Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Civic Vs Altis. Which car, which version?
Civic 1.8E MT 27 5.08%
Altis 1.8G MT 60 11.30%
Civic 1.8V MT 136 25.61%
Altis 1.8GL MT 137 25.80%
Civic 1.8V AT 93 17.51%
Altis 1.8VL AT 78 14.69%
Voters: 531. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2008, 13:44   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samirsarkar View Post
Btw, before anyone calls me a Civic hater, let me tell you that if I were to compare only the automatic models in this segment from Honda and Toyota, I would prefer the former any day. What on earth was Toyota thinking so as to provide us with a 4-speed auto box when most or all modern auto boxes in cars of this segment are either 5 or 6 speed ones ?? . And yes, the paddle shift in the Civic is a lovely feature found only in cars of higher segments.
You meant to say Altis hater? You are all praises for the Civic AT.

I just love civic, and own one too. I had no Altis when I chose, but today on a comparative not will not chose it either.
Old 29th October 2008, 15:59   #182
Senior - BHPian

i vote for the civic AT. just a case of the heart ruling over the mind...
Old 29th October 2008, 17:44   #183
BHPian

ohhh wow , seems like civic 1.8V MT is ruling now and most votes are coming for this one.

I would also like to add, even I voted for Altis 1.8GL coz of its superior feature lists when the poll started but when i visited the showroom, my opinion about the car changed esp due to pretty normal interiors.

I think the same is happening with others also , now they have seen altis inside out and so votes going for Civic 1.8V MT
Old 29th October 2008, 23:08   #184
Senior - BHPian

My latest discovery.. Altis is a head turner. A new Civic or a skoda or VW won't turn any head in today's situation but an Altis is sure doing a lot. And I like that too..

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 29th October 2008 at 23:14.
Old 30th October 2008, 00:40   #185
Team-BHP Support

Ym-enjn, it's only because it's new in the market. The newness will pass in a few months once the G3HC is on the roads. Noone will take a second look at the Altis. It was the same with the Civic.
Old 30th October 2008, 07:53   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Ym-enjn, it's only because it's new in the market. The newness will pass in a few months once the G3HC is on the roads. Noone will take a second look at the Altis. It was the same with the Civic.
Agreed but Civic held it for atleast 2 years. Even now it has a charm on its own and when it comes to interiors -IMHO nothing beats her at her class.
Old 30th October 2008, 08:24   #187
BHPian

With due respects, I disagree. Happened to overlook a white Corolla parked (exactly parallel) to my left at a signal only to realize during take-off that it was the Altis.... the side profile is ditto the outgoing model and looks put off, the facia is new but the rear is still boring and reminiscent of the outgoing model.

IMHO, a Civic, Laura and Octavia (RS, L&K or Rider Classic all in black) are real head turners - havent seen much of the Superb or any from the VW stables so cant comment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
My latest discovery.. Altis is a head turner. A new Civic or a skoda or VW won't turn any head in today's situation but an Altis is sure doing a lot. And I like that too..

Last edited by AirWind : 30th October 2008 at 08:27.
Old 30th October 2008, 10:04   #188
BHPian

Surprise, surprise....this poll is getting my predictions entirely wrong. I thought the Altis GL MT would outvote the Civic MT and the Civic AT would outvote the Altis AT. I am surprised that it is the opposite especially since the Altis AT is no way superior to the Civic AT with its 4-speed gearbox vis-a-vis the 5-speed one in the Civic along with the paddle shift option in the latter.

However, coming to the MT, the Altis is a better drive (at least to me) for daily duties.
Old 30th October 2008, 10:10   #189
Senior - BHPian

when we buy a car, its not just about price and features, especially when is price difference is not much. there should be a certain feel good factor in the car, a certain special feeling when you sit in it, something which differentiates it from rest of the cars in its segment. for me, only the civic provides that. even as far as exterior looks are concerned, the civic beats the altis. only when you consider practicality a bit, the altis leads because of the too low set seats in the civic which are not suitable for elders.
Old 30th October 2008, 10:18   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
only when you consider practicality a bit, the altis leads because of the too low set seats in the civic which are not suitable for elders.
Not to speak of the lack of lumbar support in the driver's seat of the Civic which makes it a tad uncomfortable for the driver on long drives especially for people like me with a lower back problem. Why on earth has Civic left out this feature is something I cannot yet fathom.
Old 30th October 2008, 11:14   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno View Post
Also, to add, reading the oct 08 ACI, i remember they stressed a lot that altis's aggressive rpm limiter makes it slower to civic and the current altis is even slower than the outgoing corolla but altis is more responsive at lower speeds.
I consider your arguments reasonable. However, the same cannot be said for ACI which seems to me to be a publicity rag.
Old 30th October 2008, 16:58   #192
Senior - BHPian

Altis giving 12 KMPL

Where do you all get change to high rave your cars. If high rave means really and trully touching the red line then at least our unpredictable Indian roads are not the place for that.

In regards to FE, for first 166 Kms my Altis is giving 12 KMPL, thats city driving not more than 40-50kmph and 70-80% AC. Not bad. See proof below.

Poll: Civic V/S Corolla altis-dscf1675cc.jpg
Old 30th October 2008, 17:04   #193
Senior - BHPian

hey buddy, i am not very sure of the altis but pls dont rely entirely upon the on board meter (real time fuel meter as some call it) to check your fuel efficiency. they are not the most accurate. do a personal check yourself by the traditional method and do inform us the accuracy of the altis's meter.
Old 30th October 2008, 17:06   #194
Senior - BHPian

I think when it comes to the Auto people tend to look more at the features in offer between the two. The Altis is simply loaded with a lot of mouth watering features which one can keep fiddling with for a long time. The Civic is way way behind in that. But what the Civic AT gives with the 5 speed auto and paddle shift is too good. Don't know why Toyota kept the 4 speed box.
Old 30th October 2008, 17:13   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Don't know why Toyota kept the 4 speed box.
When considering my purchase in early-2007, I also thought about the `outdated' 4AT of the Corolla against the 5AT of the Civic. However, really it may not matter except largely as a `feature list ad'. The 4AT of the old Corolla (and hopefully the new Altis) should get the job done, in terms of giving good FE and pickup. Really, these cars constitute less than 5% of total cars sold, and are competing with anaemic 800 and compact segment cars (77% of car sales), and mid-size (another 20%). Even an allegedly lethargic pickup of Corolla 4AT is more than enough for its competitors on Indian roads!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks