Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2012, 07:40   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New Ford Ikon TDCi brochure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
I am looking for a pure drivers car, fun to drive on the highways, it will not be used much in the city. not more than 6000km per year usage.
For that kind of usage, it should not make a difference of petrol or diesel. And like Shankar mentioned, try for a new Fiesta Classic as first preference.

The Ikon is also good, but smaller inside than the Fiesta Classic. Other big issue is that in the Ikon TDCi, there is a lot of in-cabin noise when compared to the Fiesta Classic TDCi.

@Shankar, I wont say creaky. I have done 26k so far, and things are holding well. If @Crazy4Cars can get a well used Ikon TDCi, then it should not be a problem.

Last edited by condor : 11th February 2012 at 07:41.
Old 11th February 2012, 08:01   #287
Senior - BHPian

I beg to differ. I drive a fiesta classic tcdi now, previous drive an ikon 1.8D. Even with the heavier endura diesel mill, that car is a brilliant handling one with superb steering position which cannot be matched by the slighly soft suspensioned fiesta. This can be tested when taking a sharp corner even with stock tyre, on an ikon you will never feel the need to lift your foot from the accelerator pedal.

Last edited by ramzsys : 11th February 2012 at 08:11.
Old 11th February 2012, 08:38   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
I beg to differ.
About ?

No doubts about the handling of the Ikon. Actually, if @C4C can find a well maintained Ikon TDCi, then I will not suggest against it for the car itself.

As a current owner of this model, the only things I will highlight to a prospective buyer are
1) the A.S.S - near complete dependency on the A.S.S
2) high levels of noise from engine into the cabin. Not seen in the Fiesta Classic, even with the same engine.
3) When this car was launched, Ford said they had reduced the prices for spares. But one should not expect much difference from earlier prices. When compared to other brands, they are still on the higher side.

Though, #2 can be reduced to some extend by damping the firewall.

Other than these 3 points, the Ikon TDCi itself is a good car, both from driver & passenger PoV. Good comfort, good handling, good power & FE.
Old 11th February 2012, 10:01   #289
BHPian

Thanks guys,

@condor looks like i need to hunt a 1.6 Fiesta Petrol then, any idea about what kind of FE figures can i expect with this car? and we are sure that fiesta spare parts are cheaper than ikon right?

the reason i posted the question to compare the ikon vs the fiesta was because i have heard from many folks on any given day, Ikon handles better than fiesta classic, though i personally feel fiesta classic looks more elegant than any other medium size sedan in the market today.
Old 11th February 2012, 10:10   #290
BHPian

^^
@crazy4.cars

Fiesta 1.6 Petrol should easily return 9 Km/l with AC on in bangalore roads. The only condition is do not shift too much between gears as the engine has good torque spread. Only thing to keep in mind when searching for a preworshipped Fiesta 1.6 is how many KM's the odometer has done. If it has crossed 50 K then a good idea would be to check the clutch life, i.e; if the clutch pedal feels hard or even loose while shifting gears it is a clear sign that the clutch plates are deteriorating which indirectly affects Fuel efficiency and performance
Old 11th February 2012, 10:17   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
^^
@crazy4.cars

Fiesta 1.6 Petrol should easily return 9 Km/l with AC on in bangalore roads. The only condition is do not shift too much between gears as the engine has good torque spread. Only thing to keep in mind when searching for a preworshipped Fiesta 1.6 is how many KM's the odometer has done. If it has crossed 50 K then a good idea would be to check the clutch life, i.e; if the clutch pedal feels hard or even loose while shifting gears it is a clear sign that the clutch plates are deteriorating which indirectly affects Fuel efficiency and performance
9km/litre?

Thats quite less, the honda city gives 12km/litre plus with a 118bhp refined engine, even if the car has done 50000km on the odo and has full service history but like you said there is a good chance of the Clutch being dead, how much do you think it will cost me to replace it?

Like other honda or Suzuki petrol engines, does the Ford engine have a life of 2lakh km plus? or maintainence is high with ford engines?
Old 11th February 2012, 10:22   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys,

@condor looks like i need to hunt a 1.6 Fiesta Petrol then, any idea about what kind of FE figures can i expect with this car? and we are sure that fiesta spare parts are cheaper than ikon right?

the reason i posted the question to compare the ikon vs the fiesta was because i have heard from many folks on any given day, Ikon handles better than fiesta classic, though i personally feel fiesta classic looks more elegant than any other medium size sedan in the market today.
Crazy4: why are u discussing the same thing in two threads? Suggest you stick to used car thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...hread-279.html
Old 11th February 2012, 13:58   #293
BHPian

Quote:
9km/litre?

Thats quite less, the honda city gives 12km/litre plus with a 118bhp refined engine, even if the car has done 50000km on the odo and has full service history but like you said there is a good chance of the Clutch being dead, how much do you think it will cost me to replace it?

Like other honda or Suzuki petrol engines, does the Ford engine have a life of 2lakh km plus? or maintainence is high with ford engines?
Clutch overhaul could be anywhere between 8-12k at ford dealerships. This duratec 1.6 is not fully american as you might think, it's a Japanese Mazda engine. Engine life is not an issue. My fiesta 2006 1.6 has crossed 120,00 on the odo and apart from suspension and clutch overhaul I have not changed things like Timing belt etc which is recommended by all manufacturers after the car has crossed 80 K.

The DTE on the Fiesta is quite accurate if measured. I have done many Tank full to Tank full methods, and my car always returns in the range of 10-11 in the city and drops to 7-8 if i Redline her. My observation is that many people say average is 9-10 but if you can drive sedately Im sure this engine can match the Honda's 12 km/l.

This engine may not be refined as a Honda 1.5 but it sure does leave you grinning when red lined
Old 11th February 2012, 14:17   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hi all

sorry to wake up a dead thread.

I wanted to know if the ford Ikon is better handling car when compared to the fiesta classic today.

Say if i'm going to the used car market and looking for a fiesta classic or the ford ikon in petrol or diesel, should have not clocked more than 20000km, which car should i prefer?

I am looking for a pure drivers car, fun to drive on the highways, it will not be used much in the city. not more than 6000km per year usage.
Ikon is more nimble and chucable. In city it is more fun and better than a Fiesta. Brakes are a weak point.

Fiesta feels more solid and durable. On the highway, it handles way better.

Ikon interiors will not make you happy. As newer models are very rare in the market; finding a pre-WORSHPPED one is rare.

If your budget is flexible upto 5 lakhs; you might be able to get 2006 Civics though run higher. It will be much more fun; else a used Fiesta is a great option. There are plenty in the market from 2.5 to 5 lakhs depending on age and kms run.
Old 11th February 2012, 16:01   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
looks like i need to hunt a 1.6 Fiesta Petrol then, ..
i have heard from many folks on any given day, Ikon handles better than fiesta classic
Be patient, and find a good, low-mileage 1.6S. It's a driver's car. And for the running you have mentioned, you should not worry much about FE, or cost of spares. It is more comfortable than the Ikon, IMO.

Quote:
i personally feel fiesta classic looks more elegant ..
It Is ! And that is one more reason for you to go for the Fiesta.

Try both cars for a start (go to some used car dealerships - just to try).
Old 12th February 2012, 21:18   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
Clutch overhaul could be anywhere between 8-12k at ford dealerships. This duratec 1.6 is not fully american as you might think, it's a Japanese Mazda engine. Engine life is not an issue. My fiesta 2006 1.6 has crossed 120,00 on the odo and apart from suspension and clutch overhaul I have not changed things like Timing belt etc which is recommended by all manufacturers after the car has crossed 80 K.

The DTE on the Fiesta is quite accurate if measured. I have done many Tank full to Tank full methods, and my car always returns in the range of 10-11 in the city and drops to 7-8 if i Redline her. My observation is that many people say average is 9-10 but if you can drive sedately Im sure this engine can match the Honda's 12 km/l.

This engine may not be refined as a Honda 1.5 but it sure does leave you grinning when red lined
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Ikon is more nimble and chucable. In city it is more fun and better than a Fiesta. Brakes are a weak point.

Fiesta feels more solid and durable. On the highway, it handles way better.

Ikon interiors will not make you happy. As newer models are very rare in the market; finding a pre-WORSHPPED one is rare.

If your budget is flexible upto 5 lakhs; you might be able to get 2006 Civics though run higher. It will be much more fun; else a used Fiesta is a great option. There are plenty in the market from 2.5 to 5 lakhs depending on age and kms run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Be patient, and find a good, low-mileage 1.6S. It's a driver's car. And for the running you have mentioned, you should not worry much about FE, or cost of spares. It is more comfortable than the Ikon, IMO.

It Is ! And that is one more reason for you to go for the Fiesta.

Try both cars for a start (go to some used car dealerships - just to try).
Thanks all,

@Condor, yes i'm waiting patiently for a good deal to come on my hands.

There are a few points for which i am still thinking on,

The ikon 1.3 and 1.6 are easily available for 2lakhs or maximum 2.5-3lakhs.

The Fiesta 1.6 are just not available for below 3.5lakhs and that too most of them are 60000 plus on the ODO.

Now i feel yearly 6000km is the target but may be it may go upto 10000km after i start enjoying the car a lot, then i'll be stuck paying the petrol bills if the fiesta 1.6 gives me only 10km/litre.

The Honda City's are available for 5lakhs and the OLd shape is for as low as 2.5lakhs well maintained ones, these honda's would deliver 12km/litre plus in my hands so not much of a worry if i cross 6000km per annum, but i am wondering about their handling capacity, since you guys have owned fords in the past any thoughts about the Honda city handling if any of you have driven a city?

On the other hand i'm also thinking of how about looking for a diesel fiesta classic, i agree i wont get one for below 5lakhs, but if my running becomes more i do not have to care and continue owning the car for 5 years
But sadly i have heard a lot about the Diesel fiesta performance, it has only 70BHP on tap, 8value engine, SOHC, good for the city but horrible on the highway.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks