Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Civic Vs Altis. Which car, which version?
Civic 1.8E MT 27 5.08%
Altis 1.8G MT 60 11.30%
Civic 1.8V MT 136 25.61%
Altis 1.8GL MT 137 25.80%
Civic 1.8V AT 93 17.51%
Altis 1.8VL AT 78 14.69%
Voters: 531. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2008, 12:16   #106
BHPian

Altis is the best package

Neat and pleasant looking interior. Doesnt match with the cockpit of Civic, but still impressive and functional. Lot of utility space.Rear floor is flat and more spaceous.Boot is much bigger than Civic. Engine is smooth and gives more mileage than civic. Transmission is smooth compared to old corolla. Altis is wider and taller than civic, also has more ground clearance.
one more highlight of altis is that it has very eff brakes.
Old 12th October 2008, 17:53   #107
BANNED

I have seen honda lovers saying civic engine is high reving and fun to drive bla bla. What does this mean ?.

I tried speeding Altis (my in-laws) and civic (mine) and found Altis giving more pickup which one would expect on 1.8Ltr engine. Looking at the spec, I found Civic is more faster, but never felt so.
Old 12th October 2008, 19:03   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Positive. Camry is huge in comparison. The car had a yellow sticker in place of number plate so i presume it must be either a test car or going to the showroom.
Black Altis is currently not available for general public. However they have a black edition for luxury taxi/tour/hotel operators. They will eventually have the yellow on black number plates. According to dealers this will be available to others only next year.
Old 12th October 2008, 19:19   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
I have seen honda lovers saying civic engine is high reving and fun to drive bla bla. What does this mean ?.

I tried speeding Altis (my in-laws) and civic (mine) and found Altis giving more pickup which one would expect on 1.8Ltr engine. Looking at the spec, I found Civic is more faster, but never felt so.
Shift at redline. Most of the Civic's power is above 4500 rpm. Until that, its slow as a dog.
Old 12th October 2008, 19:41   #110
Senior - BHPian

Well what i found after seeing and driving both the cars is that the Altis is a decision from the HEAD.And the CIVIC is a decision from the HEART.Its that simple.
Civic may be older,gives lesser mileage,not all that city friendly because of low torque down low.But at the end of the day when you look at it sitting in your drive way with a faint light falling on it.Wow its a sight.Something the Altis will never be.
Old 12th October 2008, 20:17   #111
Senior - BHPian

I'd choose the Civic for its looks and paddle shift gearbox.

But if i have to choose something better featured or lets say from the mind , i'd choose the altis
Old 12th October 2008, 21:58   #112
BHPian

Why is so much importance given to Paddle Shift? Why not go for manual transmission, if one really wants to be in control or wants to push the car to limits (beyond what the onboard computer would like)? And get better (or worse) FE in the bargain.

Altis has a Sequential Shift which allows the driver to override / direct the car's brain.

Paddle Shift or Sequential Shift, it is AT in the end. I would say:

MT = for sheer driving pleasure & being in control
AT = for sheer comfort & convenience

I found Paddle Shift just a decent frill - the same purpose is served by sequential shift. On the other hand Cruise Control on Altis is a more useful frill.
Old 12th October 2008, 22:13   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post

You have to drive them differently. Always shift at atleast 4000RPM for the Civic. Hell, shift at 6K. I have done so on my car twice. I have tried the same on an Altis GL A/T. You know how it felt?

The Civic was alive. Screaming. The Altis, dead. Yawn.

I rest my case.
Old 12th October 2008, 22:43   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
You have to drive them differently. Always shift at atleast 4000RPM for the Civic. Hell, shift at 6K. I have done so on my car twice. I have tried the same on an Altis GL A/T. You know how it felt?

The Civic was alive. Screaming. The Altis, dead. Yawn.

I rest my case.
This is precisely the problem with Civic. The vehicle does not behave how you want, but you have to behave how the vehicle wants

The Corolla is an all-rounder whereas the Civic performance is limited to a particular band. For me it is Altis surely if it is manual. On AT versions, I would give some brownies to Civic too and it would be close. Oh! I am not buying now, so the choice is only academic.
Old 12th October 2008, 22:53   #115
Senior - BHPian

Curious : Have you driven a Civic?

Because I TDed the manual one before I chose this car. I was looking out for all the problems that were voiced. Low GC, low torque, bad shifter, low mileage, it doesn't make coffee for you, doesn't give you a massage... So many problems! How on earth could it be so bad and yet be so lauded?

Sure doesn't give a massage or make coffee. But the TD car shifted like butter, was drivable in traffic and I didn't scrape the underbody (mostly because they don't put mountains on the roads here in TVM). I didn't see any of the problems that mattered! So much so that what I heard was spread on because it is always cool to bash the popular stuff. While I do respect the issues that owners have voiced on the forum, I do not believe it is as widespread and/or as bad as it is made out to be. Oh noes, I have to rev the car to get it moving. Well Einstein, it isn't a diesel. Adapt! I did after two stop/starts in the TD car. And if an idiot like me can do it, so can you. However my A/T is at idle RPMs when it gets moving in the city - must be the torque converter doing the magic.

If you believe that being required to adapt to a car is a bad thing, I have news for you - you'll dislike just about every non-generic car out there. Every car with a personality - every car with mind numbing performance (not the Civic - it is just the one eyed King in the land of the blind) will require you to adapt to it or it will kill you. Quite literally.

By the way, I wouldn't call a power band of 2500-6600RPM "narrow".

If being generic is a great thing, sure, the Altis is the best car in the world.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 12th October 2008 at 23:10. Reason: More explanation. Warning : Sarcasm inside!
Old 13th October 2008, 04:47   #116
BHPian

i have been driving the auto civic since 18 months.. and i am loving it everyday, well with the paddle shifts i feel like iam driving a manual car. Civic rocks anyday.
Old 13th October 2008, 10:25   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetu4444 View Post
i have been driving the auto civic since 18 months.. and i am loving it everyday, well with the paddle shifts i feel like iam driving a manual car. Civic rocks anyday.
Though I like the features list in Altis (Electrically Adjustable Seat with Lumbar support, HID etc) but Civic still rules my heart and I am waiting a face lifted civic in 2009. The question is MT or AT.
Old 13th October 2008, 11:04   #118
Senior - BHPian

I voted for the Civic 1.8V MT. The Altis does nothing for me. Though the Civic, to me, doesn't look awesome from all angles, overall it's a much younger, sleeker and sportier design then the Altis. The interiors, of course, are miles ahead of the Toyota.

Also, most of the time, I am driving alone or with a maximum of 2 people (me+one passenger) so I am guessing the bottoming out issue wouldn't bother me.

Quote:
Why is so much importance given to Paddle Shift?
I agree. The fascination lasts for a couple of weeks at the most. Also, on turns and curves, the paddles move with the steering, making downshifting cumbersome and uncomfortable.
Old 13th October 2008, 12:23   #119
Senior - BHPian

The Altis is a 4 speed AT right? Why the world stick in a 4 speed yet again? If you like bells and whistles, stately looks and a better Japanese reliability (though a narrow margin at that) then go for the Altis.

You want to drive like mad, corner like anything and look good doing it, get the Civic.

As someone said its mind over matter.. rather heart or the head... Both are great cars, just depends on what you want to do with it.
Old 13th October 2008, 12:40   #120
Senior - BHPian

Although I do not agree to the statement that Civic for heart and Altis for mind as well as Civic for Young and Altis for Mature, but even if thats true I would like to say that how many people will not think with head while spending 13 to 14 lakhs rupees on a car, at this price range the head is sure to take over heart. Second how many younger people (I'll say below 30 years) are buying a car in this range. I think very less. Mostly it is over 30 years that take a decision to buy such cars.

On all factors Altis is ahead of Civic. For example: FE- Altis better, GC- Altis better, Size - Altis better, Features - Altis better, Back seat comfort-Altis better, Suspension - Altis better, Pickup- Altis better, EPS steering - Altis better.

Subjective are looks and driving pleasure. Looks wise both cars are in different world all together, the advantage of Altis is that its very rich looking in compare to Civic from all angles and civic on the other hand is a love me or hate me design. I have seen many people who hate Civic's designs including me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks