Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2008, 18:49   #121
BHPian

i have stopped taking my vehicle to office.
is it safe to take it after 6pm as RTO office timings will be over by then??
Old 16th December 2008, 19:18   #122
Senior - BHPian

The theory or X number of Vehicle.

Why not these lawmakers understand that:

if, X number of outside registration number vehicle are present in particular state, at the same time, where applies, X+-z (Where z stands for very small number) of that said particular state registration number vehicle are out of that state. This law itself explain the equilibrium concept.

AP, TN, MH, KL, OR, MP, DL and so on registered car are driven in Karnataka, Similarly Karnataka registered car are driven in AP, TN, MH, KL, OR, MP, DL and so on...
Old 17th December 2008, 08:12   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
No tax required, per my understanding. If you have TN-24 registration, you are doing nothing illegal by travelling from your residence to another state everyday.
@hrag: My vehicle is TN-20 (Chennai Registration) . Now staying in Hosur and traveling to Electronic city. What do i do if they catch me?
Old 17th December 2008, 08:52   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
No tax required, per my understanding. If you have TN-24 registration, you are doing nothing illegal by travelling from your residence to another state everyday.
Dear Hrishi Sir,

This is the same bet I am taking every day since I drive a Hosur (TN24) car. All my credentials read Hosur address and all the cops know its only 6Kms from the border. Have been caught once, after explaining them where is hosur, they let me off with a 50Rs chai-biscuit fee... i still dont know for what...

EDIT -

Before 2006, TN29 also was Hosur RTO, after it came under Krishnagiri Dist, they changed it to TN24.

Last edited by svsantosh : 17th December 2008 at 08:54.
Old 17th December 2008, 10:25   #125
Senior - BHPian

yesterday at flagged down at KR puram in front of the temple , since every document was fine and the PUC was Dated in November 2008 , from Trivandrum they let me go , but they did try it out on me for the LT.

I held my ground and told them that i am aware of the rules and will take it to court if necessary. I did not even show them the petrol bill, though i had them handy !. They just let me go .
Old 17th December 2008, 10:45   #126
BHPian

I have an Assam registered Uno, currently at Mysore. Was planning to goto banglore this weekend. I already have an NOC for my car, got it around 6 months ago when I was planning to sell the car in Mysore.
Is the NOC be enough to deter any fines?
Also, the car is less than 12 months in Mysore. I have the transport papers. Will this help?
Any advice will be helpful...
Thanks!
Old 17th December 2008, 11:05   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekswarup View Post
I have an Assam registered Uno, currently at Mysore. Was planning to goto banglore this weekend. I already have an NOC for my car, got it around 6 months ago when I was planning to sell the car in Mysore.
Also, the car is less than 12 months in Mysore. I have the transport papers. Will this help?
Any advice will be helpful...
Thanks!
i belive that an doc less tha two / three months of age will raise eye brows ....now thats my opinion ...
Old 17th December 2008, 11:16   #128
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
@hrag: My vehicle is TN-20 (Chennai Registration) . Now staying in Hosur and traveling to Electronic city. What do i do if they catch me?
No worries. You are travelling from your residence to office everyday. They just happen to be in different states. As long as you have address proof, you are fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
All my credentials read Hosur address and all the cops know its only 6Kms from the border.
You have absolutely nothing to worry about. And you can stick to your guns like kb100 says.
Old 17th December 2008, 11:27   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekswarup View Post
Thanks!
I smell some trouble here. If you have an NOC that is 6 months old, technically that means you are out of your home state and entered some other state (read KA). if you show this 6 month old NOC to any RTO/police, they will assume you entered KA 6 months back and then they will charge the tax plus some fine for the past 6 months.
This was what exactly that happened to my friend who proudly waved the NOC only to be made to shell out fine for the period from which NOC was issued..
Old 17th December 2008, 16:43   #130
Senior - BHPian

Grounds for PIL to Honourable High Court

Dear BHPians,

Tax structure for cars in different states are very different. When a car shift from origin state to destination state, it has to pay tax in destination state and then apply for refund of tax from origin state.

In a way this rule does really help states getting much revenue as at the same time the destination state has to refund tax for outgoing vehicle. This adds to harassment to the people from origin as well as destination state.

First we can qualify what is the ground for filing PIL:

1. Since, India is a democratic country hence all citizens have fundamental right to work and earn in any part of country. For that, citizen will move with his assets to state where he will be going to stay and earn.

2. The car, asset which he purchased from origin state has duly paid the tax on it at the time of purchase.

3. Since, car is a movable asset so it is bound to move any part of the country.

4. If a person pays tax in origin state and moves to destination state, by current law, he has to pay road tax on car at destination state. At the same time, some person from destination state might have moved to any other state of country, in this case it has to refund road tax to the owner.

5. Current road tax law leads to corruption than revenue generation.

6. Procedure is very cumbersome and it takes months to complete.

7. Citizens of one state being harassed by police or authority of another state, in which he moved.

8. In Income tax laws, If a person earns in other country and pays tax there, he need not to pay tax in his home country, when he produce valid document for the same. There is not re-taxation and refund mechanism.

9. If this law change, it will give more sense of freedom to citizens of India.

10. In the age of globalization, this law leads to localization.

11. It will help to reduce the work burden of RTO for maintaining data for other state vehicle and refund of tax.

What steps need to take in order to waive tax for other state vehicle: (Suggestions)

1. The owner has to register his vehicle in destination state within six months of arrival, upon paying nominal fee.

2. The vehicle database should be made central and all RTO should be equipped with facility to inquire about any vehicle of India, with the help of registration number.

3. All RTO of India should be connected in order to exchange information with the help of IT Infrastructure.

4. If vehicle complete 15 years (Life time) he can re-pay tax in destination state upon production of document.

5. If a person purchase vehicle in a place then he should have valid documents to prove that he is resident of that particular area/locality/district/state.

6. Vehicle should be fined, if found not registered in the destination state after six months of arrival. (Ref: Pt. 1)

These are the points, I could make out from my mind. I am not lawyer and I cannot think about some finer points. We can take help of lawyer for this. All BHPians please add your valid points too.

Can we arrange a meeting in near future at Bangalore to discuss more about this topic and form a working group which can start work for this cause upon advise of all members? We need Volunteers for this. This is for all people of India.

Note: This meeting should be open all Non KA registered vehicle owners as well as all KA registered vehicle owners. It can be possible that KA registered vehicle can move to TN, AP or any other state. This is for all.

Friends, please do not think of result now. It can be positive, it can be negative, it can take time, but we have to take initiative.

You also can write/email to ministry of surface transport on MORTH

Last edited by anujmishra : 17th December 2008 at 16:53.
Old 17th December 2008, 16:51   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
You also can write/email to ministry of surface transport on MORTH
Infact I had written to the Ministry of Surface Transport and this is what I got as response.

Government of India
Ministry of Shipping, Road Transport & Highways

(Department of Road Transport & Highways)
No.RT-23018/4/2008-T New Delhi, the 13th August 2008

To

Shri Joe Cherian

Subject: Representation of Shri Joe Cherian regarding road tax for vehicles from other states.

Sir,

I am directed to refer to your e-mail dated 18/7/2008 on the above noted subject and to say that as per Section 47 of the M.V. Act, 1988 the vehicle owner has to seek fresh registration of vehicle under the new Transport Authority in case the vehicle is transferred to a new state and kept for more than 12 months.

2. At the time of registration of motor vehicle, the vehicle owner has to deposit the requisite road tax as prescribed by the concerned State Governments. However, while seeking fresh registration of vehicle due to change in residence/place of business, the vehicle owner may seek refund of road tax on pro-rata basis from the initial registering authority.

It is further clarified that road tax on Motor Vehicles is a State subject under Constitution of India. The Central Government does not levy any tax on Motor Vehicles.

Yours faithfully,
Sd/-
(P.P.Nair)
Under Secretary to the Govt. of India

As per this mail, road tax has to be paid only after a period of 12 months in any other state. I think this is the part that needs clarity.

Last edited by joecherian : 17th December 2008 at 16:53.
Old 17th December 2008, 16:56   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
As per this mail, road tax has to be paid only after a period of 12 months in any other state. I think this is the part that needs clarity.

Good Job.
But I read it just a little differently.

You have upto 12 months to get this done.
Failing which every day in excess of the 12 months makes you liable for prosecution.
Old 17th December 2008, 16:56   #133
Team-BHP Support

Make it like the west. Remove lifetime tax
Person has to pay tax every year, and depending upon where he/she is located currently(at the time of expiry of reg), he pays tax.
Simple.
Old 17th December 2008, 17:00   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Make it like the west. Remove lifetime tax
Person has to pay tax every year, and depending upon where he/she is located currently(at the time of expiry of reg), he pays tax.
Simple.
Then people who dont move between states will start complaining about having to pay the tax every year.
Old 17th December 2008, 17:02   #135
Senior - BHPian

or make it a centralized taxing system where every one pays same amount of tax and any vehicle can be used anywhere for however long they want to
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks