Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2012, 14:49   #2881
BANNED

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

I am sure if they hike diesel and at the same time allow another three subsidised LPG cylinders a year, almost nobody will notice!
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 14:56   #2882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Btw, diesel cars take a 5km drive to reach operating temperature.
Which diesel car is this? All the diesel cars I have seen reach optimum operating temperature from a cold start in a maximum of 2 kms.
Old 21st December 2012, 15:15   #2883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post

Which diesel car is this? All the diesel cars I have seen reach optimum operating temperature from a cold start in a maximum of 2 kms.
Maybe you start off giving it the whip and the AC on. And by optimum, I mean the temperature needle should be at the middle.

Am talking about the national engine here. Feel free to ask me a video if you need proof.
Old 21st December 2012, 15:22   #2884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Maybe you start off giving it the whip and the AC on. And by optimum, I mean the temperature needle should be at the middle.

Am talking about the national engine here. Feel free to ask me a video if you need proof.
Quite the opposite. For the first 5 minutes after a cold start I drive the car very sedately with minimum throttle input. AC comes on only after reaching optimum temperature (middle of the temp gauge). Oh and I have 4 national engine cars at home and all of them heat up pretty quickly.

Me petrol Mondeo with the thermostat valve stuck open also reaches the optimum temperature in less than 2 kms.

We are going off topic here and should discuss this elsewhere.
Old 27th December 2012, 15:18   #2885
Team-BHP Support

NDTV reports what Oil ministry is thinking:

Link.

If the prices of diesel go up by Rs. 10/-, I assume that prices of most commodities will shoot up. Why can't the government think of reducing taxes on fuel?

Last edited by moralfibre : 27th December 2012 at 15:27.
Old 27th December 2012, 15:24   #2886
BANNED

@moralfible; They are bankrupt fiscally and mentally. I read somewhere that NYMEX should be $102 in a year. So Brent will be at least $120. Rest can be left unsaid.
Old 27th December 2012, 15:24   #2887
Senior - BHPian

The link says Rs 10 hike over 10 months which looks faily feasible considering an average of Re 1 per month. Atleast the pinch would not felt so hard. But this is again subject to the political environment at the centre where decisions change every passing moment.
Old 27th December 2012, 15:25   #2888
Senior - BHPian

Sad state of affairs, already most commodities prices have been on the rise, if the diesel goes up by 10bucks am sure it would shoot up....

GOD save the comon people of this country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

Link.

If the prices of diesel go up by Rs. 10/-, I assume prices of most commodities will shoot up. Why can't the government think of reducing taxes on fuel?
Old 27th December 2012, 20:27   #2889
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Sad state of affairs, already most commodities prices have been on the rise, if the diesel goes up by 10bucks am sure it would shoot up....

GOD save the comon people of this country!
They should tax both petrol and diesel at the same rate,currently diesel has lesser excise duty and VAT .Once its taxed the same petrol will infact be cheaper then diesel.

Now i understand that hiking diesel means commodity prices will also increase,but why can't the government just reduce the taxes on these or give subsidy directly for the poor.That way the subsidy goes to the right people or to all people and not to folks sitting in their air conditioned cars/SUVs .
aim120 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 22:50   #2890
Senior - BHPian

its not about petrol vs Diesel, my concern is completely related to the cascading effect this price rise would have on every commodity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
They should tax both petrol and diesel at the same rate,currently diesel has lesser excise duty and VAT .Once its taxed the same petrol will infact be cheaper then diesel.

Now i understand that hiking diesel means commodity prices will also increase,but why can't the government just reduce the taxes on these or give subsidy directly for the poor.That way the subsidy goes to the right people or to all people and not to folks sitting in their air conditioned cars/SUVs .
Old 28th December 2012, 08:18   #2891
Senior - BHPian

Todays paper has an info on the govt's plan to hike diesel prices by Rs10 in 10months. I think this looks very likely to happen. What would the impact be on car prices ? Used diesel car prices have been unrealistically high. Will they drop ? Will new diesel car prices also fall ? Rather would discounts in petrol cars reduce ?
Old 28th December 2012, 09:25   #2892
BANNED

I read somewhere that Diesel car demand has been dropping over the past month or so, so someone knew something.
Old 28th December 2012, 10:17   #2893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

Link.

If the prices of diesel go up by Rs. 10/-, I assume that prices of most commodities will shoot up. Why can't the government think of reducing taxes on fuel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The link says Rs 10 hike over 10 months which looks faily feasible considering an average of Re 1 per month. Atleast the pinch would not felt so hard. But this is again subject to the political environment at the centre where decisions change every passing moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Todays paper has an info on the govt's plan to hike diesel prices by Rs10 in 10months. I think this looks very likely to happen. What would the impact be on car prices ? Used diesel car prices have been unrealistically high. Will they drop ? Will new diesel car prices also fall ? Rather would discounts in petrol cars reduce ?
It is high time the Government brought parity on the petrol-diesel prices. Granted, throwing out subsidies does no good to anyone, including the end user but we are living in a fantasy world.

Once diesel prices go up, petrol prices can be dropped slightly. It would mean that petrol cars lying unsold in dealerships all over the country and (also in houses like mine ) will find more acceptance. It may not boost dropping resale prices dramatically but at least it will help sell (petrol) vehicles that are lying unused & unsold.

Commodity prices have to go up. It is the natural consequence but I don't think we should be cribbing because salaries have also seen a boost all round. Perhaps, we might end up taking lesser holidays and buying less number of fancy gadgets, which I think is actually for the best. Besides, productivity will increase when we start working harder and saving that money instead of splurging on materialistic stuff. Personally I see it as a boon.

Welcome to a realistic world
Old 28th December 2012, 10:44   #2894
Senior - BHPian

Majority of the people of this country does not care if diesel/petrol vehicles are good. The govt should look at keeping inflation and prices in check. It just shows that they lack financial discipline and target the fuel prices (easy money?) which has many fold repercussions.

Take care of power sector, have parity in generation and consumption which by itself should reduce the diesel consumption by a big amount. There are lot of things that could be done.

Last edited by srishiva : 28th December 2012 at 10:45.
Old 28th December 2012, 11:02   #2895
Senior - BHPian

@ woodcrawler - Firstly , moving petrol cars out of the showroom floors is an insignificant factor for the government to rationalise the prices of diesel. The fuel is the back bone of the major sectors of the economy namely agriculture and transportation. You cannot burden these with excessive costs otherwise it will have a boomerang effect. I am an agriculturist and I know if the price of diesel goes up it will have a cascading effect on my produce.
Now coming to your opinion of " taking lesser holidays and fancy gadgets " . Are you doing moral policing here ? Lets get things straight , car is a materialistic thing. So if you think luxury holiday is wastage so is buying a car. It s relative , a person working hard 11 months a years needs a 1 month luxury holiday to keep his productivity going just like a person working hard to buy his first car. Two separate economic strata having same aspirations. In short , lets talk about how things actually work and not how you "think" they should work.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks