Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2010, 17:05   #1546
BHPian

OMG! it is already expensive at 55.95 rs. If it goes up by another rs.1! damn! petrol is getting dearer! I just wish the crude prices drop to 40 - 45$ PB
Old 8th August 2010, 17:27   #1547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwzd View Post
Mumbai is already the highest price for petrol I think.

Weird.
Not true. Thane has usually been more expensive than Mumbai, currently petrol and diesel are ~Rs. 1.5 more expensive in Thane compared to Mumbai.

BTW, the Oil PSU's had announced a few weeks ago that they would collectively set the fuel prices through consensus every 15 days so that they sell at similar prices.

Is this beneficial for us? What do you guys think about this?
Old 8th August 2010, 18:15   #1548
ada
BHPian

@gomzi, this is nothing but cartelization, how can they talk about free market and arriving at prices by consensus in the same breath, this is bad news. Even after the initial prices there have been no revision in prices, on the higher or lower side, which is again bad news.
Old 8th August 2010, 21:05   #1549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwzd View Post
There was some news of another price rise of Rs.1 / L from monday.

Mumbai is already the highest price for petrol I think.

Weird.
Nope, we pay Rs 57.50 for a litre of ordinary petrol a Hyderabad !
Old 8th August 2010, 21:08   #1550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Nope, we pay Rs 57.50 for a litre of ordinary petrol a Hyderabad !
And we Bangaloreans pay Rs.58.09 for ordinary petrol !
Old 8th August 2010, 21:40   #1551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
@gomzi, this is nothing but cartelization, how can they talk about free market and arriving at prices by consensus in the same breath, this is bad news. Even after the initial prices there have been no revision in prices, on the higher or lower side, which is again bad news.
yes, even my first thought when I read that was CARTEL!
Unfortunately, I do not think aam junta will have a choice in that decision and as always will have to like it or lump it.

Again I wonder when the price revisions will happen.
Old 8th August 2010, 23:09   #1552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
yes, even my first thought when I read that was CARTEL!
Unfortunately, I do not think aam junta will have a choice in that decision and as always will have to like it or lump it.

Again I wonder when the price revisions will happen.
There is news of revision coming by month-end. That would ~Rs 1 per litre petrol.
Oil PSUs may up petrol prices August-end - Money - DNA

On the cartel front, wonder whether private players (shell, reliance, essar) are part of it. How can they be, they need to do things differently to win customers, right?
Old 9th August 2010, 01:34   #1553
BHPian

Quote:
There is news of revision coming by month-end. That would ~Rs 1 per litre petrol.
Oil PSUs may up petrol prices August-end - Money - DNA
A sign of times to come? I'll bet the prices keep rising steadily with momentary falls to placate us. I guess now there's a need for a thread tracking global oil prices and what we pay for it, or track it in this thread itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuboid View Post
On the cartel front, wonder whether private players (shell, reliance, essar) are part of it. How can they be, they need to do things differently to win customers, right?
Petrol is a homogeneous commodity irrespective of who sells it. It will be very difficult for private players to get differentiated without affecting profitability.

The cartel is the PSU's ganging up together to set fuel prices for their outlets collectively.

We the consumers could be worse off due to 2 factors:-
1) From the way I see it, the most inefficient company from this cartel will determine the price. e.g. if Co. A and Co. B can transport their fuel to Mumbai for Rs. X and Co. C for Rs. X+2, then the consensus price will be something Co. C's cost will drive. So we would get fuel at Rs. X+2+Profit% at all outlets whereas we could have got it from the other 2 companies for Rs. X+Profit% if there was no cartel

2) The PSU's collectively have a stranglehold on fuel distribution in India. They can theoretically gain HUGE advantages through mutual collaboration. All this clout can make market entry even more unattractive for private distributors.

What do you guys think?

Note: I dont have a stake in any oil company PSU or Pvt. I'm just a concerned aam aadmi trying to look at developments and what they can mean for me and my passion of cars and driving them.
Old 9th August 2010, 11:04   #1554

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
A sign of times to come? I'll bet the prices keep rising steadily with momentary falls to placate us. I guess now there's a need for a thread tracking global oil prices and what we pay for it, or track it in this thread itself.

Petrol is a homogeneous commodity irrespective of who sells it. It will be very difficult for private players to get differentiated without affecting profitability.

The cartel is the PSU's ganging up together to set fuel prices for their outlets collectively.

We the consumers could be worse off due to 2 factors:-
1) From the way I see it, the most inefficient company from this cartel will determine the price. e.g. if Co. A and Co. B can transport their fuel to Mumbai for Rs. X and Co. C for Rs. X+2, then the consensus price will be something Co. C's cost will drive. So we would get fuel at Rs. X+2+Profit% at all outlets whereas we could have got it from the other 2 companies for Rs. X+Profit% if there was no cartel

2) The PSU's collectively have a stranglehold on fuel distribution in India. They can theoretically gain HUGE advantages through mutual collaboration. All this clout can make market entry even more unattractive for private distributors.

What do you guys think?

Note: I dont have a stake in any oil company PSU or Pvt. I'm just a concerned aam aadmi trying to look at developments and what they can mean for me and my passion of cars and driving them.
No actually the transportation costs are same. For eg if there is a BP refinery in Mumbai and a HP refinery in say Chennai, all BP outlets in Chennai do not transport their refined fuel from Mumbai to Chennai and vice versa. Actually all PSU outlets get their refined fuel from the nearest refinery no matter who owns that refinery.
So next time when you buy premium fuels from IOC or BP or HP, keep in mind, they could be coming from the same refinery.
Then why are the PSUs spending big money on advertising their fuels using stars? Money Laundering PSU style!! Anyway we are paying for that money right.
Old 30th August 2010, 13:24   #1555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
“Petrol price may go up by 50 paise if oil PSUs take a 15-day average of international prices and up to 70 paise if a one month average is taken,” an oil ministry official said. “The new rates will be announced only after August 31 after the Parliament session ends,” he said, requesting anonymity.
Source :
Oil companies set to hike petrol prices by up to 70 paise per litre - Commodities - Markets - The Economic Times
Old 21st September 2010, 12:26   #1556
BHPian

It seems IOC has hiked the petrol price by 27p.

Source : Article Window
Old 21st September 2010, 14:18   #1557
Senior - BHPian

I guess we all need to be ready for "HIKES" dont worry not salary

Fuel goes up and along with almost all the commodity/services cost goes up! minimum fare for auto as of today is 15bucks...
Old 21st September 2010, 16:58   #1558
Senior - BHPian

@ lohithrao Here in Delhi minimum Auto Fare is Rs19 and still they charge around 20% more
Old 9th November 2010, 10:28   #1559
Senior - BHPian

A very small column insert in the local newspaper. Petrol price increased by a further 37 paise.

This is being going on since the decontrol, every 2 weeks prices get increased by sometimes 67 paise sometimes 37 paise and it goes below the radar.

If this is the trend, i fully expect petrol to touch 100 bucks sooner than later. What is going on ?
Old 9th November 2010, 11:23   #1560
BHPian

any idea what is the latest fuel price now in bangalore?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks