thats probably because I m used only to MT vehicles and tend to charge in a lower gear up the rev gauge a bit before changing to a higher gear. However, having not driven it for a length of time up in a hilly place, its difficult for me to surmise whether it will hold the lower gear while going up an incline, for a longer time or not.
cheers
Old 20th October 2008, 23:06   #118
BHPian

Quote:
. However, having not driven it for a length of time up in a hilly place, its difficult for me to surmise whether it will hold the lower gear while going up an incline, for a longer time or not.
cheers
On hilly surface when it come s to upshifting the knock sensor s do the duty well and do not let you upshift as per your whim and fancy (atleast that s what the honda civic does) and i think this auto has already made it s debut in the australian and american market (correct me if am wrong) The market for auto s especially in the U S is very demanding when it come s to autobox right ? Mahindra has done their homework well with this one it seem s !!
Old 22nd October 2008, 12:33   #119
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio AT at 12.37 L On road in Delhi.
Old 22nd December 2008, 19:11   #120
BHPian

Friends, still no one bought a Scorpio AT? Hmm... does that signify a complete lack of confidence in the vehicle?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks