Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2008, 20:05   #256
BHPian

Face Lift

I think everyone here in the forum and outside are expecting major changes whenever a manufacturer goes for a face lift of an existing model like ABS, Air bags, Change in dashboard etc. It is not very easy or it becomes costly to make changes drastically. There is a reason why faclifts are done with bumpers, console etc. Most of the plastic parts used in the car are generally made by injection moulding. The moulding tool life is about 1 million impressions. So any manufacturer can go for the change in design only if they have fully utilised the tool. In case of a car the bumpers are sold more than the car as accident will damage the bumpers first. So the tool will reach its end of life earlier than any other part of the car. This is one major reason why all manufacturers opt to change the bumpers and its related glass parts (which is less complicated and low manufacturing cost compared to others). This can be checked with any OEM in India and outside.
Old 11th November 2008, 20:33   #257
BHPian

"[quote=GeekSrik;1048550]Well gentleman, I am not sure what you mean by nonsense suspension. The only two types I am aware is a soft or hard suspension. Both cases, the suspension would protect you wonderfully over bad roads, but in the former, you dont feel it at all (which also is a cause for the car scraping roadhumps when loaded - eg, logan, or civic etc) and on the latter, you still get protected though you do get a feeling of the bad patch of road you ve just driven through. Ikon has the former, swift has the latter.

Now I am curious whether you have really driven a swift? What makes you feel so? Just sit in my car, I ll show you what the ride feels like."

See I dont wanna argue on the quality of swift suspension or anything. Its that its not just the driver who would be in a car. The rear seat comfort does matter for long journeys. I have DRIVEN a petrol swift for over 200kms in a strech, no issues agree. But travelling in both petrol (2yr old) and a brand new Vdi I felt the rear seat comfort is far too bad. One night we had a drive through the highway in front of my office in the brand new swift vdi which my colleague bought, and we could really count the patches. Same test we did with my esteem and alto over the same stretch and it was far better.

'Rally-based' and things i agree, but end of the day who really doesnt want a soft suspension? are yaar it IS annoying, these patches. Indian roads we need soft suspension. In fact my 'only' let down for Swift is that. When I am spending so much on a car i need confort as a top priority no matter what.
Old 11th November 2008, 22:31   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
Well gentleman, I am not sure what you mean by nonsense suspension. The only two types I am aware is a soft or hard suspension. Both cases, the suspension would protect you wonderfully over bad roads, but in the former, you dont feel it at all (which also is a cause for the car scraping roadhumps when loaded - eg, logan, or civic etc) and on the latter, you still get protected though you do get a feeling of the bad patch of road you ve just driven through. Ikon has the former, swift has the latter
Swift's suspension a big let down IMO! Travel in the rear seat from Bangalore to Ambur which is hardly a 160KM/2 to 3 hours journey gave me a back ache! A big thumb down from me in that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
People going for Ikon, I would not recommend swift to you. I would recommend you to drive every car in your would-like-to-drive list, then sit and think with a cool head whether the one you are betting your money on will keep you happy. If it does, well and good. And oh yes, sometimes, listen to your mind rather than the heart.
You got me completely confused with those statements! It would be better if you could explain!

I see a lot of people here complaining about Ford not providing the remote boot release as standard option in the Ikon. Does the LDi version of the Swift Family come with atleast a power windows!?

Last edited by anachronix : 11th November 2008 at 22:34. Reason: Quoted
Old 12th November 2008, 13:28   #259
BHPian

Hi All,
I am planning to buy the new ford ikon as my first car... I would like to know when is the right time to buy the car... Its already mid november and so, my friends are telling me to wait for another 1.5 months and get a 2009 model of the same car, so that the resale value later-on need not be compromised...

Any opinions on this?
Old 12th November 2008, 14:17   #260
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Hi All,
I am planning to buy the new ford ikon as my first car... I would like to know when is the right time to buy the car... Its already mid november and so, my friends are telling me to wait for another 1.5 months and get a 2009 model of the same car, so that the resale value later-on need not be compromised...

Any opinions on this?
Username, if you can afford to wait, then do so. However, usually the manufacturers play smart by slightly increasing the prices. Depending on how the car sales fare, you may or may not have discounts at your disposal.
Old 12th November 2008, 14:35   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

@username, if you want a 2009 make, your purchase will need to wait till atleast Feb 2009.
Old 13th November 2008, 12:17   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@username, if you want a 2009 make, your purchase will need to wait till atleast Feb 2009.

BE IT ANY NEW CAR LAUNCHED IN THE WORLD - ITS WISER TO WAIT FOR 5-6 MONTHS BEFORE BUYING.
The advantages being :-
1) You can get more reviews on the net.
2) Manufacturer gets a chance to rectify some of the initial teething issues.
3) Sales figures speak for themselves about a cars performance.

So if not 6 months wait atleast till feb-march 2009 to buy the new Ikon diesel. Thats my view. Then regarding the price increase, as many feel, I dont think Ford Ikon TDCi can stay in the competition with price same as Dzire VDi. I should be inside this 6 lac Bracket.
Old 13th November 2008, 14:38   #263
BHPian

That's true, a 2009 mark in the chassis would fetch you better resale but you wont get one until Mar'09 due to inventories!

Its also better to buy a car that has spent 6 months in the market to allow for any engineering bugs & fixes that the car manufactuer would have done based on user feedback and you also get a chance to hear first hand product feedback (but for the iKon, both the chassis & the engine+tranny is proven separately but as a package, the marriage aka integration needs validation).

In the current economic environment, you are better off waiting until Mar'09 to allow the interest rates to free fall and manufacturers throwing in all sorts of goodies to woo the customers!

My take, dont get excited but wait until Mar'09.

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Hi All,

Any opinions on this?
Old 14th November 2008, 11:17   #264
BHPian

Hello All,
Thanks for your feedbacks... I have decided to wait till about Feb '09 to book the car. Your reasoning seems very valid...

Thanks once again people...
Old 14th November 2008, 20:30   #265
Senior - BHPian

the ikon looks really cool, but the inside is horrible with that aweful beige color, could have been grey/black like the fiesta s.
here's the car when launched in kolkata.
Attached Thumbnails
New Ford Ikon TDCi brochure!-141108_043929.jpg  

Old 14th November 2008, 20:41   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
... but the inside is horrible with that aweful beige color,....
Unfortunately the awful beige being has become industry standard – some even put it as a feature in their brochure
Old 15th November 2008, 14:55   #267
evo
BHPian

in case of the ikon, the beige interiors have done a world of good to the car IMO, I find them much better than the shady looking grey bad plastic interiors
Old 15th November 2008, 20:21   #268
BHPian

Parts Price

The dealers came for a road show with the Ikon TDCI near my office. When i enquired about the cost of spares they told that it would be on par with the competitors and they also showed a small comparison chart which shows that Ikon diesel maintenence cost lesser than swift, logan. When i asked what are the things included in this comparison he just told what ever came to his mind but did not substantiate with any document. The salesman also told that 85% of the parts are localised so it will be priced equivalent to competitors. Since my friend wanted to test drive and i wanted to have a look at the pricing of parts we walked in to the dealer's place today. The test vehicle was out for some customer place and when i asked the salesman to just show the parts list with price he bluntly refused and said that they have not received it yet and will show it only as a comparison with few parts of the competitors even that was not available now. I asked him what are my chances fo having a look at it. He said there are no chances

I asked him twice are you sure that i cannot look into the parts price list before buying the vehicle. He said that no dealer shows them to customers as customers would claim with that price whenever they come for service.

I did not go fo further arguement and said that i was 90% inclined towards buying the car but was little sceptical about parts and maintenance. Now i am forced to reverse it and moved out.
Old 15th November 2008, 20:39   #269
Team-BHP Support

Please let him know that this is the reason why you might not buy the car and see his reaction. Also, please do not buy a ford unless they are giving you warranty for 3 and 4th year on parts like the ignition coil, fuel pump, poewr steering rack.
Old 15th November 2008, 21:34   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
in case of the ikon, the beige interiors have done a world of good to the car IMO, I find them much better than the shady looking grey bad plastic interiors
I do not mean that beige is bad. It is good and it has many takers. But why only beige and only beige? – Across most manufacturers! Why not give some options?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks