Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2010, 13:16   #1501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
I agree to this in some extend. However, in some cases, it is quite dangerous. In india, we don't have designated bike lanes.
This is more perception than reality. Have been riding for 2 years, and a lot many in Bangalore ride regularly as well. Compared to autmobiles, hardly any mishaps at all! Its wayyy safer than on my motorbike, and way less stressful than in the car in city conditions. Once you start riding, taking an automobile out for short city drives seems like a pain, actually.

Last edited by zenx : 27th June 2010 at 13:21.
Old 27th June 2010, 14:01   #1502
BHPian

I bought some shares of HPCL and BPCL sometime back when there were rumours of this news just as to hedge my extra expenses on petrol.

Now, I am hoping that as the fuel prices increase, these companies would make more profit and share prices go up
Old 27th June 2010, 15:26   #1503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Repeating from the Bicycles thread:

The recent fuel price deregulation is another reason to pick a bike (bicycle) up. Keep the driving for the >10km distances, out of city trips etc. For anything within that, cycling is a great, quick, cheap option when alone. Fuel costs are bound to go northwards, and it makes sense to save whatever we can for those times when we really need it/can enjoy it. Sub 20kmph crawls are no fun in cars/motorbikes, but awesome on cycles!
An extremely impractical suggestion considering India's climate. It is impossible anyone to cycle to office everyday in 45 C in summer and 5 C in winter.
Maybe Bangalore is an exception...but certainly not NCR !

OTOH,maybe we need to seriously experiment with gasohol now...at least the price will go down by some Rs without any perceptible change in performance.

Also, the govt tax should be fixed at certain Rs/lit instead of a percent of the sale price....else you know who benefits when prices are hiked !
Old 27th June 2010, 15:33   #1504
BHPian

Quote:
This is more perception than reality. Have been riding for 2 years, and a lot many in Bangalore ride regularly as well. Compared to autmobiles, hardly any mishaps at all! Its wayyy safer than on my motorbike, and way less stressful than in the car in city conditions. Once you start riding, taking an automobile out for short city drives seems like a pain, actually.
Air pollution is another major issue. I have to do 12km each way for my office commute. I had to stop going in two wheeler only due to the high air pollution.
Old 27th June 2010, 16:25   #1505
BHPian

Let me add my one cent. I am against any kind of subsidy be it petroleum products or fertilizers or power. In case of petroleum products, more than 50% component is tax.

Read through following article
The Hindu Business Line : Petrol price de-control to make oil companies richer

Government should reduce taxes on petroleum products and increase the tax base. How many doctors, lawyers or kirana store walas pay tax? In India, you need to have your own business (without investing a penny out of your pocket) to overcome all kinds of tax.
Old 27th June 2010, 18:36   #1506
BHPian

Is it not that the diesel prices are high in western countries? If I remember correctly the fuel prices in BP and Shell gas stations in London, petrol prices are less than diesel. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomBatt View Post
I bought some shares of HPCL and BPCL sometime back when there were rumours of this news just as to hedge my extra expenses on petrol.

Now, I am hoping that as the fuel prices increase, these companies would make more profit and share prices go up
Now thats really a nice way to deal with fuel price hike
Old 27th June 2010, 19:01   #1507
Distinguished - BHPian

You are right about diesel and petrol prices in UK: it is because of the level of taxation, which forms the greater part of fuel prices there.
Old 27th June 2010, 22:27   #1508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Air pollution is another major issue. I have to do 12km each way for my office commute. I had to stop going in two wheeler only due to the high air pollution.
Not really, much less of an issue on a cycle since you rarely travel in/with the rest of the traffic - you're either ahead of behind. As for the Delhi climate - a lot of riders in Delhi do ride for a lot of the year, Its not impossible except in the worst heat. You also get physically more robust and can handle the cold etc much better soon after you start riding. Most importantly, stop worrying and imagining issues and start riding, and you'll soon see the difference rather than merely discuss it. And be that little bit less dependent on fossil fuels, even if you just substitute the shorter trips with rides!
Old 28th June 2010, 07:38   #1509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
I agree. I have been riding in my cycle to office for many months now. And I hate to ride in those dry dust and especially when the BBMP staffs cleaning the roads. But then, its not always and all through the route. So, its ok.
Old 28th June 2010, 11:56   #1510
BHPian

Quote:
Not really, much less of an issue on a cycle since you rarely travel in/with the rest of the traffic - you're either ahead of behind. As for the Delhi climate - a lot of riders in Delhi do ride for a lot of the year, Its not impossible except in the worst heat. You also get physically more robust and can handle the cold etc much better soon after you start riding. Most importantly, stop worrying and imagining issues and start riding, and you'll soon see the difference rather than merely discuss it. And be that little bit less dependent on fossil fuels, even if you just substitute the shorter trips with rides!
You are absolutely right about air pollution and cycling. I vaguely remember in a Topgear episode where they race a bicycle, the cyclist had the least amount of carbon in his blood as all the exercising had detoxified his body.
Old 30th June 2010, 17:29   #1511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
BJP back in 2002 let PSUs change prices every fortnight. UPA is yet to arrive on a strategy.
That's the irony isn't it. The BJP government had already done it but nothing happened when the prices rose. This time too the words read as follows "the prices will be set in consultation with the Government of India" . So if it is an election year, or if prices rise too much, the Government could (read will) interfere.

Quote:
Repeating from the Bicycles thread:

The recent fuel price deregulation is another reason to pick a bike (bicycle) up. Keep the driving for the >10km distances, out of city trips etc. For anything within that, cycling is a great, quick, cheap option when alone. Fuel costs are bound to go northwards, and it makes sense to save whatever we can for those times when we really need it/can enjoy it. Sub 20kmph crawls are no fun in cars/motorbikes, but awesome on cycles!
. Totally agree. However will also have to agree with some of the comments posted earlier. Ever try cycling in Chennai on a summer day, in peak traffic and with a lap top with you? Not very feasiable. But yes, I do love cycling and do it when ever I can.
Old 30th June 2010, 22:05   #1512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You are right about diesel and petrol prices in UK: it is because of the level of taxation, which forms the greater part of fuel prices there.
Thad,
Does it mean that if both petrol and diesel are de-regulated then deisel becomes more costlier than Petrol. I did not know this point.
Old 30th June 2010, 22:08   #1513
Senior - BHPian

I really don't see why people are so upset with increase in fuel prices. Almost Every one is earning more than what they used to do when petrol was Rs 50, with all those pay hikes and all. So it is logical for the government to stop spoon feeding (subsidizing) and creating loses upon themselves.
Yes people say that they need to reduce taxes etc , But we must keep in mind that fuel is a source of income for the govt and the country cannot run without taxes.
Old 30th June 2010, 22:28   #1514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
I really don't see why people are so upset with increase in fuel prices. Almost Every one is earning more than what they used to do when petrol was Rs 50, with all those pay hikes and all. So it is logical for the government to stop spoon feeding (subsidizing) and creating loses upon themselves.
Yes people say that they need to reduce taxes etc , But we must keep in mind that fuel is a source of income for the govt and the country cannot run without taxes.
Govt does not incur a single paisa of loss on sale of Petrol or Diesel. More than 50% of petrol/diesel price is tax, then where is the question of a loss.

Ok after siphoning off 50% from price of petroleum products by the GOVT to cover budget deficits, to cater to pvt sector oil mafia like Reliance etc the Oil Mktg Companies are left with little in their hands.

But is that the public's fault. Let them restructure their taxes. Who the hell cares. But this hot gas left every now and then complaining that Oil Mktg Companies are suffering losses is just throwing dirt into the public's eyes.
Old 30th June 2010, 23:06   #1515
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Thad,
Does it mean that if both petrol and diesel are de-regulated then deisel becomes more costlier than Petrol. I did not know this point.
My understanding is that diesel is a cheaper fuel to produce than petrol, so, all other things being equal, diesel would be cheaper fuel anywhere.

For reasons that I don't quite remember, the UK govt, a few years back, decided to increase the taxation on diesel so that it became more expensive, having previously been cheaper, than petrol.

My comment only refers to UK pump prices: it is such a complex issue that I wouldn't attempt an analysis, but I do not think that it implies that deregulated prices anywhere else in the world would make diesel more expensive than petrol. My guess is that it should not be.

Most Viewed