Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Civic Vs Altis. Which car, which version?
Civic 1.8E MT 27 5.08%
Altis 1.8G MT 60 11.30%
Civic 1.8V MT 136 25.61%
Altis 1.8GL MT 137 25.80%
Civic 1.8V AT 93 17.51%
Altis 1.8VL AT 78 14.69%
Voters: 531. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2008, 15:24   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
The new Civic launched in US looks even better than the current one. Hope the same looks will be maintained for their India launch. See picture below.

We wont be getting that Civic in any condition, we get the JDM Civc, check the pictures of the minor facelifted Civic here.
Old 8th September 2008, 16:18   #47
Senior - BHPian

Toyota has definitely taken the battle to the Civic. I was scared that Toyota would go the Camry way and overprice the car and let Honda rule the segment.

This is good news for customers. The battle has just begun, soon there is going to be xtra features, discounts etc. etc.

Despite the Civic and Altis having cracking diesel units as an option in other markets I'm dissapointed they think otherwise in India.

Fingers crossed a locally assembled, reduced price VW Jetta will change that.
Old 8th September 2008, 16:49   #48
BANNED

Is there any FIR(TD reports) available about Altis ?
Old 8th September 2008, 18:09   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Voted for Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 GL MT.

Fanstastic pricing when you consider the additional features. Moreover the stance is not as low as Civic and ground clearence issues wont crop up in high numbers.

But the main factor for Corolla Altis getting vote is the Toyota engine. The motor definitely is more usable in real world because of torque and this matters a lot speciall considering the increasing traffic jams.
considering its just a tuned version of the previous corolla i would think most people would look at it ONLY for the features added...which IMO should have been part of the package ANYWAY for a 13lac car.

I blame Skoda for improving & ruining the game when they brought in the Laura.

Improved: Prior to Laura the features across this segment were pretty basic...

Ruining: Had they simply exchanged the Octy for Laura without price changes we would have seen these 'new' features a while back!

just a thought..i know it went a little off-topic!
Old 8th September 2008, 18:29   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Is there any FIR(TD reports) available about Altis ?
Try this though not on India launched variant.

Mostly New 2008 Toyota Corolla Altis Finally Here! - Test Drive Report | bkkAutos.com

Last edited by Hackett : 8th September 2008 at 18:30.
Old 8th September 2008, 18:39   #51
BHPian

Voted for Altis --- Toyota Brand loyalty

Jokes apart - The pricing strategy by Toyota is spot-on. Model to model comparision of Altis Vs. Civic gives more features in the Altis. As a consumer who looks at a VFM for every rupee spent - Altis in my opinion is the answer.

Regards
Old 8th September 2008, 21:27   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
What's good about the design (theres no design, just streight lines). Looks like old Mitsu Lancer. They should now go back to their drawing boards and give something better to their fans. See, you just can't compare old civic and new civic, the Civic designing has to rise up to the mark of Altis now, and they need to do it fast.
I like straight lines. For my eyes Civic looks far better than the "mini Camry" design, which I feel as "no design, just curves" . However I like Corolla for different reasons and I was driving Corolla and Camry throughout when I was in the US.

Last edited by appuchan : 8th September 2008 at 21:33.
Old 8th September 2008, 23:11   #53
BHPian

Finally Toyota is going to restore order in the Indian market as is the case all over the world. The turning radius will also be a factor as we all know how crucial it is in our cities.
Old 8th September 2008, 23:15   #54
BHPian

Voted for Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 G MT. Toyota has a edge on ground clearence and better in terms of cost of ownership than the civic
Old 8th September 2008, 23:29   #55
Senior - BHPian

honda doesnt belive in number game.....they go for the quality and not cosmetics like headlight washers!

honda is the world's largest engine manufacturer and not one engine has come back for warranty claims.

corolla sells in larges numbers cause it being cheaper than civic and more of a family car.

civic on the other hand is more appealing towards young crowd, that why you have Type R and civic coupes!

new corolla carry over the old corolla engine! oh one more thing.....

"honey i shrunk the camry into corolla altis"

safe driving guys
cheers:
Old 8th September 2008, 23:35   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
honda doesnt belive in number game.....they go for the quality and not cosmetics like headlight washers!
There are more threads on the Civic's poor quality here and customers suffering than the Corollas. That point needs a lot of convincing.

Quote:
honda is the world's largest engine manufacturer and not one engine has come back for warranty claims.
Is there proof for this? Do you have access to numbers/data?

Quote:
corolla sells in larges numbers cause it being cheaper than civic and more of a family car.
It's not really cheap the difference is just Rs.7000. Hardly a deciding factor when you are putting down 13L.

Quote:
civic on the other hand is more appealing towards young crowd, that why you have Type R and civic coupes!
Although not as popular, you also have corolla XRS with a 2.4L engine.

Quote:
new corolla carry over the old corolla engine! oh one more thing.....
If it ain't broke why fix it. The old engine was a very good engine offering good performance as well as mileage and also new technology like DOHC VVTi. They didn't have to change it.

Quote:
"honey i shrunk the camry into corolla altis"
That's a compliment that the car looks as good as the much larger camry.

Cheers.cheers:

ps: I neither have a toyota or a honda. I have something better, a Mitsubishi. Although I'm looking at getting a toyota or a honda soon.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 8th September 2008 at 23:36.
Old 9th September 2008, 00:11   #57
BHPian

i am sure its more fuel efficient than the civic unless they ve made it a lot more heavier than the old corolla . i could be wrong on this but a corolla out drags a civic. plus if someone is looking to tweak performance (its a minority i know) try looking for a header for a civic.
Old 9th September 2008, 00:31   #58
Senior - BHPian

people who like civic.....enjoy it

people who like corolla.....enjoy it

why fight it out?

beers and pork sausages anyonecheers:?
Old 9th September 2008, 04:20   #59
BHPian

I'd the pick the older [i.e. pre-Altis] Corolla over the Civic anyday...Nothing has changed!

I'd pick the new top of the line altis over the Civic again...However having 2 AT Corollas, I'd like to have the MT this time...Getting a TD this weekend, will post my thoughts and intial reports...Till then

cheers:
Old 9th September 2008, 07:25   #60
BHPian

My preference is Altis 1.8 G. Honda was ripping Indian customers for long time

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks