Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2010, 13:36   #1351
Senior - BHPian

^ you are right.
And thats how it has always been.

The really poor are exempted, and the rich and influential get away with loopholes and shortcuts.

Price rise, is in any case justified, because we all know how prices in India are not reflection of true market conditions.

Besides, and increase in prices will bring down the wanton consumption.

OP, Take the case of your sugar.
Can't you actually cut down on sugar consumption?
Its not somethign that you can't live without (like cereals, cooking oil etc)
Old 4th February 2010, 14:21   #1352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post

OP, Take the case of your sugar.
Can't you actually cut down on sugar consumption?
Its not somethign that you can't live without (like cereals, cooking oil etc)

No offences but you have missed my point here. I am not talking like how a minister in kerala said when someone asked him why are the rice prices going up? The minister simply replied we should change our diet plan insted of rice we should have 2 ggs and a glass of milk, which is more energy giving. Last time when the onion prices sky rocketed we simply avoided onions, but my point is till when? The govt has failed pathetically in controlling prices, the prices are still low if one has a ration card, the prices will not affect the ones if who have a lot of money to spare, who does bear the pressure? the innocent working class, i feel sorry to see 1000s of rupees getting cut from my salary as tax and absolutly nothing happening to enhance the infrastructure. I loved it when GOVT of andra predesh absorbed the rise of 50 RS per cylender, and thats the way govt should actually function.

Yesterday i was stuck in a 2 hour traffic jam in a highway bypass which has 3 biggest hospitals in the southern side of kerala, reason? some maintanace work going on the bridge which is charging motorists 5 rs one way from year 2000. I live near to the bypass and i always hear sierns of the ambulances carrying patients, THis bridge is like all other raods in kerala which is highly ill mainitained, and the case is same accross india, we road taxes for better roads when there are none, the petrol price in india is still one of the highest in the world. When will this all stop? when will we see some sense of order?

Pramod
Old 4th February 2010, 16:22   #1353
BANNED

Charge us Rs.5 a letre but make sure

1. Roads are decently maintained.
2. All political tamashas are banned from stopping traffic.
3. Price Kerosene properly. Guaranteed a 35-78% drop in Kerosene consumption, matching increase in diesels sales, lower pollution.
4. Remove subsidy from domestic LPG. Guaranteed no shortages, fewer car fires.

Also you will get POORER POLITICOS and Babus. Lower taxes (every rupee of subsidy easily costs Rs.3 in taxes given our hyper-efficient system).
Old 4th February 2010, 16:28   #1354
Senior - BHPian

A day after an expert group suggested freeing petrol and diesel prices and steep hikes in LPG and kerosene rates to combat the rising input cost, the government on Thursday hinted that it may not accept the report in totality and will protect the common man's interest.

"The government will ensure that least burden is passed on to the poor and common man... while also ensuring that the financial health of (PSU fuel retailers) is protected," Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Gas Jitin Prasada [ Images ] said in New Delhi

More @ Govt may not go for steep hikes in fuel prices: Rediff.com Business
Old 4th February 2010, 16:32   #1355
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
"The government will ensure that least burden is passed on to the poor and common man... while also ensuring that the financial health of (PSU fuel retailers) is protected," Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Gas Jitin Prasada said in New Delhi
Moral: May be even higher petrol and diesel prices, and more kerosene in diesel!
Old 4th February 2010, 16:35   #1356
Senior - BHPian

This is the usual ploy. If the intended increase is Rs 2.00, they will hint at an increase of Rs 4.00 or so in the media, create a furore, then "bow to the interests of common man" and slash it by half - to Rs 2.00! That way everyone is happy, and the great tamasha goes on!
Old 4th February 2010, 16:41   #1357
BHPian

I am not sure why the government has to raise the fuel price when there is no much difference in the oil price,it stay's between $70 - $78 in average .I clearly remember that price was increased when oil price reached $70.
If they increase the price then they are going to take us to a hyper inflation situation where we already have overall inflation at 5 and food is at 17.56

In the mean time RBI has said that Indian earning has increase ,where my sal has not been increased for past two years.

Last edited by Sudan_NFS : 4th February 2010 at 16:45.
Old 4th February 2010, 16:43   #1358
MCR
BHPian

This is a ploy to make show that the government is great and is always keeping the interest of common man.
First, they show that there is a severe disparity in the pricing. Then comes the recommendation that prices have to go up. Then there is a furore created and government says they will keep the interest of the common man. Then they make a marginal hike, just to show that the government has done a favour to its people by hiking the prices marginally and the government is people friendly. Just crap politics.

Last edited by MCR : 4th February 2010 at 16:46. Reason: typo
Old 4th February 2010, 16:43   #1359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
This is the usual ploy. If the intended increase is Rs 2.00, they will hint at an increase of Rs 4.00 or so in the media, create a furore, then "bow to the interests of common man" and slash it by half - to Rs 2.00! That way everyone is happy, and the great tamasha goes on!
Ha ha ha!! Well said! And yes this is the harsh reality. Our media also hypes the point to such an extent that we are left elated when the rise is "only" Rs. 2 per liter.
Old 4th February 2010, 16:59   #1360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
In the mean time RBI has said that Indian earning has increase ,where my sal has not been increased for past two years.
Maybe we should try joining RBI, heard of any vacancies there???
Old 4th February 2010, 17:00   #1361
BHPian

I completely agree with Gansan about this strategy in raising fuel prices. However, lets not forget that India is a major importer of fuel. As it is world crude is still expensive, hovering around the $70-$80 mark. On top of that we have to pay for transporting it to our shores. Then we have to refine them and distribute them. Bulk of fuel moves via roads on tankers. This further increases prices. The government oil companies are always making a loss. To minimize this loss, a small portion is passed on to us. So prices are bound to be high. I really appreciate the fact that the government has not allowed market forces to determine price of fuel, or else it will be way beyond most of our reach!
Old 4th February 2010, 17:06   #1362
BHPian

I support the petrol price hike. It should be compensated by increase in the IT exemption limits.
The govt by hiking the prices is passing on the revenue generation to a wider population (who dont pay any taxes anyway) and reducing the burden on the people who pay TDS.
Old 4th February 2010, 17:41   #1363
BHPian

Quote:
The government oil companies are always making a loss. To minimize this loss, a small portion is passed on to us. So prices are bound to be high.
You forgot another significant component--the taxes levied at the state level. Ideally, all this business of subsidies, and administered pricing should be done away with; along with lesser taxation we might arrive at a better balanced boquet of petroleum products' pricing.
Old 4th February 2010, 17:55   #1364
Senior - BHPian

NOT AGAIN!!! Already SHell has increased the price by 3bucks.....
i guess need to pick a cycle soon
Old 4th February 2010, 18:17   #1365
BHPian

What about Auto LPG ? What is the hike in price for that?
Enlighten me please!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks