Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Civic Vs Altis. Which car, which version?
Civic 1.8E MT 27 5.08%
Altis 1.8G MT 60 11.30%
Civic 1.8V MT 136 25.61%
Altis 1.8GL MT 137 25.80%
Civic 1.8V AT 93 17.51%
Altis 1.8VL AT 78 14.69%
Voters: 531. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2008, 07:30   #61
BHPian

All,
Did anyone test drove the Altis? How is the handling?
Old 9th September 2008, 08:22   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding@160mph View Post
considering its just a tuned version of the previous corolla i would think most people would look at it ONLY for the features added...which IMO should have been part of the package ANYWAY for a 13lac car.
1)
The earlier Corolla had 125 bhp engine. It had more real life bottom end torque than Civic and was more drivable. It was a good engine that also managed to give good fuel efficiency along with more real life usable performance.

In the 0-100kmph drag, Civic beat Corolla ( 125 bhp ), but when it came to real life ( mainly in-gear ) acceleration and pulling from lower rpm, Corolla was better.

They have made changes to Valve intake and exhaust system and as a result they are getting more power from the basically same engine. I am sure they have managed to keep the torque advantage intact while extracting more horses.

If we consider this way, then in the new Accord the basic engine remains the same, even in case of Camry and both of these cars are in higher market than Corolla. The earlier generation on Honda Civic used 1.7 ltr engine.Honda continued to use it till it was not possible to further improve and then in this generation ( present generation ) came up a new 1.8 ltr engine.

I think this strategy is quite correct to modify and work on a proven unit. If it managed to do the job perfectly, why worry.

2)
Civic has scored 4/5 stars in Euro NCAP. Source:Euro NCAP - For safer cars | Honda Civic

The earlier geneartion Toyota Corolla also had 4/5 star rating. So 6 years selling + four years in development = 10 year old Corolla chassis scored equal to new generation Civic.
Source:Euro NCAP - For safer cars | Toyota Corolla

And the new generation Corolla ( Corolla Altis in India ) has scored 5/5 stars in Euro NCAP. Source: Euro NCAP - For safer cars | Toyota Corolla

I think that this is by far the biggest advantage.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 9th September 2008 at 08:35.
Old 9th September 2008, 13:36   #63
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I love to high-revv and vote for the Civic over the Altis. There isn't a doubt that the Civic is more of an enthusiastic drive. Plus, its got phenomenal after-market support for mods. The only real obstacle to outright handling prowess is its softie rear suspension....several bolt-on options to solve the problem.

However, the Corolla will have the Civic beaten on comfort, engine driveability characteristics and ground clearance. Fortunately or unfortunately....practicality is rarely a criteria when I am deciding on a car. Yup, its the heart over the head for me!
Old 9th September 2008, 13:59   #64
Senior - BHPian

From my experience, both companies have high levels of deserved loyalty, and that may reflect in the poll results so far. Corolla may be scoring higher because of the novelty factor. Toyota is usually not given to hyperbole but a target of 2,000 a month seems a long shot in the present market.
Old 9th September 2008, 14:06   #65
Senior - BHPian

Altis Advantage

Another advantage to Altis is that Toyota is marketing it well... The other day it looked like whole mall was taken over by Toyota Altis, and there was the car on display too. I think on looks it beats the Civic easily.. See the photos and let the war begin. I would like to see some real life pictures of Civic (not from net) to compair, only if they look better then the Altis shown here..

Poll: Civic V/S Corolla altis-08092008.jpg

Poll: Civic V/S Corolla altis-08092008002.jpg

Poll: Civic V/S Corolla altis-08092008003.jpg

Poll: Civic V/S Corolla altis-08092008004.jpg

Poll: Civic V/S Corolla altis-08092008005.jpg
Old 9th September 2008, 14:21   #66
Senior - BHPian

I had seen similar photos in around Oct 2006 and wanted it ASAP and planned my budget accordingly. Unfortunately, when I needed it, it was still 18 months away, and so I went for the older gen Corolla.
Old 9th September 2008, 17:38   #67
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Another advantage to Altis is that Toyota is marketing it well
The fact that it looks like the substantially more expensive Camry will also help.
Old 9th September 2008, 21:00   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The fact that it looks like the substantially more expensive Camry will also help.
Look wise my vote is for the Civic. But there ends the story. When it comes to driving comfort, engine, GC, boot etc. it is always Corolla. And now with added features the Civic is edged out.

Anyway as many have said, let the war begin. Competition is always good for the consumer. Hope both these companies focus also on A.S.S also to attract buyers apart from just features, price and marketing.
Old 9th September 2008, 21:41   #69
Senior - BHPian

After looking at the images, the car looks much better to me. It surely looks like Camry.
Today, there was a Camry going ahead. I raced the 800 thinking that I will see a new Corolla and after a minute or two, overtook the car. I realized that from the dead rear end, Camry and Corolla look like the same. After overtaking I realized it was a Camry. But yes this car looks better than older generation car.

The advantage of Corolla over Civic will be After Sales and Service. After reading many threads on the dealer experience of Honda, I think that Toyota has a distinct advantage here.

BTW, did someone notice that the rear number plate is not properly fixed in the above images.
Old 9th September 2008, 23:55   #70
Senior - BHPian

Keeping all the features aside 1 Main drawback with the corolla would be its tail lights. Though they look good their protruding design would be an easy target for the handlebars of bikers .
Old 10th September 2008, 10:30   #71
BHPian

spotted the altis today. IMO its far better looker than the old gen. But somehow I found that it was very similiar to the new camry and hence loses its individuality. Toyota could have come up with something more different so that the corolla can stand its own rather than end up looking like the camry's smaller version. But otherwise its much better the previous gen camry, but the new civic looks much better than the altis IMO.
Old 10th September 2008, 13:23   #72
BHPian

Guys,

I have seen the Altis in the Showroom, yes they have some good features but person like me who has an automatic Civic will not pay 2 lacs even if I have the money for the features they are offering,as they are not worth the additional money.

Headlights with washer, just a show off, how much usefull is it in India.
Cruise Control- Indian highways have improved a lot but still you wont get an opportunity to use the cruise, you can hardly drive in the city so where will you use the cruise control.
AT ALtis is 4 speed, how can you do that mistake you need the 5th gear like the civic it gives the rev to come down and you speed more with yes engine noise. better consupmtion as you are low on revs.
The sports shift is tiptronic if not wrong, means you do + and minus with the gear and not paddle shift like the civic, paddle shift is in and is world wide famous, most of the big brands have changed from old shifting like from the gear to paddle shifts.. Audi, Lexus (toyota's premium brand) etc. The sales person says that the paddle shift of the civic is not useful on turnings, bull ****, it is ok as per them for people to drive with one hand as the other one will be on the gear to shift while you are in ghats or whatever.

Yes the suspension is soft of the Civic but it is still a pleasure to drive and speed, I have 17" upgrade and I have full confidence while speeding, had a little less in the original tyres but was never scared to push it to the limits, love the feel and drive of the civic, it is so sporty looking and drives smooth. everytime u sit behind the wheel you just want to drive drive and drive, have taken it to Delhi and guys I did Delhi- Vadodara approx 1000kms in 12hrs and I was in Mumbai in 19 hrs.... Beat that, I have also done it in Scorpio and Santro, Santro was pathetic, But scorpi was still very good the new one, 2.6 Turbo with bonnet scoop, but the civic was mind blowing.

Anyday anytime CIVIC, ALtis still does not suite my taste in looks, performance will test drive and update you, but the 15lacs + mumbai registration is a turn off, why petrol then rather buy a Skoda Laura guys...

Thanks,

Saint,

Meet me on the road for a Joyride
Old 10th September 2008, 13:32   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
BTW, did someone notice that the rear number plate is not properly fixed in the above images.
Good observation.. Thats because of my 4 year old son. In first picture the name plate is ok, but my son gets really excited on seeing Altis (as he thinks there is a small seat, for him, between two front seats, which actually is the arm rest) His excitement resulted in the plate falling and he sticking it back, it was stuck with double sided tapes.
Old 10th September 2008, 13:56   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
Keeping all the features aside 1 Main drawback with the corolla would be its tail lights. Though they look good their protruding design would be an easy target for the handlebars of bikers .
Indeed. And not just handle bars, but hands and possibly even knees of the pillion rider.
The altis looks better then the previous corolla, but isn't a patch on the Civic yet. Honda still carries a decided edge on that front( btw, I also think the Accord to be a better looking car than the Camry)
Old 10th September 2008, 14:27   #75
Senior - BHPian

Well, i was fortunate to TD the Altis yesterday and i must admit the car is quick. Moreover, i was completely sold out on the package i.e interiors, exteriors, engine, comfort and safety.
I would vote for the Altis, hands down. Its a more practical car than the Civic. Moreover, if looks is a concern, then Toyota is offering a fully kitted Altis(see pic) which looks exceptionally hot.

X
Attached Thumbnails
Poll: Civic V/S Corolla altis-1.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks