Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2008, 22:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio A/T (automatic transmission)

SCORPIO VLX AT:

The much awaited Scorpio mHawak AT has officially arrived, just saw on the TV, M&M announcement of commercial availability in December, 2008.

Some information on the same Road Test by Autocar, source of metrics Autocar, Sep, 08.

From the outside its almost same as the present one except for the badge Automatic on the rear door and the smaller hubcaps. There's a dead pedal, the gearbox is programmed to upshift soon as possible, but lacks the Josh start of the MT from a dead stop. In city speeds, the box needs tweaking as it hunts too much between gears, very irritating for enthusiastic drivers who tuck in and out of traffic. The FE takes a hit, naturally for a AT, city 9 kmpl and impressive 13.2 on the highway due the efficiency of the overdrive.

The weight goes up by 70 Kgs, drive train is from Australia, Inernational System, mated well with the mHwak, this gear box, reportedly is time-tested on the Korean Ssand Yong Actyon and Actyon Sports pickup.

Something on the wishlist of the tester: Safety lock to prevent gear liver into Reverse / Park, no display to indicate what gear you're in.

Estimated Road price: 11.3 L, which is very attractve.

IMO, at this price and catagory there's no competition, if they reduce the trimmings a little bit, sub 10L, this would be a blow-out package.

It would be great to see other TBHpers comments and insights.

--Ramky
========

Last edited by ramkya1 : 3rd September 2008 at 23:03.
Old 4th September 2008, 00:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Great, now more clueless women drivers will buy this.
Old 4th September 2008, 07:54   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

A Scorp & AT : that's what I would call an oxy-moron.

@v1p3r, very well said.
Old 4th September 2008, 09:20   #4
BHPian

A scorpio with AT is like a scorpion without its sting. AT would suit a softroader but not a butch looking SUV like the scorpio.
Old 4th September 2008, 09:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thats a good news and the price is really competitive. As you said, if its sub-10lac (which we doubt) then its a sure hit.
Btw, I always thought that the AT version is very expensive than normal one. So, how come this is almost same price as Manual one (currnet mHawk)?
Old 4th September 2008, 10:02   #6
BHPian

great news . this is what I had been waiting for since ages and had picked up VLX this June. Would love to test drive and go for it if doesnt feel underpowered. Any info on the number of gears ( AT - 5 speed or 4 speed?) would be appreaciated and does it have other specifics as that of VLX trim?
Old 4th September 2008, 10:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
great news . this is what I had been waiting for since ages and had picked up VLX this June. Would love to test drive and go for it if doesnt feel underpowered. Any info on the number of gears ( AT - 5 speed or 4 speed?) would be appreaciated and does it have other specifics as that of VLX trim?
The Road Test was on VLX, no other news on other models as of now, the dealer said he'd get back to me, said there would be a bare bone AT version with the price down below 11L, what many people would be hoping for.

v1p3r's predication is likely to come true; I don't know about the "clueless" part

It has 5 + 1 gears, reportedly great on the highway, shifting fluently; but in city bumper-to-bumper traffic hunting gears, maybe they'd re-calibrate the box. From 1st to 4th the gear ratios are said to be tight and hence the hunting. I think in the next 15-20 days, the Test Drive vehicle is expected too hit the ASC, then we'd get more drive experiences from ppl.

Mjyoti: I also wonder if they would be able to offer at the same price of mHwak, there's something missing here.

--Ramky

Last edited by ramkya1 : 4th September 2008 at 10:30.
Old 4th September 2008, 10:31   #8
evo
BHPian

The AT is actually a 6 speed one...quite advanced, atleast on paper.
I think its a good idea. I personally dislike autos, but for so many people I know, it would be a boon. I briefly toyed with the idea of getting an auto car for the office drive in the horrible traffic, but just couldnt get myself to do it!
Old 4th September 2008, 10:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

As Mjothi said, the price of an automatic is always on the higher side as compared to the manual, but here we have them placed so close, if not same! Now how is that possible.

Would have to wait and see if this is what get sold.

And yes, with a automatic and no display as to which mode you are in, I am sure this can be a cause of too many accidents, especially with people putting it in reverse (with the wrong assumption that it is in D) and speed off (or back, rather)! Seems too many of these, that I lost count, while in UAE!
Old 4th September 2008, 11:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Oops - I opened this thread thinking AT meant All Terrain.
Old 4th September 2008, 11:24   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
A scorpio with AT is like a scorpion without its sting. AT would suit a softroader but not a butch looking SUV like the scorpio.
what does at have to do with softroaders? there are enough of suvs that look much more 'butch' than the scorpio and have at.

i think toyota will bring the innova at also.
Old 4th September 2008, 11:24   #12
Team-BHP Support

We had a member here HSV, who was waiting and waiting for a Scorp with an auto option. Now that its come, where has he vanished?
Old 4th September 2008, 12:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Mjyoti: I also wonder if they would be able to offer at the same price of mHwak, there's something missing here.
I read on the forum that there are hefty discounts on the VLX apparently so they're acknowledging that its overpriced. If you knock a lac off the current VLX prices then this AT doesn't come at similar prices, particluarly if it doesn't have all the frills of the VLX?

Steer,
Old 4th September 2008, 12:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I read on the forum that there are hefty discounts on the VLX apparently so they're acknowledging that its overpriced. If you knock a lac off the current VLX prices then this AT doesn't come at similar prices, particluarly if it doesn't have all the frills of the VLX?

Steer,
Though ppl talk of hefty discounts, I don't have first hand news of anyone actually getting ANY; would be interesting to see if anyone has actually got hefty discounts !!!!!

If M&M is able to somehow price a base version in the 10L range; that would be a sucker punch, will have the competition gasping. The nearast AT is the GV, which is 4-5 L more for the petrol one. There's'nt anything near this price on the diesel, under 20 L right now or I'm I missing something?

--
Old 4th September 2008, 12:23   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ramkya1 : I don't know about the "clueless" part
But you can add "lazy" to v1p3r's comment !

Most Viewed