Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Civic Vs Altis. Which car, which version?
Civic 1.8E MT 27 5.08%
Altis 1.8G MT 60 11.30%
Civic 1.8V MT 136 25.61%
Altis 1.8GL MT 137 25.80%
Civic 1.8V AT 93 17.51%
Altis 1.8VL AT 78 14.69%
Voters: 531. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2009, 21:46   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
does the altis come with mudflaps as standard? & the older corolla also dint have mudflaps.
That's not true. Both the Altis and the older Corolla come with factory fitted body coloured flaps.

Rgds,
Old 22nd July 2009, 21:54   #302
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
in this segment, there is no car yet to which these cars can be compared. lets wait for the chevy cruze & if priced right, i hope it can be a worthy competitor to both the japs. anyways, at that price, i would prefer spending some 60,000 more & buy the sonata embera.
When Hyundai launched the Sonata Embera it was priced similar to the then accord, some 17-18L I think. Only when the car turned out to be a complete flop since noone was paying so much for a Hyundai did they cut the price drastically bringing it a segment lower in price. Then they launched the Sonata transform. A fantastic car but again they increased the price to 18.5L. Since there was no response for this car last month they reduced the price by 2L I think.

Since Toyota and Hyundai have set the benchmark for this segment. It is highly unlikely that Chevy will price the cruze substantially lower than the H or the T. The Optra Magnum is 12L so obviously it will be priced more than that.
Old 23rd July 2009, 00:02   #303
Senior - BHPian

A lot of the price difference compared to the US can be attributed to taxes. Even though both the Civic and the Corolla are "Made in India", quite a lot of the drivetrain is fully imported and this drives up the price quite a bit. Neither of these companies manufacture engines or gearboxes in India. ECU, airbag electronics etc are also imported from Japan. These three components constitute a hefty percentage of the total cost of the car and the taxes for these things are painful. For the USDM market, they can make/source every single thing from the country itself, letting the car cost a lot less. Our market isn't big enough for something like that - because cars aren't exactly cheap. Catch 22.

I speculate that Hyundai has found a local manufacturer or manufactures their safety equipment in India, cuz it can't be economical to give six airbags in the i20 for that price, high as it may be.

Then there is the multi tiered local taxing, which drives up the price even higher by the time a finished product reaches the customer.

It all evens out IMHO. India is one of the cheapest countries to live in, with high quality, accessible health care, something which a lot of western countries don't have.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 23rd July 2009 at 00:03.
Old 23rd July 2009, 09:28   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
When Hyundai launched the Sonata Embera it was priced similar to the then accord, some 17-18L I think. Only when the car turned out to be a complete flop since noone was paying so much for a Hyundai did they cut the price drastically bringing it a segment lower in price. Then they launched the Sonata transform. A fantastic car but again they increased the price to 18.5L. Since there was no response for this car last month they reduced the price by 2L I think.

Since Toyota and Hyundai have set the benchmark for this segment. It is highly unlikely that Chevy will price the cruze substantially lower than the H or the T. The Optra Magnum is 12L so obviously it will be priced more than that.
see, what ultimately matters to me is what i get at what price. if the car is good, i dont bother whether its a flop or a hit.
even you would agree that embera is a good car but it flopped only because of the hyundai brand.
corrolla & civic are smaller cars than embera, so ideally thay should be priced much cheaper. so why should i pay more for that car? just for the brand?

hey, i am NOT denying that brand does not matter at all. i would never dare to buy the ICML rhino or the san storm just because it is cheaper. but japs are literally fleecing us- indians.
Old 23rd July 2009, 12:40   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
It all evens out IMHO. India is one of the cheapest countries to live in, with high quality, accessible health care, something which a lot of western countries don't have.
You are my best pal now onwards.. Totally agreed.

In fact I am from the very few who support these duties on cars. In fact I support all govt steps which increase jobs/employment in India. The govt has put import duty to depromote imports but on the other hand supports the Indian Automobile industry to a big extent. At least they are a priority industry and govt always listens to them.

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 23rd July 2009 at 12:44.
Old 23rd July 2009, 13:02   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
You are my best pal now onwards.. Totally agreed.
Loved your this response. Finally you two are sharing same views on someting, otherwise it was always Civic vs altis.

Btw, even I share the same view.

PS : I voted for civic 1.8V
Old 24th July 2009, 08:56   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
You are my best pal now onwards.. Totally agreed..
Its good that both of you have agreed on something, but I hope the debate on Toyota Vs Honda doesn't stop
Old 10th September 2009, 13:46   #308
BHPian

what about 0-100 for altis sports ?
Old 10th September 2009, 22:03   #309
BHPian

July 2009 Auto Bild comparison

One constant assumption in the Corolla vs Civic debate is that the latter is a better handling car. However a 19 July 2009 road handling test in Auto Bild India that looked at more than 20 cars found that the Corolla Altis AT handled better than the Civic AT in a number of tests on a race track.

These included cornering, steering neutrality and rolling & pitching, all of which saw the Corolla performing better than the Civic. The reviewers did describe the electric steering in the Corolla as "uninvolving", but essentially it did better than the Civic.

Time to change this assumption?

Also, the best handling car in the test as the Audi A4 3.2 Quattro and the worst the A-star.
Old 14th September 2009, 12:56   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOiLA View Post
what about 0-100 for altis sports ?
Should be the same. The engine is untouched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Fan View Post
One constant assumption in the Corolla vs Civic debate is that the latter is a better handling car. However a 19 July 2009 road handling test in Auto Bild India that looked at more than 20 cars found that the Corolla Altis AT handled better than the Civic AT in a number of tests on a race track.

These included cornering, steering neutrality and rolling & pitching, all of which saw the Corolla performing better than the Civic. The reviewers did describe the electric steering in the Corolla as "uninvolving", but essentially it did better than the Civic.

Time to change this assumption?

Also, the best handling car in the test as the Audi A4 3.2 Quattro and the worst the A-star.
That is an interesting article. I'll have to read it. My test drives made me feel otherwise though - and I TDed both cars a lot.
Old 14th September 2009, 17:24   #311
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have any news on the expected Corolla CNG launch. It seems that it is going testing and will have a factory-fitted 14 kg CNG capacity. Is it going to be in manual or AT only. Of course a different matter that to fill up CNG in Delhi, you need to reach the pump well before sunrise.
Old 14th September 2009, 19:09   #312
Senior - BHPian

it will be here next month before diwali to take advantage of the diwali sales.
Old 28th November 2009, 11:26   #313
BHPian

VFM or brand

Quote:
see, what ultimately matters to me is what i get at what price. if the car is good, i dont bother whether its a flop or a hit.
even you would agree that embera is a good car but it flopped only because of the hyundai brand.
corrolla & civic are smaller cars than embera, so ideally thay should be priced much cheaper. so why should i pay more for that car? just for the brand?

hey, i am NOT denying that brand does not matter at all. i would never dare to buy the ICML rhino or the san storm just because it is cheaper. but japs are literally fleecing us- indians.
I fully agree with your thoughts. Embera at that price point is an awesome car (After all everything is with respect to what you pay for it). The only challenge is when volumes are low, the service (spare parts, number of persons having the know-how) for that tends to be little more challenging. That would be my only concern in these situations.
Old 11th November 2010, 19:59   #314
BHPian

Re-activating this thread just for the sake of it! I would prefer the Civic over the Corolla any day. It looks a lot sporty and also offers the paddle shifters which is nice to use. The Corolla is more for the chauffer driven I guess.
Old 11th November 2010, 20:24   #315
Senior - BHPian

As of now its Civic AT for me. That's the only Honda I like!!! I would have voted for Corolla if I was in my 40's .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks